PDA

View Full Version : NEF Hand-Rifle in .30/30.....

bcp477
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I am itching to get a new rifle. I have wanted a single-shot forever - there is just something about the simplicity that attracts me. So, I have been looking and thinking about it.... and have almost decided to buy one of the Handi-Rifles. Since I am getting into cast bullet shooting, I am leaning toward a cartridge that will be economical to load and well-suited to cast bullets. The .30/30 comes to mind immediately, from the list of available chamberings. .30 calibre - so lots of good bullets available......cheaper brass than some other cartridges....a relatively light round, so it doesn't require lots of powder... etc. I know that lots of people have good success with the cartridge...and that lots of people have good success with the Handi-Rifle. I am also aware of the accuracy issues with them, especially the forearm/ barrel isolation issue.

What I am concerned about is availability. I talked with a gun dealer the other day....and after doing a computer search of his distributors...he seemed to think that the HR in .30/30 has been discontinued, or is about to be. Anyone else hear anything like this ? If I have to, I'll settle for a .308....but I think I would prefer the .30/30. He also told me that Remington has just bought NEF, H&R, Marlin, etc.....and that there would most likely be some big changes to the product line-up. Whether he has any "inside" info on this (or is just speculating), I don't know. He seemed to almost be reluctant to try and find me a .30/30, though...yet he said he can have a .308 version in my hands in two days. I wonder if there is anything to this ? I certainly hope that the .30/30 won't be discontinued. The single-shot is the only action in which I would consider this cartridge - I have never liked the lever-action guns.

Who here has a H-R....in .30/30....and how do you like it ?

lovedogs
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
One friend has one that he can't get to shoot but he's notorious for trying to force a rifle to shoot what he wants to shoot instead of what it wants to shoot so I don't buy his complaint as valid. Others I've talked to like them just fine. They are a little on the heavy side due to thick bbl. I'd gladly have one. Another advantage is that you can shoot pointy jacketed in it if you so desire. I use Nosler Ballistic Tips in my Contender with excellent results and in the longer Handi it would only get better.

OBXPilgrim
03-09-2008, 01:33 AM
I love mine.

I bought a .22 hornet a few years ago - never have gotten it to shoot 'tight', but only tried a couple loads (other things to do). I sent it in for some extra barrels, I wanted .44 mag, .30-30 Win, & .50 cal ML. After it was there for 2 months, I called their service department. They explained that they make runs of barrels & that my .44 & .30-30 were a couple months away from being "ran". I asked what 'runs' they had going on at the time - of the answers, I settled on .357 mag, 7.62x39 (already set-up to reload those too) & .50 Cal ML. Got my gun back in 2 weeks.

The .357 Mag is a must have - fun barrel. .38 wadcutters sound like they got stuck in the barrel they are so quiet. .360 Dan Wesson (longer than .357 mag, shorter than 357 MAX) chambers fine with no mods to my barrel. Throat was .357 MAX length - can long seat 200gr slugs to .357 max length in .360 DW brass & load to .357 MAX loads. Just got a 358627 (215gr swc) mold from scrounger to play with. Killed a doe with a 200gr Saeco slug this fall.

7.62x39 barrels are rare - huge problem with not firing cheap mil spec ammo & even normal soft primed rounds. Factory consiscated lots of them that were sent back for "headspace issues"- it wasn't a headspace problem. Primers are recessed slightly in 7.62x39 and the H&R has a shorter than normal firing pin protrusion. Some folks cut the top face of the H&R hammer down some so the firing pin would stick out more. Mine shoots great (now) with a GB 311407 Loverin copy - bout 1880 fps, with a 180gr slug - have to make sure & not seat the primer too deep & I'll get 100% ignition. When we first found out about the misfires was when my son drew down on a South Carolina whitetail doe & dropped the hammer 3 times before switching rounds & then MISSING - skipped the slug off the log in front of him. I was sitting 50 yards away & heard it all (even the whining - made me sick when it happened - he was 15 yrs old - first shot at a deer).

The last run of 35 Whelen got confiscated for "headspace issues" as well. Not sure with what happened on it, but only Remington ammo was involved - or so I heard.

