PDA

View Full Version : Great day at the range.

7br
03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Today was my day to volunteer at the range and I count a coup any time I come home with more .45 brass that I arrived with. That was not the best part. Two older gentlemen were shooting just to the east of one of my friends. We wound up talking with them. Turns out it was a father/son tandem that showed up in separate cars. I am not sure how old the son was, but I did catch that the father was 95. He was working up loads for a Sako in .243. His worst group was about 3 inches and that was the one where he was tweaking his scope. His best group was a shade over an inch.

After they left, another gentleman showed up with a Browning hi-wall in .30-30 and a 1873 Springfield trapdoor. He generously let me take a shot with it. It really was not bad with the buffalo bore black powder loads. Turns out, he is an archeologist and is studying some of the buffalo camps/trail camps in the area.

A little after lunch, another group showed up. One of them had a universal M1 Carbine and an Inland carbine from 1942. I did not get to fondle either one, but it was neat just see a piece of history like that.

I also ran into a fellow that helps with the hunters' ed clinic. Asked me if I had ever seen any bullets like what he had and lo and behold, they were powder coat cast. Turns out he is member of the board here.

Finally, about 15 minutes before we were going to shut down. I noticed a young boy standing outside of the fence with his grandpa. I went over to talk with them. The grandfather is deaf and the grandson was signing for him. While I was talking with them, one of the shooters that I did not know from Adam came up and said he had some .22 ammo that he "Needed to shoot up" and they were welcome to have at it. They came in and both left with smiles so big I thought they might do permanent damage to their lips. Hanging out at the range really is not a bad way to spend a spring day.

dtknowles
03-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Love that.

Tim

obssd1958
03-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Great day, indeed!

:D:drinks:

Newtire
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as a bad day at the range. Some are just more gooder than others though...

jcwit
04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Without a doubt a GREAT day at the range. It was just super than fellow shared his 22 ammo with the boy and grandfather.

Thanks for sharing.

smokeywolf
04-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Always good to hear that the shooting sport has been advanced and enjoyed by more people.

gray wolf
04-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Way ta go, good job.

Echo
04-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Worth making a mark on the calendar and celebrating annually - Really, a Great Day!

runfiverun
04-26-2015, 02:19 PM
you wrote browning hi-wall in 30-30 and I read browning hi-power in 30-30.
.................??
the wife finally asked why I had that stupid look on my face.
then it dawned on me what I was actually reading.

Ed Barrett
04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Always a good day at the range, when you meet nice people too, that's the cherry on top.

FISH4BUGS
04-30-2015, 04:36 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as a bad day at the range. Some are just more gooder than others though...

I have blown up 2 guns in my days. A S&W 76 submachinegun (thank goodness they are heavy steel tubes and not muffler pipe like Stens) and a 3914.
I'm sure that qualifies as a "bad day at the range".

jcwit
04-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Most any day at the range is a good day!

Blacksmith
04-30-2015, 11:10 PM
There are good days
better days
and best days.

No bad days.