PDA

View Full Version : Lead rolls?

tallwalker
03-29-2015, 02:00 PM
I have run across a few hundred lbs of 4x20 lead rolls. Don't know much about what they are used for, but how close to pure lead do you think it might be? Looks like 1 square foot is one pound. Prob cost me about .50/lb

Black Powder Bill
03-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Roofing as flashing and if that is 4ft wide possibibly sound proofing and as wall liner for xay rooms. I demoed. A phone company once an they used it as a barrier. Yes it is soft stuff.

RogerDat
03-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Rolled sheet lead is generally dead soft (plain) a set of art pencils would allow you to get a pretty clear idea of the BHN hardness. See the sticky that describes which pencil corresponds to which BHN.

bangerjim
03-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Dead soft. If it is clean, don't waste fuel re-melting it into ingots. Just cut it into handy uniform size strips and weigh them. Add them to your mix as you need them. I do it with CLEAN sheet lead. My strips are of a 1/4" thick sheet in 12x2" strips.

banger-j

tallwalker
03-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks all. Think I will pick them up and give it a try. They look pretty clean so might be nice and convenient to use.

RogerDat
03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks all. Think I will pick them up and give it a try. They look pretty clean so might be nice and convenient to use.

Also very useful to trade with folks that shoot muzzle loaders. Or need to cut some linotype or monotype to soften it for use in pistol boolits. What you don't use you can probably sell or trade easily. And what banger says about cutting it to size also makes it especially easy to box for shipping.

tallwalker
03-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Just to follow up, I think I stepped in it good. Pure lead rolls, just about new and still in the paper lining! Think I am set for a while. That's alot of round balls and Sharps bullets! Thanks again for all the advice guys.