PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever reloaded.......

3006guns
03-26-2015, 07:56 PM
.......just for the sake of reloading? Just to play around trying different die settings, seating depths, priming devices? "Let's work up a load for the 7.7 Jap.....and try a harder boolit this time when I get out to the range. Need to load those 30-40 cases too, come to think of it."

Sounds like a goofy question, but I had spinal surgery about two months ago and recuperation gets boring very quickly. Winter doesn't help much either. I started sorting/tumbling brass, then looking up my various pet loads, then loading quantities to shoot when I can get active again. I used just about every tool I own, more or less to keep me familiar with them, purchased even more off the internet and before I knew it....I was out of brass!

Since I used up most of my cast boolit stock, I'll have to smelt more lead and break out the molds from their slumber so as to have "extras" on hand.

I now have a neatly stacked pile of .50 caliber ammo cans, each labeled with its particular caliber for my milsurps, handguns, and 12 gauge black powder cartridge guns. I have so much .223 it's ridiculous, yet I'll probably order more J-words sometime soon. Although I'm looking forward to some shooting this spring and summer out in Nevada, I have enough ammo stockpiled to start a decent fire fight right now. I REALLY need to get out and shoot...........so I can start all over again!

I started reloading around 1970 or so and I think I may be hooked..........

Ahhhh......beats stamp collecting any day! :)

03-26-2015, 08:20 PM
It's addicting, I tell ya!

Got some 357 brass from a member earlier this week, resized and prepped it and went to put it away this morning. Looked at a bin of about 1000 38's I got a while back that had not been done. Well, guess what was next on the list!

Recently out of work. Took up casting. Have no spare time anymore... LOL

StratsMan
03-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Reloading is my hobby, not shooting.... Some (most) people reload to support their shooting habit... I shoot to generate empty brass in support of my reloading habit....

orbitalair
03-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Um, yeah. Last 10 rounds of 30-06 I loaded were JUST to get a few rounds to test AA4064 with 150gr FMJs.
It wasn't like I already have I think 60rds of various lead bullets and powder combos...

I do enjoy reloading.

TXGunNut
03-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Could be why I load mostly small "test" lots these days and do lots of load development. This way I always have some loading to do after every range trip and I always need to go to the range to test my loads. When I get bored with a cartridge (come up with a load my rifle likes) I load up 50-100 rds and move on to the next project.

GhostHawk
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Or bought a new gun so you would have something new to play with?
New loads to research, see if you can make an existing mold work, etc, etc.

My wife thinks I've gone nutz.
I'm starting to think she's right!

tazman
03-26-2015, 09:20 PM
There is always a new mold to try out and work up loads for or a new powder to try. I have favorite loads that I use a lot but it may be that the next one I try may be the ultimate tack driver.
The more I try the better my ammo gets.

texassako
03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
The reason I own almost no duplicate calibers is to have fun at the reloading bench, and the few duplicates are in very different firearms needing different loads and techniques. Reloading, for me, is like going on vacation. I enjoy the trip there while some only enjoy the destination. It can be a sickness since the occasional response at the range is what is it and why.

35 shooter
03-26-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm sure guilty of it. Even with one load there is always something to try to maybe get it a little better. Like what if i leave the taper on the case mouth, take out the taper, no crimp, light crimp,harder crimp,neck size, turn necks, full length size, partial size, neck size, play with seating depth,tweak the charge, yada yada yada.
When i start doing all that with several loads and different boolits just in one caliber, it turns into a never ending thing....love it!!
Makes one wonder how bbls. can last as long as they do.[smilie=s:

opos
03-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Got a 25-06 that I've not shot yet but I've shot enough of them and loaded enough for them to have a pretty good idea of what's what...but I got some brass with the rifle when I bought it soooo as any addicted loader would do...I cleaned and made the brass purdy, sized, trimmed, primed and today loaded 40 rounds from loads that I got a feeling are not going to group up to loads that I'm pretty sure are going to be hot but accurate...8 "steps" of 5 rounds each..is just a bit excessive but it 's what I did..going tomorrow and see if I can flatten out some primers.

kfarm
03-26-2015, 10:12 PM
As stratsman said reloading is my hobby. I used to load to shoot now its more let me borrow your rifle and let me work up a load for it. I used to buy rifles to do this but it got way too expensive to buy so I borrow. Even though I have a farm to shoot on and a 100 yd range at my reloading shed shooting has lost a lot of interest. I still love to watch others shoot, guess getting older you loose interest in a lot of things.