The 30-30 has been regarded by most as one of the best & most accurate (along with the .223 heavy barrels & 45-70). I haven't heard many problems of .308 barrels either.

If no 30-30s around it may just not be time for their "run", it's showing on their website for new rifles & in the barrel accessory program page. http://www.hr1871.com/

BTW, the magnums (showing on their website) are not going to be made - at least not this year - who knows about if or when (I don't need one).

223tenx
03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Guys,
I bought a HR in 4 mag a few years back and sent it off and had a 45-70 and 30-30 barrel fitted to it. I have no complaints with the 30-30 or the 44 mag. That gun is just a little too light for 45-70. (ok, I'm a wuss). I almost never shoot the 45-70 barrel, but I love the 30-30. It seems to like the BL-C(2) loads mentioned in the Lee Manual (under cast loads). I also shot a 3 shot 1"/100yd group with the 44 mag barrel and 2400, but might have been a fluke cause I haven't been able to repeat it. You can't go wrong with it. H-R has a pretty good customer service dept. and if you don't like it you can always sell it on GB's forum. I just wish it was a little heavier.

OBXPilgrim
03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
They've got 2 45-70 barrels available, 22" ($87) & 32"($110) plus their 'fitting' fees. Some of the Greybeard folks got the longer & then had it cut to 26-28" - nice looking set-up - they scoped them, & didn't worry about no front sight dovetail. Would probably get it to a more helpful weight.

Did your .44 mag have the .432" groove dia? It wouldn't be too big a probably for casters, but some folks didn't like the larger groove dia they were getting. Lots of .44 mag barrels got sold off cheap because of the size - lots of .429"-.430" dia slugs leaded BAD - wished I gotten on one - got a .434" GB 290gr mold that's begging for one of those.

JIMinPHX
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
The accessory barrel program still lists 30-30 as an option. I see no reason why they would not be available as a primary caliber.

There is one thing that you need to watch when you buy a Handi. Even though they all look the same, there are different grades of steel that they use. If you buy one that comes in a high pressure caliber like a .308 or a .280, then you can have any barrel that you want fit to it later. If you start out with a low pressure chambering, then you will get a softer material in the frame & your future caliber choices will be limited.

The accessory barrel program is currently quoting 4-6 weeks turnaround.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
phone 978-630-8220 M-F 8:00-4:30 est

They were bought out a month or two ago, so who knows how long it will be before things there start to change. If you want one, I’d hurry up & get it.

NickSS
03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a gun back at H&R for fitting a new barrel and its been there about three months waiting on a 30-30 barrel. Per the factory they should be getting that barrels in about three weeks. They told me that the 30-30 was one of their best selling barrels and it runs out fast when they get a run made.

jdhenry
03-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Great , another gun I JUST HAVE TO BUY.. I like the idea of being able to get a "new gun" for the cost of a barrel:) What is the going rate for one of these??

Scrounger
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
WalMart will order a Handi for about $200, a little over but not much. Barrels have to be fitted to your receiver at the factory, you'll end up paying about $125 for barrels.

jdhenry
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks, thats not bad at all:)

tom barthel
03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
It would probably be better to get the most powerful caliber you want first. There seems to be a variety of sb-2 receivers. If you get a .30-30 and want a .30-06 barrel, you may be out of luck. I recently called about fitting a .308 barrel on my .30-30 sb-2 frame and was told NO. The lady I spoke with told me I was limited to .357, .44mag, and .45-70. If I had known that, I would have started out with the more powerful caliber. Still, There is NOTHING wrong with the .30-30.
Enjoy.

jdhenry
03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I read that earlier so I figure I'll order it in .308 or .270 I think that should cover that problem. If not by all means correct me :)

Thanks

bcp477
03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Aha ! That explains alot. So that is why the .30/30 model (SB2-231, I think) is grouped together on the website with the .45/70, etc.....all low-pressure cartridges. I assumed that it was ONLY because those particular ones were the chamberings offered with iron sights. Good bit of information, that.

If that is the case (that you cannot have a .30/30 H-R refitted with say, a .308 barrel)....then, if I do decide to get one....it will be a .308. Then later, if I decide so, I will get a .30/30 barrel as an accessory.

