PDA

View Full Version : Wanting another SA revolver but...

CHeatermk3
03-29-2015, 10:44 PM
I've owned several Ruger super BH revolvers but only 44 mags. First was a 7-1/2" blued which was traded off for a 10-1/2 inch which was great to shoot but a pain to carry; went to a 5" plain barrel Redhawk that I never killed anything with besides the vein over the 3rd joint of my middle finger. My most recent was a SS SBH 4.6" that I gave to my adopted third son after I got sick of his lustful staring at it.

So now I'd like to have another but the dilemma is, should I stay with the 44mag (I have a S&W 629-2 round butt)? I think I'd like to branch out to the 45LC, but don't know whether to go for a convertable (already load/shoot 45acp in a series 70 colt) or not. Also, I really liked the 4-5/8 SS I gave away but I think that 5-1/2" bbl would be the best of both worlds. I see Buds has several Ruger SA revolvers in stock--don't know how long I can wait to "pull the trigger"...

Is the Blackhawk a weaker pistol than the SBH or is the aluminum grip frame the only difference?
Don't know/can't remember whether I liked the Bisley model or not--need to see if I can find one to test the heft..

I'll be shooting it just for the fun of it I do all my hunting with a rifle anymore--after feasting on my garden all summer those fat bucks taste sweet.

So--I need help deciding which way to go and will be looking foreward to any responses; Blackhawk, SBH, Bisley BH; 44 mag, spl, 45LC...

dubber123
03-29-2015, 10:51 PM
The last BH I fiddled with, a 7-1/2" .45 Colt, hit 1,300+ fps. with 310 gr. boolits with ease. It is easily as powerful as the .44 mag version. I prefer the Bisley grip as I can't get all my fingers on the short, standard BH grip. The 44's seem to have a better rep for being easier to get to shoot well than the .45 Colt versions.

DougGuy
03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
BH and SBH are the same strength wise, as is the original large framed Vaquero made from 1993 - 2005. All these can take the Ruger Only loads in .45 Colt up to 30,000psi. They all are great with heavy for caliber boolits.

An interesting fun gun is the New Model Vaquero or the New Model Flattop, both built on the medium frame, and capable of tier 2 pressures, 23,000psi, or .45 ACP+P pressures. These are some of the finest fitted current Rugers, the ones I have had come through my shop for cylinder throat reaming and forcing cone work have had ZERO thread choke and I was real impressed with them overall.

For someone who has been there and done that with the heavy recoiling sixguns, I would say give one of these a try! With the .45 Colt medium frame gun, you can still get a 255gr ~ 270gr boolit to 1150f/s which will take any fattened buck in the lower 48!

The New Model Flattop in .44 Special is a real sweet spot in the hand as well. Same pressure capabilities as the medium frame .45 Colt, and maybe safe to 25,000psi due to slightly thicker cylinder walls, this would be a sweet shooter with factory loads and also capable of loading plenty hot enough for deer and black bear.

About the only thing the .45s need is the cylinder throats reamed so it will shoot .452" without sizing the boolit down, and swapping in a Wolff 30oz trigger return spring. Recutting the forcing cone to 11° is optional but does seem to help. These 3 things are about the best bang for the buck for accurizing these medium frame Rugers, they don't need anything more than that to be excellent shooters.

JSH
03-29-2015, 11:43 PM
.41 mag.
If I had bought one of these thirty years ago I would never even looked at a .44. Started playing with one two years ago. Bought another last year. Soooo easy to work with IMHO. Not really a problem, but factory offerings as far as molds go run a bit lite. Just go with a custom and be done with it.
Jeff

coat
03-30-2015, 05:28 PM
I have 44s 41s. A few years i have pick up 3 44 Spec. Two bis one BH. Thats about all shoot nowdays try it you will like it

LUCKYDAWG13
03-30-2015, 06:34 PM
my 4 5/8 BH in 41 mag is a joy to shoot and carry in the woods but i love my SBH 7 1/2 barrel 44 mag too

CHeatermk3
03-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I need to find a shop with some in stock so I can see how they feel in my hand...

oldfart1956
03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I need to find a shop with some in stock so I can see how they feel in my hand... When you're trying on a few of them handguns snatch up a box of .45 colts and drop a half-dozen in your palm and roll them around. ;) Yeah...size does matter...ehh? When reloading for the Rugers the .44 mag. and .45 colt are on level ground so don't be afraid to get the one that makes ya smile. I think the convertible would be the cats p.j.'s as well. I have both, .44 and .45 colt in Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk....I know that .44 is around here somewhere. Haven't seen it in over a year. Audie...the Oldfart..

ejcrist
03-30-2015, 09:36 PM
If I were in your shoes and had to decide on one of the ones you listed out of "Blackhawk, SBH, Bisley BH; 44 mag, spl, 45LC" I believe I'd go with the Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I find it to be the most versatile of the bunch. In my opinion it doesn't matter too much if it's a Bisley or not but I am able to get a more consistent grip with the Bisley for some reason and it shows in my groups. Once I got the 45 Colt I'd immediately have to start saving my pennies for the Blackhawk 44 Special. Then the SBH, etc., etc. I know I'm not being much help here but in all honesty I'd want all of the above. I really appreciate SA revolvers.

contender1
03-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Lots of good info above.
But your response was best. Go to a shop & feel them yourself. You will decide what to buy.
Personally, I own over a dozen Ruger SA's in 45, and over a dozen in 44 mag. I like them all. YOU will be the one to make the final choice.

