PDA

View Full Version : Cornucopia

sundog
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Y'all ever think about how much stuff it takes to be successful at this? Each of us, of course, defines success in our own way. Just to get out and shoot?

I did very well at the mil bolt yesterday, and it got me to thinking, how did that happen?

Not to mention all the people and time involved, but thinking mainly of 'stuff'. We support A LOT of people by accumulating 'stuff'.

Just to support yesterday's outing:

60+ yr old CMP 03A3
rods, brushes, jags, patches from from all over
Hoppe's and Ed's Red (4 ingredients in that one)
Lyman boolit mould
Alloy (wheel weights, range scrap, shot, tin, solder, etc)
Lee Magnum Melter
Lyman Ladle
Gator checks
FWFL (5 or 6 ingredients in that)
RCBS loob-sizer
RCBS sizer die
Lyman top punch
Frankfort Armory Boolit boxes
LCNM brass (from CMP)
CCI BR2 primers
IMR 4227 powder (from Powder Valley)
Hornady trimmer
RCBS chamfer tool
Lyman pocket uniformer
Forster outside neck turner
RCBS Rock Chucker
Lee dies
RCBS scale (powder)
Dillon electronic scale (weigh boolits)
Hornady tumbler
Midway polish
Walnut media from the pet shop (cage litter)
Western Pack range bag x 2
Swingline stapler and staples
Busnell spotting scope
Midway rest
Protektor bags
West Bend timer (kitchen type)
Midway calipers (on the bench and for measuring groups sizes at the match)
Safety glasses (actually high dollar prescription poly carbs)
Hearing muffs (don't remember mfg)
Targets from Amercian Target Co.
...and that's not all of it

A lot of this stuff is used commonly to support other venues. The point is, look at who we support. This list is relatively short as it's an easy activity to prep for and participate in.

There a lot of things not on the list like tools, and cleaning supplies and such that are durable of expendable, but needed all the same.

Y'all got any idea how much we dump into the economy? And it's not just us. Think about it. High power, skeet, small bore, CAS, IDPA, and the list goes on and on. And the stuff does not come all from one manufacturer or vendor, nor are all of the vendors primarily shooting sports (remember the walnut media?). And don't forget Pittman-Robinson tax tagged onto all your shooting stuff. And for each venue, the list changes and often has some rather distinct and sometimes rather costly items.

What would happen if all the guns went away in terms of the economy?

felix
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Yep, it does border on insanity. ... felix

dromia
03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Politicians don't give a damn about the economy if they think there's another vote bandwagon to jump on.

When they banned legal pistols, illegal ones were already banned, in 1997 about 75% of the UK gun trade went to the wall. Pistol shooters were almost hand loaders to a man. You couldn't practice enough for Police Pistol, Practical, Bianchi, Speed plate et al if you didn't reload.

All that component sales is what kept many a guns hop in profit. Then there was the knock on to rifle shooters, hunters and shot gunners. It had to be worth millions per annum.

The true cost of compensation has never been revealed despite questions in parliament and they never blinked over the economic impact.

Today politicians in the UK don't make decisions in the best interest of the country only in their best interest to cling onto office.

runfiverun
03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
yep,
ihave stood there looking at a rifle and thought thats a fair price.
then thought hmmmmm... new brass,dies a mould sizer,m-die,time,da-da-x.
and went i don't think i can afford this.

kodiak1
03-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Still better than owning one set of golf clubs a six pack a balls and a handfull of tees.
The shoes and that for golfing don't count cause we don't go out nude to shoot either.
One set of clubs to Fifty firearms, Maybe it is expensive but what afun hobby.
Oh ya and I don't have to holler fore everytime I shoot!!!!!!!!!!
Ken.

sundog
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Okay, let me add a few more thing that were not on my original list, because they are not used in that venue:

Leather, fabric, and synthetic goods, such as holsters, slings, clothing, etc.
Jacketed bullets (wonder how many get shot in this country each year)
OPTICS - boy there's one that can be high dollar
Precision iron sights
Shotgun targets (another really big business)

and we're still not yet into the specialty stuff, like single shot actions, custom barrels, or inlaid stocks!

"Guns are SO scary, we have to make them ALL go away."

I wonder what the SHOT Show pumps into the local economy each year where it's held. I think I would rather not lose that business.

And how will the goobermint replace the dollars lost when Pittman-Robinson no longer produces funds?

