PDA

View Full Version : CMP Clinic and Match

W.R.Buchanan
03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
I shot the CMP Clinic yesterday with my M1 Garand at our gun club in Ojai CA.

There was about 2 hours of instruction and since most of us had been before they went a little deeper into position shooting, sling use, and running the gun.

I learned a bunch !!!

First, I learned that the DCM,,, Director of Civilian Marksmanship, was created by Teddy Roosevelt simply because he saw how bad his rough riders sucked on San Juan Hill as marksmen. Also to improve the civilian population's marksmanship in case they were called on to defend the homeland. I knew some of this but not all.

I also wore a hole in my Right Elbow and learned why they all wear Shooting Coats. It turns out that the shooting mats wear the skin off your elbows pretty quickly, Gotta get a Shooting Coat pretty soon.

We shot an abbreviated version of the Nation Match Course at 200 yards with only 35 rounds. 5 sighters, 10 slow fire prone, 10 rapid fire prone and 10 Offhand.

I shot 80/100 slow fire 77/100 rapid, and 55/100 standing, and we shot the standing position last so that score was going to suck no matter what.

I learned how to single load a Garand without using a SLED, and doing so is much easier than using the SLED.

Learned a bunch about prone and sitting positions that I didn't know and have to practice to get right.

This was a good thing and I urge all of you that have any kind of service rifle from a Springfield to an AR to attend one of these clinics. They are very eager to have new people come to these events and are not picky at all about the guns you bring. They even told me I can shoot my Springfield M2 .22LR. Apparently they do shoot .22's at 200 yards as well.

You don't have to have a Garand and you don't even have to have a US made Service rifle. Any Service Rifle will do. And I plan on shooting my Enfield at an upcoming event as well as the M2 and a Springfield Sporter I am building as well as a Swedish Mauser I have been working on.

Virtually every real gun club out there that has enough facility, has this event . My gun club runs it everytime there is 5 Sundays in a month or about every 3 months. We also have people invited in from all over our state to shoot,,, and the "Gunny" (R. Lee Ermey) actually showed up once.

I missed that one,,, ******!

You also get one of these neato Certificates and it allows you to buy a Service Rifle from the CMP.

Anyway I think you all should go to one soon,,, It was a good time, and I came away a better Rifleman.

You will too!

Randy

Baron von Trollwhack
03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
GOOD FOR YOU !

BvT

Brett Ross
03-30-2015, 05:03 PM
I have been considering shooting CMP but cannot shoot and unaltered rifle stock due lack of rotation in my right wrist. I have sent a email to the CMP rules peeps as they do give wavers for some devices for disabilities (will have to see if pistol grips fit in this category).
Tony

borg
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Use an AR.
It doesn't matter what kind of rifle, they just want participation

I have been considering shooting CMP but cannot shoot and unaltered rifle stock due lack of rotation in my right wrist. I have sent a email to the CMP rules peeps as they do give wavers for some devices for disabilities (will have to see if pistol grips fit in this category).
Tony

borg
03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Take an AR, it doesn't matter what rifle you shoot, just go.

Tony

LynC2
03-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Take an AR, it doesn't matter what rifle you shoot, just go.

Exactly! Most match directors will give a lot of lee-way to new shooters to get them started. I know when I ran matches I allowed about anything that was safe. Of course if the rifle didn't meet the rules, the shooter wasn't in the running for awards. :D

rmelchiori
03-30-2015, 11:22 PM
I've shot the CMP at my club, Aurora Sportsmans Club in Waterman IL 3 times now. It's a blast. And you can actually learn how to shot better, if you listen.

captaint
03-31-2015, 08:55 AM
It's amazing what we learn our first FEW times out. I shot my first ones with my new AR. Couldn't believe some of the guys could keep all 10 rounds offhand in the black. Back then, I was doing good to hit the paper. The rapid fire sitting is my fav. It's just lots of fun. Keep it up, you'll get much better. Mike

avogunner
03-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Yes, yes, yes.....get a rifle and shoot! Our club would hold informal Garand matches and any milsurp was good to go. So in addition to 1903 Springfields, Garands, AR's, we would see SMLE's, Arisaka's, K98's, K-31's, Mosins, etc. Great fun!

W.R.Buchanan
03-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Yes,,, My whole purpose in posting this was to encourage as many people here as possible to participate and take their relatives too. Taking a youngster to one of these will give them a head start on the shooting sports.

WE as older folk have to dispel this notion amongst the younger generation that shooting is some how "Not Cool." and to be avoided.

They get a lot of this from Peer Pressure, but that Peer Pressure is generated by the Liberal ******* that run our schools.

This whole Liberals in the schools thing was started after WWII and has gotten to the point where our schools are producing idiots instead of smart people.

I trip to the local video store to rent a copy of "Idiocracy" will give you an idea of what they are going for.

Anyway one way to turn this around is to get young people shooting, and one way to do that is to participate yourself.

Anyway spread this around as much as possible.

America is only free because we have guns!

Randy

Harry O
04-01-2015, 08:24 AM
I am glad you did it. I did my first one between 10 and 15 years ago. Bought three M1 Garands and one M1 Carbine through the years. I have recommended it to a lot of people, but only one has taken me up on it. The costs have gone up considerably through the years, but it is still a good deal.

Brett Ross
04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I sent a e-mail to CMP about a waiver, a couple days ago, but have not heard anything yet. I will give the a few more days than invest a phone call.

Alstep
04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
For those of you who live in the North Carolina area, the CMP Eastern games at Camp Butner , NC will start May 1st. It starts off with the Small Arms Firing School to introduce new shooters to the High Power game. AR rifles and ammo are issued on the firing line. Safety and basic marksmanship skills are taught. Great way to get started. The matches go on for a whole week. I think they may have some rifles for sale to participants. Check out their website and sign up.