PDA

View Full Version : blurry simmons scope

jthomastreadwell
03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
i was out shooting my 12" .44 encore today .the 300gr LEE rf w/ gc going about1350 fps . the scope is a Simmons 4x32 prohunter with weaver base and 4 warn rings..i shot a few rounds then noticed the target turned blurry. brought the scope closer to my eye and it was clear again.then next round it cleared up .unloaed it to check for loose screws and scope movement.all good. then i tapped it on the side. blurry again tap.clear again.it does not seem to efect accuracy. ive put about 1000 rounds under this scope. so i guess the heavy recoil took its toll. but i have a scope just like it on my .458 wm. ive shot hundreds of heavy rounds through it .no problem. thats why i chose another simmons for the .44mag. i probably just a 1 in a 1000 thats bad. anybody else have that problem with a Simmons? thanks

felix
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Odds are good that the glue used on the cheap scopes is not the best. The glue holding one of the lenses cracked and allows the lens to move. Results on target vary according to which lens is loose. Quality scopes use a "rubber" type glue. ... felix

Scrounger
03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
The one that freaked out was on a handgun, the other on a rifle, right? I think maybe a handgun causes more stress on a scope than a rifle does. One is on a 4(?) pound gun, the other a 10 pounder. The one on the rifle moves very little, at a low velocity, and pretty much in a straight line. The pistol package moves faster, farther, and in an arc that can approach 90 degrees. No knowledge, just my feelings on the subject. Maybe the pistol scopes are built differently, like air rifle scopes.

454PB
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I ruined two cheap scopes in 20 shots with my .454 SRH.

Pepe Ray
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I,ve had excellent results in Simmonds warrantee returns. The biggest problem was finding there snail mail addy to send the scope to.
Pepe Ray

DLCTEX
03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I had one on a 22 rimfire get loose inside, impact varied from 2-8 in. every few shots. Simmons wanted $ 20 to repair it according to their website , this was over a year ago and it's still in a drawer in the shop. DALE

44man
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Glue made in China seems to be rice paste. I shredded a new Swift before even getting sighted. I have pulled the front glass from red dots. I have ruined the soft tubes on Burris scopes.
I have had no problems with Leupold or Tasco pistol scopes or the Ultra Dot's.

Blammer
03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
send it back to simmons, I've had good service on getting them fixed.