PDA

View Full Version : 1847 Uberti "Walker" followed me home

Knarley
03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Bought an Uberti "Walker" yesterday, holy cow is this thing massive! Can't wait to get it out and light it up. It makes my S&W Modle 29 look puny! Just hope I don't drop it on my foot:-?
Knarley

JIMinPHX
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Some guys put a ty-wrap or a rubber band around the barrel & under the loading lever before they fire those massive beasts. They have a reputation for dropping the levers when you drop the hammer on a live chamber with a full load of powder. It makes you look kind of stupid at the range if that happens. ;-)

georgeld
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Knarly:
Have you shot it yet?? What's your loading and results??

I got a cva copy of the very same gun yesterday. Spent last night and today cleaning it up, sanding the peeling grips, rust off the metal, and rebluing it. Looks good.

This one, was found buried in leave's by a friend while deer hunting last fall. See my post: "am in hog ass heaven now" for more details.

I'd like to hear your results with it, and know whether you're happy so far about getting it.
Same thing I said: "hope I don't drop it on my foot".

Wish you well, thanks.

StrawHat
03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
You both have brought home a fun gun!

I had one for years and fired it a lot. Well maybe not so much.[smilie=1:

The dropping lever is a problem with some of the replicas (the originals also had the problem). There is a fix for it involving the rammer spring but I will have to find that article to get details.

Colts remedy was the Dragoon series of Horse Pistols.

When you load it, black powder rules apply. 100% load density, no air space between bullet and powder. I had a measure for mine, made from a cut off 30-06 case, and it worked fine. Powder, wad, bullet, ram, aim, FIRE!

What holster are you considering and when are you going to get your second one?

Knarley
03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
So far I've only fired one cylinder full. Cotten pickin weather! Seemed to put holes right where I pointed it. I also picked up an 1851 Navy in .44. Migt do some cowboy shootin with 'em, fact is I plan doin some. Have the Navy holstered, but haven't decided for the Walker yet, thinkin makin' one like Josey was wearin, really open, don't know yet:Fire:
Knarley

Ricochet
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
I searched eBay and found a nice open top holster for my Walker, with matching belt, quite reasonably priced. I'd thought about making one, but I'm very happy with the one I bought.

I expect the originals mostly went into paired saddle holsters.

No need to feel "stupid" if the loading lever falls when you shoot. Just smack it back up with the heel of your left hand and go on shooting. They did that in 1847, too. That's why the Dragoons had latches on the front of their levers.

Knarley
03-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Was plannin on puttin' a buckskin sleeve over the works, or just loadin a little light. I guess firewallin the gun ain't too good for 'em. Besides how hard is it to kill paper?[smilie=1:
Knarley

Ricochet
03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think you can hurt it with full loads of proper propellant. If you do download, fill the air space with filler.

Mine has a tiny little front sight that you couldn't see if you put anything over the barrel.

Knarley
03-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd read a thread on the SASS forun about it, it will mess with the wedge pin ore the hole it goes through. Makes sense, I've seen it happen on those Pedersoli doubles, I welded my pin solid, and reduced the powder charge, still kills pheasants :Fire:
Knarley