PDA

View Full Version : Good day yesterday

44man
03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Friend Pete came to cast .44's with my mold and when done we went to shoot. He did good and then he took his first shot with my BFR in .500 JRH. I had a small water bottle at 50 and he exploded it, turned and said the gun is not as bad as he thought.
I thought I had more loads but only had my deer boolits with half the nose soft.
I set a gallon jug at 100 for him and he aimed too high and shot over, told him it only drops the 440 gr a few inches, aim here. He blew it sky high, amazing how much energy the thing has. Must have been a 30' spray!
He set a clay for me at 100 and I got it first shot. I just made a figure eight with the dot and clay.
Great to get out and shoot some, I have not shot much since deer season. Just playing with the 30-30 Marlin and powders. Been either too cold or muddy.

Tatume
04-01-2015, 06:42 AM
It's nice to wring out your guns after a cold winter. Sounds like you guys had fun.

44man
04-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Might get down with the 30-30 today, still working on a load even though I don't hunt with rifles. The revolvers never need anything done, they always shoot the same so little needs to be shot.
I was worried because my right palm and base of thumb has been bothering me since I dug up my water line, had air in the water. I found and fixed the leak.
The gun did not bother me though so all is good. The JRH is easier to shoot then the .475. More push. Pete is surprised with the accuracy of such a big PB and is in line for first dibs on my safe when I croak! :bigsmyl2: I am going to make him wait though.

lar45
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
One of the Neighbors has a 12yo boy that loves to shoot. He came by the house a few months back and asked "Mr. Glenn, can I do some work for you and you teach me how to shoot?". I put him to work getting nails out of some salvaged 2x4s, then we used them to brace the legs on the shooting bench.
I started him out on 22s and we worked out way through sitting, kneeling, prone and standing...
A couple weeks back(with parental permission of course) I started him on casting some Ranch Dog pb165s.
This past weekend we loaded up some plinking rounds for the 30-30(8gns RedDot). He really got a kick out of shooting the rounds that he cast and loaded.
We added up the cost and came up with 7cents per round vs 22lr at 8cents.
Now I've got to come up with some extra jobs for him to earn more shootin time.

Dale53
04-01-2015, 09:41 AM
lar45;
You are doing GOOD work with the young man! He'll remember that kindness for the rest of his life!

Dale53

44man
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Yes, it is why I love you guys. Thank you Glenn.