PDA

View Full Version : Help with a MYPIN TA4 PID

Slinger
04-01-2015, 07:06 PM
I put together a PID controller using a MYPIN T Series TA4. The thermocouple was registering the room temp. and was off according to two other digital thermometers by several degrees. I boiled water (the only constant I have to adjust to) and set the INPUT OFFSET PARAMETER (corrects thermocouple reading) to 3 in order for the PID to read 212 degrees. I'm unsure about the correct setting for the Control Hysteresis. I have it on 1.0.

My PID only has 1 alarm, which I set to all zeros. I'm not really interested in using the Alarm.

I'm questioning these setting because I've set the PID to train itself twice, but the temperature will vary approx. 5 degrees. from my set temp. of 710 degrees.

If you fellas using the MYPIN could help me out on the settings I'd certainly appreciate it!!!

Yodogsandman
04-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Quit training it, it will smooth out after cycling a few times.

Mike W1
04-01-2015, 08:14 PM
I don't have a Mypin but I notice Frozone's manual shows the Control Hysteresis as a 1.0 like you have it!

Slinger
04-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I have his manual, but I wonder if others have had to adjust the thermocouple setting. Some of the terms used in the manual don't mean a whole lot to me as I don't have an electronics background. I know some of the settings are supposed to be left alone and I did just that.

Mike W1
04-01-2015, 11:19 PM
All I can really go by are mine, a SYL-2352 and a Rex C100. Long as they're set for a K type TC (and mine came that way) the only thing that needed to be changed from factory settings was the P, I, and D and autotuning takes care of that part. Both my units automatically revert to another setting on the AT menu when they're done. It takes at least 3 cycles I'm thinking overshooting and undershooting the set value. 10-20 minutes or so. Mine usually stay about ± 1 or 2 °.

mongoose33
04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
All I can really go by are mine, a SYL-2352 and a Rex C100. Long as they're set for a K type TC (and mine came that way) the only thing that needed to be changed from factory settings was the P, I, and D and autotuning takes care of that part. Both my units automatically revert to another setting on the AT menu when they're done. It takes at least 3 cycles I'm thinking overshooting and undershooting the set value. 10-20 minutes or so. Mine usually stay about ± 1 or 2 °.

I've swapped my PID between my Lee Production Pot IV and the heater on my lube sizer (I have a bead thermocouple epoxied to the base). Temp for the pot is 700 degrees; for the sizer, around 85 degrees depending on what I'm trying to do.

It gets to where I want in about the same as Mike says above. While things are settling down to a stable temp, I'm preparing the rest of my workspace. In the Lee pot, I might have 5 or 7 degrees of overshoot; for the lube sizer, since I've run it several times in a row on that device, the PID inches up to the right temperature.

Rather than just turn on the heater and run it up to temp, the PID blips the heater on and off as it inches its way up. That's because of the training its done in previous sessions. Takes a bit longer to do that.

Slinger
04-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Did you fellas check the accuracy of your thermocouple in reading temp. by checking it in boiling water or some other known value?

Slinger
04-02-2015, 04:12 PM
I did an extended casting session and the PID finally settled down and now is within 2 degrees or so. Good enough for me. Is it necessary to plug in values on the alarms? My TA4 only has 1 alarm but shows two AL1 & AL2 in the menu. Not sure what to do with them.

Yodogsandman
04-02-2015, 04:56 PM
If it's a one alarm PID, the AL2 will not work. You can set it but, it won't work. The manufacturer uses the same menu software for either one alarm or two alarm models.

Cmm_3940
04-02-2015, 05:52 PM
What's your altitude? You may need to adjust the BP of water it that's your reference.

Slinger
04-02-2015, 06:19 PM
What's your altitude? You may need to adjust the BP of water it that's your reference.

I already did that, but thanks for mentioning it!

Slinger
04-02-2015, 06:21 PM
If it's a one alarm PID, the AL2 will not work. You can set it but, it won't work. The manufacturer uses the same menu software for either one alarm or two alarm models.

Thanks for the info. Starting to get things sorted out here.

Yodogsandman
04-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Just passing along info given to me by much more talented members here. I had a lot of the same questions and had a lot of help. I think EL34 personally helped me by PM's for a month.