04-02-2015, 12:22 AM
LMAO

xvigauge

Bored1
04-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Awesome!!!!

Bzcraig
04-02-2015, 01:13 AM
That is something I would do, nothing better than scaring someone real good. Wife and I do so to each other all the time, keeps the heart strong.

Artful
04-02-2015, 01:43 AM
Geez reminds me of a story a mill wright friend told me - up on 3rd floor of a plant working on steel pipes that carry saw dust down to the ground floor - had the pipe open the were rewelding the elbows as the saw dust abrades thru the outside of the curve - anyway just after lunch a guy was welding or cutting anyway making sparks and someone filled a lunch bag full of acetylene gas and rolled across the floor and a spark set it off with a pow and the guy jump back straight into the tube - whoosh down two stories and into the sawdust pile - came back up the stairs with a two pound hammer looking for blood.

w5pv
04-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Punch a small hole in a foam coffe cup then get you a long lazy blue flame on a cutting rig,snuff it out and put just a tad in in the cup it will make a pretty good loud boom.If you put too much it will make people look out of the office windows to see what went kaaaaaboooom.This first hand information.

bullet maker 57
04-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Great cartoon.

thegatman
04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Great cartoon. Reminds me of the time a primer went off while i was reloading.

Hickory
04-02-2015, 08:44 AM
I saw a cartoon years ago that was classic.
It was a deer hunter in a tree stand and above the hunter were two deer.
This caption read; "We're safe here, they never look up."

jmorris
04-02-2015, 09:08 AM
someone filled a lunch bag full of acetylene gas and rolled across the floor and a spark set it off with a pow

Pow is an understatement a rubber glove full sounds like a 44 mag.

cliff55
04-02-2015, 09:27 AM
milk jugs work well

Master_Mechanic
04-02-2015, 09:58 AM
couple 100lb fertilizer bags full of oxy/act will move a fertilizer truck

firebrick43
04-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Filled a garbage bag full of acetylene many moons ago. Set it off in a gulch in the middle of a a section field (1 square mile/640). It was down in a gulch where field stone was disposed of.

Still cracked a neighbors window 1/2 a mile off!
Two weather balloons (one filled the helium/other acetylene) tied together and a strong string and roll of Tolbert paper tied on as well. Pay out the string and toilet paper until fully unrolled. Light the toilet paper and leave the area. Lots of phone calls reporting a UFO or fireball in the sky.

When I started reloading it was with a lee loader just to try it out. Had a section of 4x4 that was about 24" long. Would set it on end between my legs and reloaded at the couch. One night I was re priming and one went off. Can't say I wasn't surprised but my was startled so badly she jumped off the couch and made it half way down the hall screaming before I got her to stop.

jmorris
04-02-2015, 06:54 PM
As good a time as any to point out garbage bags full can be set off by static electricity and are capable of giving you a permanent 30db hearing loss in a millisecond, or worse.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Did a grocery bag full, and still don't know how it didn't blow all the windows out that were about 20 feet away. It doesn't go pop, it goes KABOOM!

firebrick43
04-03-2015, 01:10 AM
As good a time as any to point out garbage bags full can be set off by static electricity and are capable of giving you a permanent 30db hearing loss in a millisecond, or worse.
Thank you very much! Very good reason not to do it. I had a 8088 that dust stuck terrible to and I had some type of anti static spray I sprayed down the bag with but it was still a bad idea. My father did instill the wearing of hearing protection and it was in a hole so at least I didn't damage my hearing. I thankfully survived a wild adolescence without killing myself.

This, coupled with the damage caused when a neighbor accidentally knocked the valve off a oxygen tank gave me great respect for all industrial gases and compressed air.

Acetylene is actually unstable. It's dissolved in acetone and tanks have a porous medium to hold the acetone. Learned a lot, afterwards to scare me into not screwing with actelyne again

Green Frog
04-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Calcium Carbide in water decomposes to release acetylene gas. Farmers (and some enterprising kids) used this fact to make cannons that would have a drip control to generate gas until there was enough to set off with a bang. Farmers used them to scare off birds, kids used them to p1$$ off the neighbors. Ah yes, those were the days!

Froggie

jmorris
04-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Acetylene is actually unstable. It's dissolved in acetone and tanks have a porous medium to hold the acetone.

This is why you can lay down an oxygen cylinder and use it but not an acetylene one, don't want to squirt out flammable liquids.

