PDA

View Full Version : make a 6 banger sprue lever?

fps_bill
03-29-2015, 10:33 PM
I broke the sprue lever on one of my 6 cavity molds a while ago and forgot about it for a while. I found it today, blew the dust off of it and got looking at it. I'm pretty sure I can whittle one out of a piece of 1/4" steel with a belt grinder and some files. Anyone ever done it before? Any tips?

Dusty Bannister
03-29-2015, 10:43 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?97479-KAL-quot-Steel-quot-Cam-Lever-for-Lee-Moulds

Just an option. Sometimes ya just gotta give it a try though.

Boogieman
03-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I made one with just files & a drill not that hard It works fine . I called Lee , they sent me a new one but I'll keep mine for a back up.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-30-2015, 10:01 PM
There is an article by E.H. Harrison in the NRA Reloading handbook (viewable on Cast Pics) titled "Aluminum SpruePlate Rated high". It is a tutorial on how to make an aluminum sprueplate and the pros and cons of its advantages. I have made several and fond them to be satisfactory....cheap and easy to do with a minimum of tools. The use of anodized aluminum which is harder appears to b preferable, but I used ordinary 1/4 and 3/8" stock and it worked very well. Its certainly worth a try. LLS

captaint
03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Maybe it's a question of how often you use that particular mold. I have done some business with RR Rick and he does do nice work. Quality.

HeavyMetal
03-31-2015, 10:26 AM
If your wanting to use this mold a lot get ahold of Red River Rick at his KAL tool place and buy his replacement lever you might even check into his steel sprue plate while your at it!

I have a bunch of his gear and it is top notch stuff.

cwheel
03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
When I made mine I had some 3/16 X 1 1/2" 01 tool steel laying around. Quick and easy to make ( I cheated and used a mill with a DRO ) and I'm sure the top plate will outlast the mold. I'm sure you could make this with a drill and a hacksaw, a few files. But if you are putting that much labor in making it with hand tools, might be good to start with a good piece of steel.
Chris

thebigmac
03-31-2015, 11:34 AM
I'll second the above mention of KAL. I have dealt with him also and can truthfully say, "He's one fine person & backs up what he does." $18.50 will be well worth your investment.

thebigmac

Boogieman
03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
I'm sure RR Rick is a good guy but if someones on limited funds & can make one ,the $18.50 could be better spent on more powder, primers, or another mould. Any scrap steel will work the pivot bolt will break before a cutoff lever, made out of cold rolled steel. maybe Lee put on their powdered metal one as a saftey link

fps_bill
03-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Started lastnight, started by drinking the hole, used a transfer punch to keep the holes lined up while I traced what was left of the original lever. I then began removing metal which was a super slow process seeing as the belt sander disc grinder in maintenance is designed for wood and doesn't have the SFM to do much on metal. I have up for the night and thought sbout how I should just buy the steel lever but decided that since I started it I might as well finish it. Ground on it more today with a 2" air grinder after my shift today and got it pretty well roughed out.