PDA

View Full Version : Rem Model 514

Hanshi
03-30-2015, 03:49 PM
The very first rifle I ever bought with my own money was a Remington M514, single shot .22. I bought it brand new some 55 years ago and still have it. It accounted for so many squirrels, possums, etc, I'd never be able to count them. It was not a target rifle but was very accurate. The trigger was the bolt release so a nice trigger pull was out of the question. It was easy to clean and care for though it does show a bit of wear. Mine still has a shiny bore. I made the mistake (never again but I was a kid back then) of letting a "friend" take it into the woods with a couple of his friends. It bears a couple of noticeable dings from that mistake. A few years back I saw three of them my regular gun store. They were in "unfortunate" condition and had obviously not been taken care of as had mine. The price on them was $140 or $150, can't recall which. I paid $21 including tax for my brand new one those many years ago. I have no intention whatsoever of letting mine go; we're partners to the end.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have owned/shot/sold/shouldered/etc, this great beginners rifle. It is a man size rifle, not a youth's toy. Just curious, but anyone know the value of used ones nowadays?

Larry in MT
03-31-2015, 01:40 AM
I have a 514 that I bought quite used in about 1991 for $35. It had some light rust spots but a good bore and wood. Like yours, it's quite accurate. Right after I got it, the bolt came off. I had it soldered back on. Never another problem. Good old shooter. Killed a lot of Ground Squirrels with it. There are often 514 discussions going on @ Rimfire Central.

I would think that $150 should buy a nice one. Rem re-used the 514 number for a new offering, so be aware of that.

rondog
03-31-2015, 02:12 AM
My 514 was my first real gun. Manufactured in 1952, it belonged to my oldest brother. He gifted it to me for Xmas when I was approx. 10, I'm guessing 1966 or so. I still have it, and it's still one of my favorites and best shooters. Last year I stripped and refinished the stock, and it looks 1000% better! Now I need to have all the metal reblued, but that's a pricey project that has to wait. Love that rifle though.

largom
03-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Rem. 514 was my first gun, Christmas present in 1953 when 10 yrs. old. Put lots of ground-hogs on the supper table with that gun.

Larry

Shooter6br
03-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Get mine with "Green Stamps" . Got it at age 12 I have it and i am 59.......Not bad for a "Green Stamp" gun. Oh yes no FFL shipped via UPS. Differant era ! 135575

Hanshi
03-31-2015, 05:09 PM
It's great to hear from others who grew up with and treasured that model. Mine still looks okay but been thinking that a stock refinish and a new barrel finish blue/brown/black/etc, would make it look really good.

skeettx
03-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Great guns, I just cleaned one that is being used at our local Boy Scout Camp
Mike

Pigboat
03-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Rem. 514 was my first gun, Christmas present in 1953 when 10 yrs. old. Put lots of ground-hogs on the supper table with that gun.

Larry

Well old timer, we got the same thing for Christmas in 1953 but I was only 9 yrs. old. (It's always nice to find someone older than me :-D )

Multigunner
03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Got mine used for 12 bucks around 1962 or 63.
Mine wasn't very accurate, it was the rifle not me since I had no problem with other .22 rifles at the time.
The barrel threads weren't a tight fit, which was likely the cause of poor accuracy.

I always liked the simplicity of the design.

bob208
04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
got mine for Christmas in 62. it has accounted for groundhogs crows and other vermin, also many tincans and bottles. got my marksmanship merit badge with it. they also made a 514p which had a peep sight. there was one with a smooth bore for shot. I used one at scout camp to shoot skeet. the 514 was also used for the arcade games where you shoot at the animals with a beam of light.

Hanshi
04-03-2015, 03:06 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned but I really do miss those Remington "torpedo" bolt receivers.

rondog
04-03-2015, 05:06 PM
It's great to hear from others who grew up with and treasured that model. Mine still looks okay but been thinking that a stock refinish and a new barrel finish blue/brown/black/etc, would make it look really good.

I refinished mine, and was pleased to find a nice piece of wood under that 60+ year old brown paint/stain/whatever-it-was. I used Fairtrimmers Military oX and Pure Tung Oil on it, much better now!

I will get around to having all the metal reblued, I swear! Just can't afford to right now.

W.R.Buchanan
04-05-2015, 05:28 PM
I got mine in 1962 for my 13th Bday. It cost $15. My Mother bought me a sling to go with it for Christmas a month later, and by the time the gunsmith got done it was $20 so I had a $20 sling on a $15 rifle.

I traded the gun to a sporting goods store in town for a Mauser .22 which was $50. I got $15 in trade in value.

I bought the gun back at a local gun show 10 years later and you ask "how did I know it was my gun?" It still had a $20 sling on it!

It is the only Rem 514 with a $20 sling. I bought it back for $15!

It is currently in a gun safe in my garage. It still has the $20 sling.

Randy

daniel lawecki
04-05-2015, 07:18 PM
I have one the letters on the barrel put at around 1946. My Grandson shoots it now and then.