PDA

View Full Version : mold rust

milltownhunter
03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
what is the best way to store mold blocks i have been just spraying the molds inside and out with a anti rust oil is this the best way i do not get any rust . liveing in montana the air is so dry do not have much of a problem as long as they are stored in side the house

jhrosier
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I store mine in 50 cal ammo cans with a sheet of vapor barrier paper on top.
They have remained rust free for thirty-some years.
I don`t oil them.

Jack

imashooter2
03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Air tight cans with desiccant keeps the rust away and the molds ready for use.

milltownhunter
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
thanks

Shiloh
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I store mine in 50 cal ammo cans with a sheet of vapor barrier paper on top.
They have remained rust free for thirty-some years.
I don`t oil them.

Jack

This sounds like an avenue to explore. I use WD-40 or Marvels Mystery Oil to coat but all this needs to be cleaned off before use. What kind if vapor sheets??

Shiloh :castmine:

sundog
03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Mail order houses, like Midway, have rust inhibitor tabs. Ever so often I will include some on an order and use them liberally where ever needed. Pretty cheap protection.

jhrosier
03-09-2008, 12:27 PM
This sounds like an avenue to explore. I use WD-40 or Marvels Mystery Oil to coat but all this needs to be cleaned off before use. What kind if vapor sheets??

Shiloh :castmine:

Shiloh,
I bought a bunch of GI storage covers for M1 carbines.
They have a couple of big sheets of vapor barrier paper inside.
I don`t know what it is but it is brown paper with some sort of chalky white coating on one side.
I had bought them to cut up for pistol storage but found that the vapor barrier material eats stock finish! OOPS! doesn`t seem to hurt the mould handles though.

I would check with an industrial supply house like MSC or McMaster-Carr.

Jack

HeavyMetal
03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree with the other tips you've recieved!

I've been using a desiccante That can be "renewed" in the microwave for years! This goes into the old 50 Cal. sealed ammo can I've used for years and once or twice a year it gets "nuked" in the microwave in an old glass bowl.

I've never had a mold rust protected in this way! I've got molds I bought in the 60's that still look like new.

I don't put oil on them and I don't store them with a bullet in them! The old wives tale that this will prohibit rust is wrong! Next time your at a gun show look at molds on sale and even the ones with bullets in them will have rust on them!

I've always believed the "leave a bullet" concept was to help keep both half's of the molds together so the would not be damaged or lost!

MT Gianni
03-09-2008, 05:05 PM
MilltownHunter, When I lived In Missoula I stored them bare with no concern about rust. It may depend on how close you are to the mill and river, there seemed to be a cloud for a lot of mornings around the old Champion yard. Our dry climate doesn't need a lot of the precautions others do. Gianni

AlaskaMike
03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd be curious to see what those folks do who live in places like the gulf coast, or other really humid areas. Up here in Anchorage it seems dry enough that the ammo can/dessicant method works well enough for me.

Mike

Dave Berryhill
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
You can get silica gel desiccant at Michaels or other craft supply stores very cheaply. They sell it to dry flowers with. A can with a couple of pounds of the stuff is only a couple of bucks. When you see how cheap it is you'll kick yourself if you've ever bought some of the pre-packaged silica gel that is sold at gun stores. You just need to find a container to put some in.

I keep a bunch of it in an open plastic bin on a shelf in my gun safe. When it needs to be dried out I pour it into a large metal baking pan and heat it in the oven.

imashooter2
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
A man with a wife has an endless supply of panty hose legs that make perfect containers for silica gel.

Ben
03-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Not certain just how much effort you're willing to go to.
This system has certainly worked well for me. I live in the deep South and the humidity here in the summer time can and does exceed 90% quite often.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322&highlight=Mold+storage

Shepherd2
03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
The humidity here in Ohio is pretty high in the summer and you have to keep an eye out for rust. For years I've been wrapping my moulds in vapor barrier paper and storing them in air tight ammo cans. All I do is wipe the mould off after I use it. I don't want to coat it with something I'll have to clean off before I can use it again.

There are other sources for the vapor barrier sheets but I get mine from Brownells. They even have it in narrow rolls that you can use to wrap long guns with.