PDA

View Full Version : stiff lifter in my 94.

ironjaw
03-28-2015, 09:20 AM
i put a 94 .30-30 together from some parts last summer. the lifter is machined and appears new. this is a pre 64 frame and bolt,barrel. it works but a very" firm" lever is needed to get cartridge to rise to load position.
any thoughts on smoothing this part to operate with less effort???

pietro
03-28-2015, 11:39 AM

I would first ensure that the lifter isn't touching anything, along it's length or on it's fwd edge, that would add some drag to the lifter's motion - then look at slightly stoning the side(s) of the lifter, at it's pivot point.

ironjaw
03-29-2015, 12:30 AM
thanks, just was hoping for an starting point to relive this issue. this old gun shoots so well with cast,gc. 170 grn. .309 ,16 grn. 4895. is my desert rifle in the ranger.

retiredPO
03-29-2015, 09:10 AM
****.....I thought you were just braggin...... Stiff Lifter...and all.......

MrWolf
03-29-2015, 11:31 AM
****.....I thought you were just braggin...... Stiff Lifter...and all.......

make sure you see someone if not fixed after four hours :bigsmyl2:

dubber123
03-29-2015, 11:37 AM
If you have cycled it a fair amount, any high spots that are rubbing should now be visible if you pull it back down. A bit of clearance, and you should be good to go. A lot of replacement parts are left on the large side for fitting. Good luck with your new shooter.

Frank46
03-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Get a black magic marker and cover anything that even remotely may be contacting the lifter. Cycle the action a few times and if it contacting something then it will show up. Use some 320 grit silicon carbide paper to slightly reduce the areas that have been marked. Repeat if necessary if it is still stiff. When you get it to where you want it then some 600 grit silicon carbide paper to polish the lifter. Also check the screws that hold the rails or cartridge guides in place if loose could be the cause of the problem. The screws do loosen up from time to time. Frank