PDA

View Full Version : Harrington and Richardson 38 S&W

StrawHat
03-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Over the weekend I was given a bag of parts. Turns out, there was an H&R topbreak of some flavor in there, just in pieces. I am slowly putting it together. Lot's of fun as I am not familiar with the H&R design.

Once it is together, I will scour the forum for load data but I believe this is going to be strictly a black powder revolver. At this point, I am not even sure of the bore diameter or what size boolit mold to look to acquire.

Kevin

Bigslug
03-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Easy. NOE recently did a run of .363" 150 grain round noses for the less burly (non-Webley/Victory) revolvers. Sized to .361"-.362 will give you what was standard fare for the old TB compacts. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=38

dubber123
03-31-2015, 06:42 PM
I have (gasp) extensively fired a "BP" H&R top break with smokeless powder. I am of the camp that believes pressure is pressure. Keep it in the range it was intended for, and all will be well, Just my opinion. Based on the few I have worked with, I would expect it to prefer a larger boolit, in the .363"+ range, it's worth measuring though. The trigger will likely be atrocious, but thats kind of the fun with shooting them, a hit means more.. :)

StrawHat
04-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Thank you both for the information. My brother has volunteered to put to thing back together. He has a better chance of completing the task before the end of the decade than I do! Most likely we will shoot it a bit and then pass it down the road. I like my bigger bore better than the little ones.

Kevin

bedbugbilly
04-01-2015, 01:17 PM
StrawHat - I don't know what size you'll be needing but I recently picked up an old Ideal 360-72 RN mold that's supposed to drop a 115gr boolit. I'm haven't cast any out of it yet - probably will in the next month or so - so I don't know what diameter they'll drop at. Keep me in mind when you get your project put together. I'd be happy to cast some up and send them to you if you'd like to try them. Don't want to part with the mold but it might be something you could try and then see what you could find mold wise if they worked.

Good luck with your project! Sounds like fun!

dubber123
04-01-2015, 05:10 PM
I'd be happy to send some along too if you would like. I believe you have helped me in the past. I have a group buy mold made to duplicate the original 150 RN. I think it casts right around .364". Sized down, it still shot in 2" or less at 25 yds. from a couple .38 Spls. I have, so it is a decent design.