.22-10-45
03-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Thats why I like to refer to my hobby as handloading..it can be a nearly never ending experiment of various alloys, lubes..both commercial and home brewed, sizing dia.'s neck tension, seating depths, bullet bumping/swaging, etc. So much more interesting than simply re-filling empty cases..and a WHOLE lot more than simply picking a jacketed bullet out of a box and stuffing it in a case.

WRideout
03-27-2015, 07:23 AM
I worked up a load for my 7.62 Nagant using the Lee 100 gr boolit, and Unique. After that I had to try a .311 round ball, and then a black powder load with the Lee boolit, just for kicks. A friend gave me his used 38 Short Colt brass, which I loaded a while back, but have not yet had a chance to try in his Iver Johnson top break. Keeps me busy.

Wayne

brstevns
03-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Might sound silly but I find it very relaxing. I also enjoy PP bullets.[smilie=s:

LuckyDog
03-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Reloading is my hobby, not shooting.... Some (most) people reload to support their shooting habit... I shoot to generate empty brass in support of my reloading habit....

This is me to a T.

And like Wayne, I want to try things.

My Mosin (M91/30) has a 115gr .313 CB that makes as much noise hitting the paper target at 100yds as it does leaving the barrel.
FUN I tell ya.

largom
03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
The difference between a Reloader and a Handloader:
Reloaders load so they can shoot more.
Handloaders shoot more so they can load more.
Like many others here I love to handload. I use only single stage presses and do everything one at a time. I ream primer pockets, deburr flash holes, size, trim and polish all of my brass. I weigh all boolits as well as cases. This is not all necessary but I like doing it.

Larry

tward
03-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Guilty! Never could figure out if I reload to shoot or shoot to reload. Love the tinkering! Tim:bigsmyl2:

3006guns
03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
I had to chuckle a bit.......the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Sound familiar? :)

bedbugbilly
03-27-2015, 12:18 PM
First off . . . hope your recovery is coming along well! And don't push it by lifting a bunch of lead to smelt . . . it will still be there to play with once you're all healed up!

I've only been reloading for a few years but have been shooting and casting front stuffers for over 50 years. When I first got set up to reload, I knew I had another "addiction" on my hands. :-) I love to "play" with different molds and loads - all I do is "plink" now but I really think I enjoy the reloading more than the shooting at times . but hey, it keeps a guy busy and out of trouble so I think it's a good hobby to get in to. And, having fun is what it's all about . . . life's to short to wake up some day and say . . . "gee, I wish I would have . . . ". And, like other hobbies . . . you get to know some pretty nice folks who share the same interest!

Good luck and hope you'll soon feel like using up some of those reloads . . then you can start all over again!

cliff55
03-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Not out empty brass yet. I am getting close.
Time get shooting

tazman
03-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Picked up a jug of WST a couple of weeks ago. I finally got around to experimenting with some of it. Took a bunch of different charge weighted 38 special loads to the range today. I found a load in there that gave me the best accuracy I've had yet with my K38.
Experimenting pays off sooner or later.

GhostHawk
03-27-2015, 10:53 PM
LOL I have been playing with 93 grain .311 bullets over 7.5 grains of Red Dot in 7.62x39 russian.

Discovering that it shoots 5" above point of aim I dropped the load down to 7 and loaded 15 for further testing.

Hey if all your punching holes in is paper who cares how big the bullet is?

And the new gun arrived today, H&R single shot in .444 marlin with camo composite stock.
I can't say it looks as pretty as a traditional walnut, what it looks is serious.
Now to start playing with BIG Boolits. :)

pworley1
03-27-2015, 11:20 PM
The only thing about all this that is better than reloading is case forming. An excuse to also use the mill and lathe.

Bzcraig
03-28-2015, 12:06 AM
Yup, been there done that and like you I always end up buying something online!

tdoyka
03-28-2015, 12:09 AM
i just handload/reload for various calibers. it really calms me. i can load up the 7-08 for 139gr j-words or my 444 with ranch dogs. theres always the 20 vartarg, oh wait, i got a 22-250ai that could really use...then theres my 270 that...308 i can...45-70 takes a moyers boolits...30-40 krag that i have... 30-30 that needs a cast boolit...so many i...and theres my boy's 30-06 and 7x57...oh, don't forget dads 7x30...my little bros 270 and 45-70...

i think i need help. do you happen to have a 1903a3 or 1917 enfield in 30-06 that i can buy.....:bigsmyl2:

3006guns
03-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Good replies all, folks. Kinda brings a tear to the old eyes, knowing that I'm not the only casting, reloading, case forming, experimenting fool out there!

