PDA

View Full Version : Oak Ridge Mid/Long Range match.

Boz330
03-29-2015, 03:05 PM
A couple of my shooting buddies have been trying to get me to go to this match for several years. The weather can really be a **** shoot though.
I haven't shot any LRML since I had my knees replaced in 2013 because kneeling is one of the things that isn't like OEM equipment and you do a lot of that during reloading. Anyway I had a good time and did waaaaay better than I expected. Conditions at 600yd and 1000yd were challenging to say the least. Best score at 1000yd was 66 and the next best was 51. Probably half of the USLRML team was competing. So this wasn't a pushover crowd.
Anyway I managed to grab a 3rd place at 600yd and they gave metals back to 5th place in the aggregate and I got beat out for 5th by an X. Only 7 shooters out of 30 posted scores above 300 and I was one of them.
I'm not really bragging just tickled to death about having a really good 2 days. I don't normally shoot that good, just a fun shooter that tries to just beat myself each time out.
This was held at the Oak Ridge Sortsmans Asso. range. This is an outstanding complex with a great clubhouse, I wish it was closer to home.

Bob

ResearchPress
03-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Nice shooting! Rick has circulated his report and results now and I have added them to my blog.

See: LRML at Oak Ridge, March 2015 (https://researchpressuk.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/oakridge2015spring/).

David

DIRT Farmer
03-30-2015, 10:47 PM
I got Ricks report this morning. Sounds like the weather decieded to show every thing March has.
Congrats on the place at 600. I would have been glad to find paper.

Boz330
03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Friday wasn't too bad but Saturday was pretty cold, especially in the pits. The wind conditions at 1000yd were terrible. A number of the top shooters had really low scores. The guy who won it waited till really late before he even stated shooting and the winds were starting to calm down a little. I finished with 30min left. Had I waited, and I thought about it, I would have probably moved into the medals for aggregate. I only got aced out by an X.
As I said before I'm not that good normally, just had a good match. Even though I haven't shot the ML since my knee replacements I have been using the 45-70 and the ballistics are pretty much the same. I had a really good time at the match though and will go back next year.

Bob

crossxsticks
04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I like group picture of you guys with rifles, I have always wonder how its done and I have 4 questions about long distance shooting what rifle, cal, and barrel twist , brand of rear sights do most use ?

Boz330
04-02-2015, 03:30 PM
These guys were all shooting originals from the mid 1800s. Most of them were Rigbys but there were some others.
For replicas you have a choice of Gibbs from Pedersoli or Farris rifle from Lee Shaver. The original usually have the original sights or if they were lost there are a number of replacements that can be made to fit. Distant Thunder are popular. I have a repro Gibbs and shoot it with the factory sights that could be better. 45 cal is pretty standard and most folks shoot paper patched.

Bob