Calcium Carbide in water decomposes to release acetylene gas. Farmers (and some enterprising kids) used this fact to make cannons that would have a drip control to generate gas until there was enough to set off with a bang.

Miners also used helmet mounted lamps that ran off the acetylene produced by calcium carbide and water.

They are antiques these days as OSHA would have a fit with the concept. But reminds me I need to get some more calcium carbide and play with the one I have again.

pete501
04-05-2015, 01:48 PM
You will need oxygen along with the acetylene to make a boom. Acetylene alone just flames up.

Another property of acetylene is that it is volatile at 15 psi. I have filled an empty vegi sack inside a Gatorade bottle with Ox-Acetl mix, sealed it and then shot it with a 22lr. You have a loud exploding target. The bullet increases pressure causing the explosion. Nice joke to pull at your next target shoot.

tallwalker
04-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Rolled over a primer with my stool at the loading bench a while back. Made me want to go change my pants.

dikman
04-06-2015, 01:40 AM
When I was younger these things always sounded funny. Now that I'm older, not so much.......

jmorris
04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah, it's a risk vs reward. Of course before you become an "old" male human you are actually invincible.

When I was a kid I would load 357 mag up to 41 mag levels, now that I am older I down load a 44 instead.

daengmei
04-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Played with the carbide when I was a kid in the coal fields of WV. We shot paint cans into the air, made lots of noise doin it. Then we got the idea of filling balloons from soda bottles and using the tie string as a fuse. Put them along the bridge in the dark and from underneath set off the fuse. Drivers didn't like the large fireballs one bit. Then the local state police came by.....they weren't too upset but made us stop before someone wound up in the creek. Maybe 9 or 10 years old. Had to do something when we ran out of BB's. We did fish a lot, but not in the creek at home, it was orange from the mine runoff that eventually got cleaned up. Nice and clear now.

starmac
04-06-2015, 11:04 PM
My Sil is a chef at one of the fancier resteraunts here in town. Yesterday (Easter Sunday) they ran 600 people through the buffet during the noon rush. One of the dishwashers decided to put a dry ice bomb in a trashcan for some unknown reason. Exceptionally loud boom in the dining room. From what I hear, he was fired without even asking him why he did it. lol

pete501
04-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Dry ice bombs can get you in trouble. Making them is considered Felony Bomb Making.

jmorris
04-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Dry ice bombs can get you in trouble. Making them is considered Felony Bomb Making.

I would not have thought this until yesterday I heard on the radio that somewhere around Dallas they were running an investigation into "IED's" found, constructed from plastic bottles.

Guess you need to make sure you don't put the cap back on after you drop the Mentos in the Coke...

waksupi
04-07-2015, 12:44 PM

6mm win lee
04-07-2015, 04:41 PM

You don't want to use the flameless heater packs from MREs and a little water capped off in a plastic pop bottle either. A Civil Air Patrol cadet chucked one into another cadet's tent one night and was rewarded with an eighteen month stay at a Spa ran by the State. This happened about fifteen or so years ago.

MaryB
04-07-2015, 11:15 PM
One of the guys I knew back in high school made a tennis ball cannon from black plumbing pipe. Filled the bottom chamber with oxy/acetylene... thing would launch a flaming tennis ball 3 blocks. Was fun until he landed one in dry brush along a hillside... no jail time but they took away his toy.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Humm, I ought to check out in the garage and see if I kept my carbide lamp - used it for caving. I don't think I did. Yup, carbide and water and something to ignite it.

jmorris
04-08-2015, 06:24 PM
On most forms the thread would have already been closed, this stuff is quite easy to set off and can hurt you or worse. Not to mention legal issues but safety first.

Any "new" guys that might be tempted, at a minimum do not be near any container you fill with Oxy/act. As I said in #14 even in a plastic bag that can't hold a few PSI you can develop enough pressure at ignition to cause a change in your life forever.

A few hundred feet of hose will at least put distance between you and the mixed gas. Run both hoses into the container, one will fill with mixed gases (tip of torch in say the red hose), the other hose will allow air to escape the container. A rifle bullet going through plastic will set it off or if the container is under water a spark at the fill end of the hose will run down the inside and set it off. Don't even think about using anything that might send shrapnel or you are asking for trouble.

First suggestion would be to not do it at all, second would be to make sure no one will get hurt "playing".