HeavyMetal
03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Gentleman:
I think your missing the obvious point! We are thinking whats good for everybody, thats logic.

The logic of the polictical: is whats good for me!

I don't belive I've ever met a politician I liked. I firmly belive, at least here in Calif, that a proposition banning lawyers from running for public office would be in the best interest of the general public!

I'm not saying they can't go to law school I'm saying once they pass the bar they can't hold public office. It's a conflict of interest!

Any ideas?

Pepe Ray
03-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah!! What he said!

Hey Sundog; I see that you have both a Forster and a Hornady trimmer. Please tell me, are the pilots shaft sizes mutually compatible?
Why do I ask? you say?
Well, virtually NO ONE carries all brands in inventory. So when shopping for one item, if your intended brand is not available sometimes a substitute is.
TIA, Pepe Ray

sundog
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Pepe Ray, I'll have to look and get back to you, as yes, I have both Hornady and Forster trimmers. Actually what was on the list for Forster was the hand outside neck turner, a different tool. I just got done casting (really nice day here - hard to image yesterday was very wintery), but when I get my stuff put away, I'll take a look-see...

Pepe Ray
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Sundog;
The-MY Forster outside neck turner is an attachment used in conjunction with the trimmer so I assumed yours was also.
Isn't it amusing how different guys loading habits are? If for some strange reason I had two different brand trimmers, their pilots would have to be interchangeable because I couldn't keep them separated. Or wouldn't. So one would have to go to the swap meet.
Any way, I've determined that Lymans are too small. RCBS is too large, Reddings are just right. So I keep my eyes peeled for a used Redding at the gunshows. The Hornadys are a newcomer to the field.
BTW, thanks for checking.
Pepe Ray

sundog
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Pepe Ray, I lived in Belgrade Lakes for a while when I was a kid. Ever been there? Used to buy 22 RF at Day's Store by the sluseway. On Sunday part of the store was cordoned off due to Blue Laws. And, Harris' Better Baked Donuts!!! Rat shoots at the dump on Sunday. Ice fishing. We lived on Great Pond. I'd save my allowance and scrounge deposit bottles for enough to buy a box of Remington Klean-Bore Long Rifle Hollow Points. About 55 cents. And a Birch Beer. About 10 or 15 cents. Sometimes came up a bit short and had to get a box of shorts instead of LRs. Mrs. Day and I would count the change out on the counter at the cash register. Kid buying ammo..., wouldn't happen nowadays...

Anyway, I measured the shafts on the Forster and Hornady pilots that I have for the trimmers. Both are 0.185.

Pepe Ray
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks Sundog;
Memories, memories. They're our truest treasures, and safest. Darn few youngsters want them, even when we're willing to share.
Belgrade is a beautiful part of the state, but we have so many.
I remember .22shorts. Today, when you can find 'em, they're twice as much as LR.
Several years ago a buddy and I went to Raingely to buy a couple of Rokons.
As you probably know, the "blue laws" were repealed long ago. Well, No. Not all.
We can buy booze and raise h@#$#l on Sunday but, don't get caught in the woods with a firearm on Sun.
Well , thanks for the measurements. Hornady parts can now be added to my radar watch list.
If you decide to vacation in Maine, call me.
Pepe Ray

BeeMan
03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Sundog,

Laughing here - Felix said it best!

Glad you made a good showing. Wish I coulda seen it but I'm still consumed by that four letter word. Next month will be a year since you hooked me so I'll have to make it happen.:Fire:

BeeMan

cbrick
03-11-2008, 01:53 AM
I also use the Forster trimmer, here's a pic of mine after I made it just a bit faster & easier & do even more.

http://www.lasc.us/2006-05-25.jpg

EMC45
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Very cool breakdown Sundog! One never realizes how much or where the money is spent until you sit down and think it over. Are Forster and RCBS shanks the same?

sundog
03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
EMC45, post #9 above. Forster and Hornady. Don't know about the RCBS.

I didn't think about when I measured them, but if I remember this evening I will insert some of the different pilots into the opposite trimmers tonight just to be sure they will work. Something as simple as a shaft size doesn't necessarily mean they are interchangeable. You'd think so, huh?

Pepe Ray
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
See post #10
I have & use both Redding and Forster pilots. As Case trimming pilots go, I see no reason why the Hornady with the same shaft size will not work in a Forster trimmer. The RCBS ,as of 1983, did not fit the Forster. I have no knowledge of NEW designs introduced since then.
Pepe Ray