CHeatermk3
03-30-2015, 11:41 PM
I have all the tooling and lotsa brass for 44mag--also a round butt 2" 629 a Marlin m94 and a H&R handirifle all are 44s. just no SA but
the 45 colt just calls me--if I find a 5-1/2" BH in 45LC I'll most likely go that route...also have LOTS of 45acp stuff from my IPSC days-but if I had a convertable I might lose one of the cyls...(I may already have lost my mind...).

Zim
03-31-2015, 07:04 AM
If it will make you feel better, I've traded into 45 Colt dies and a mold over the last year. Brass on the shelf and still no pistol. Every time I've found one, I've been short or had just brought another one home. Same case with the 41. Reloading stuff available, but no launcher.

The Bisley frame does feel better. The normal blackhawk handle and I don't get along. Will try the Bisley, one day.

44man
03-31-2015, 09:13 AM
I never wanted a .41 because of a poor lack of molds, etc. Not any better then the .44 anyway. never liked the aluminum grip frames either. It is a good hunting gun though, just never needed it.
I am one that does not like a Bisley due to my hands and never got one to shoot good. Beats my large knuckle because I can't get away from the TG. I love the hog leg best. Don't go by the way they feel in the store but how you can shoot the grips. I had a Bisley Hunter for two weeks and am glad it is gone.

bluelund79
03-31-2015, 03:02 PM
I love my SBH in 44mag. Its the one handgun that I hunt with. Wanting a new range gun in 45LC, I found a Uberti Cattleman convertible. While its not as strong as the Ruger's, having the 45acp cylinder with it makes a real fun (and accurate) range gun. rI've got a sneaking suspicion that DougGuy is going to get some business from me in the near future

DougGuy
03-31-2015, 11:33 PM
Of all the Ruger grip frames, the distance between the back of the trigger guard and the front side of the backstrap, the Bisley is the closest. The old XR3 is next, the SBH and SBH Hunter are the farthest away, they have the most knuckle room.

For that reason I was leery of owning a Bisley. The other Rugers beat that middle finger knuckle pretty dang hard, so I don't need to be "parking" my hands any closer to the trigger guard.

I wanted another Ruger for midrange loads, a medium frame this time around, but ended up with a Uberti "Old West" model for a good deal so my Flattop .45 Schofield conversion is just going to have to wait..

blue send 'em on buddy you know how to reach me!

TXGunNut
04-01-2015, 12:06 AM
I like hunting with my 4 5/8 RBH in 45 Colt but my fun revolvers are a 4.5" 3rd gen Colt, a Cimarron 4.5" Cattleman w/ BP frame and a Uberti Birds' Head, all in 45 Colt. They all shoot exclusively BP and are a hoot to shoot, think that Colt may even go hunting this year.

CHeatermk3
04-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Dougguy,
Thanks for the report on the "knuckle room"! I had purchased a %" plain-bbl Redhawk to hunt pigs with--it moved the vein in my middle finger over to the side.

Maybe I need to stick with the SBH--I've had several and really like how the grip slides in the hand under recoil.

Going out to search gunshops over the next few days.

Silver Jack Hammer
04-02-2015, 10:19 AM
The comments about the aluminum grip frame on the Blackhawk reminds me of the new Blackhawk in .44 Special which Ruger made with a steel grip frame because that's what we told Ruger we wanted. We used to criticize the aluminum Ruger grip frame. In Ruger giving us what we wanted we now have a 42 ounce .44 Special. A 42 ounce .44 mag 4 inch is about right but if we are going to pack a 42 ounce pistol why not get a Model 29 or a Mountain Lite? I prefer the single action and I like the new Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special but since it has come out I appreciate my .45 Colt Blackhawk with a 4 3/4" barrel and aluminum grip frame even more since it weighs in at about 36 oz.

My first Ruger was a SBH too it was a new model. Just like you CHeatermk3 and I traded it away. Today I have a great Ruger SBH, it's a 3 screw with a grip frame fitted off an Old Army. I traded out the wide hammer for a standard hammer. I shoot RCBS 44-25-K with 10 gr of Unique, DougGuy had to ream the cylinder for me so it would accept the boolit crimped at the crimping groove. I could not be happier. I'd like to have the cylinder fluted but thats $300.00 and I'm not that interested, it shoots great just as it is. A custom grip maker made stocks out of purpleheart wood and put Ruger medallions on it. I hope you find your perfect Ruger like I found with mine. I've also got a brace of 3 screw 4 3/4" Blackhawk .357's which my son shoots.