Thanks for that bit of important info !!!

garandsrus
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Tom,

What year was your receiver made? Here's a statement from the H&R web site:

Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N or H. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.

Rifle frames may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels.

Shotgun frames may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only.

If your frame is a SB2 you should have been able to get the replacement barrel. It sounds like you have a SB1 frame for some reason.

Here is a link to a bunch of Handi Rifle information (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html)... Here's a link to H&R Accessory barrel program (http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx).

John

Junior1942
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd love to have a 30-30 barrel for my Handi. But I want ballard-type rifling in 1 - 12 twist.

Tom W.
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Sometimes I just get lucky. I bought an NEF in 30/30 and one in .270

The 30/30 shoots whatever I put in to it, and generally shoots it quite well. I can't remember the last time a factory round went through it....

The .270 just likes what used to be the cheap factory Remington Cor-lockts. I have yet to create a hand load that it cares for.

unique
03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
"...the H&R has a shorter than normal firing pin protrusion. Some folks cut the top face of the H&R hammer down some so the firing pin would stick out more."

I have a Buffalo Classic (45-70) that has this problem. Can you tell me more about cutting the hammer?

Thanks

JIMinPHX
03-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I just got mine back from the accessory barrel department. It took 3 weeks & 2 days door to door. Not bad.

OBXPilgrim
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Jim, what barrels did you get?

Unique,
I haven't done this, and don't think it's a good idea - it may lead to pierced primers, which would be bad.

But, if you look at the hammer face, it has two steps. If you watch what contacts what when you pull the trigger - hold your thumb on the hammer to slow it down (EMPTY CHAMBER - for any beginners reading this or BETTER YET, take the barrel off).

You will see the transfer bar sticking up to be hit by the 2nd step of the hammer. The very top face of the hammer hits the frame. That's the face that some folks ground down to let the firing pin stick out farther. Test out what I'm telling you first (with the barrel OFF the gun), cock the hammer, pull the trigger - but hold it back. Then push the transfer bar in as far as you can - firing pin stick out farther? Yes, I thought so.

I do not know what SAAMI (or anybody else) proper firing pin protrusion actually is. I measured mine (Handi Rifle & Sidekick muzzleloader) and both were .046" (measured with caliper stem - that is not off). My HandiRifle has a small diameter pin & the ML has a larger shotgun diameter pin. I've got an M1Garand firing pin protrusion gage & they are marked .044" & .059".

I hope that helps.

And I guess I should have said "Primers are recessed slightly in 7.62x39 and the H&R has a shorter than normal firing pin protrusion - FOR GUNS THAT USE THAT CALIBER."

JIMinPHX
03-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Jim, what barrels did you get?

Got any load suggestions?

unique
03-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks OBX...

Yes I found eveything as you stated. My pin protrusion measures 0.40" which seems a little short. Before I remove metal from anything I make sure there isn't another way. I am not sure what I will do at this point.

Can someone out there with a BC measure their firing pin protrusion and report back. Thanks in advance.

OBXPilgrim
03-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Got any load suggestions?

Yes, I do. If you can chamber 360 Dan Wesson, a Saeco 200gr spitzer in front of 15.0 gr of 2400 did real good on accuracy. Seated length on mine was 2.020" OAL (work it up - usual reloader's disclaimer)

Also had some fun loads in the way of 147gr 356637 (9mm) slug in 360 DW brass at 1.800" OAL using 4.0 gr of Unique. It's an accurate (and quiet) squib load that had the same point of impact as the 200gr load at 50 yds.

My pin protrusion measures 0.40"

Geez, that is short (meant .040", right?). You get misfires all the time?

If you want to try trigger job on it yourself, you'd already have the hammer out of the frame to cut the face while you're at it.

Swampman
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I've been buying and shooting Handis for years. The only calibers I'd own are the .30-30, .45-70, .357 Magnum, and maybe the .444.

All current production SB2 receivers are heat treated for high pressure cartridges.

Shotguns have SB1 receivers.

There is a .357 and .44 mag Handi that uses a SB1 with a small dia. firing pin.