PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing w FL sizer

mattd
04-01-2015, 10:04 PM
If your neck sizing w a full length sizer by not screwing it down all the way....how far do you run the sized 'ring' down the neck?

flounderman
04-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Using cases that chamber easy, Jacketed bullets, in a bolt rifle, I don't like to size more than 2/3 of the neck. Bullets need to be seated to just clear the rifling. Seat one a little long, chamber it and note the engraving on the bullet from the rifling. Seat the bullets that much shorter. Cast is another story and there are people that can give better advice on cast than I can.

Vulcan Bob
04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Smoke the neck with sight black or color it with black marking pen. Back off sizeing die a few turns and raise ram with case, turn in die by hand until you feel it touch the case. Lower the ram and turn die in a bit at a time, as it sizes the neck you can see on your neck markings how far down the neck you are. I usually size the neck to just short of the shoulder to give the bullet as much grip as it can.

Gofaaast
04-01-2015, 10:51 PM
I just neck size by placing the round disc RCBS includes with their dies between the sizing die and the shell holder. I then lower the handle of the press so the ram is at the top of its stroke. Screw your die down snug against the disc. This has always worked for me if the brass is only used in one rifle.

Motor
04-01-2015, 10:52 PM
I do exactly like Vulcan Bob. I just use case lube as a marker kind of like a reverse dip stick.

You will get a little case body sizing it's unavoidable. But using this method (which is normally called short sizing) does work very well for many rifles.

I short size my 7.62x54R brass and it still fits all 4 of my Mosin Nagants. It really extends case life especially if you anneal the necks when needed.

Motor

country gent
04-01-2015, 10:56 PM
It depends on what your trying to do or accomplish with neck sizing cases. I ussually start with about .100 from mouth ( 1/8') of case down. More or less isnt a big deal. This was more popular before the advent of the bushing dies available today. A set of bushing dies and a few bushing in .001 increments allows neck tension to be adjusted to case neck thickness, bullet dia, any coatings used. If partial neck sizing watch that the shoulder dosnt get pushed or pulled forward in the process. What cartridge are you planning on trying this with? Some do better than others as some rifles accept this more than others.

EDG
04-01-2015, 11:48 PM
It depends on how large your chamber and die are compared to each other and how much taper there is in the case.

It does not work too well with a straight body no neck wonder like the .243.

Trim the neck completely off of a case fired in your rifle.
Then drop that into your FL die. That is all you can get before you start sizing the case body.
When you start sizing the case body you are squeezing in the sides of the case and this starts pushing the shoulder forward.
When the shoulder starts moving forward your "unsized" case will get hard to chamber.

The result - long neck tapered cases work much better.
For a short neck straight case you may have to buy a real neck sizing die.

If your neck sizing w a full length sizer by not screwing it down all the way....how far do you run the sized 'ring' down the neck?

mattd
04-02-2015, 09:05 AM
I was doing 223s last nite, but I do it on all my bottle neck rounds. Just wondering how far you guys take it down. I had been going down closer to the shoulder, but went with 2/3rd of the way down this time. Maybe it will help line things up better.

I've never had to smoke, or color my necks. I can easily distinguish the sized part from the non.

Moonie
04-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Before I purchased neck sizing dies I would use a dime on the shell holder as a guide so the sizing was repeatable. Worked well.

tdoor4570
04-02-2015, 12:46 PM
I just set my die up to full length size then put a 7/8 flat washer between lockring and press neckswizes just right for me

largom
04-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Hornady makes a "Cartridge Headspace Gauge" That measures when you touch the shoulder. If you set the shoulder back 1 or 2 thousands you will not have problems chambering the cartridge.
Midsouth Shooters Supply # 005- HK66

Larry