I was asked once by someone if I was a hunter. This person knew very little about firearms and automatically assumed that my reason for owning them was to provide meat for the table. I told him "No, I'm an experimental shooter. I take an unknown, usually antique or vintage gun, and work up loads for it so as to bring out the best accuracy possible."

"I see" he said. "So, what happens after you accomplish that?"

"I find another one and start all over again"

"That's NUTS!" he said.

"And what did you say your hobby was?" I asked. "Oh, that's right........you collect and trade stamps..............."

tdoyka
03-28-2015, 10:44 PM
i hunt mostly deer. whether its a new fangled gun, an old gun, and until recently a crossbow. i used to use a compound bow but i had a stroke at a young age(39 y.o.) and the right half of my body is basically paralyzed(its about 20-30% good). i had to give up my flintlock and inline guns since i had the stroke. but i remember quite well the times i have spent in the woods. now i go with my utv and i have a few spots within 30-50 yards off the trail.

this year i started using cast boolits(i buy them) to help me take the deer down. right now it is the 30-40 krag, 444 marlin and the 45-70. i'll start casting my own in 3 or 4 years.

the year i had the stroke i was about to buy the tc encore and i was going to take up handgunning. but i didn't, so now i have a 6.5creedmoor and a 20 vartarg in a tc encore both with a 16 1/4" mgm barrels. and boy do they shoot!!!
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/tdoyka/52ca449d-643e-4560-8cf7-e3cd903a24bd_zps3ac97918.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/tdoyka/media/52ca449d-643e-4560-8cf7-e3cd903a24bd_zps3ac97918.jpg.html)

the krag(1898 spr arm), marlin(tc encore), and the 45-70(handi-rifle) will start this spring. i really wish that my bank account holds up to buy a 1903a3 or 1917 enfield in 30-06 so i can start another cast boolit for just shooting. i also have anther tc encore in a 27" mgm heavy factory barrel in 22-250ai that shoots a 75gr amax. the '06 and the 22-250ai will be my "only shooters".

my "deer rifle" is a ruger #1 in 270 win that shoots either a 130gr or 150gr ballistic tip. i'm really going to miss this one!!! i ain't going to leave this one go, but for 300+ yards, the old 270 is the way to go!!!

i was sort of sad when i was loading j-bullets. everything just fell into place. accuracy is top notch, bullets do exactly what their suppose to do, and the powder always gives me the best fps. it was getting boring. and then my late grandpap gave me a 30-40 krag. i decided it was time to start loading cast boolits. right now i am shooting a 165gr(174gr) ranch dog with 3 other powders(1700-1900fps) over open sights. this week instead of bulls bags(20+ years, its time to change), i using a cadwell lead sled. i only wish it helps me shoot real good.

ok, rants done. i "promise":kidding:

WRideout
03-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Yesterday I tried out a load I had read about here. It is a small charge (.22 LR case full) of Red Dot in a 223 Rem case, topped with the .22 Lee Bator. With cci 400 primers, it sounds about like a 22 rimfire out of my Rem 722. At 25 yards, I was getting cloverleaf groups, about 4" below POA. I need to roll up a bunch more of these.

Wayne

mr surveyor
03-30-2015, 10:50 PM
and I thought I was just afflicted. Embarrassingly, I have to admit I don't own a .45LC or .41Mag .... but I want them just so I can justify buying dies and components. Where do I sign up for the Twelve Step Program? :)

jd

kawasakifreak77
03-31-2015, 01:15 AM
I love to load but man I can barely keep up with brass prep for my rifles!

Sgt Petro
04-01-2015, 09:52 PM
I had some 38 S&W brass and and some hollow base wadcutters I seated backwards. The round looks very much like the old Webley "manstoppers". Looked up the OAL in a reloading manual. I loaded 50 rounds. They look great! [smilie=w:

I still don't have a firearm chambered in 38 S&W :bigsmyl2:

clum553946
04-01-2015, 10:50 PM
I feel your pain but:
[QUOTE=mr surveyor;3199093]and I thought I was just afflicted. Embarrassingly, I have to admit I don't own a .45LC or .41Mag .... but I want them just so I can justify buying dies and components. Where do I sign up for the Twelve Step Program? :)

I think you're preaching to the wrong choir on this forum! Lol! I find reloading to be a relaxing pastime & almost as rewarding as the shooting! (Not quite, but almost!)

pretzelxx
04-01-2015, 11:06 PM
I want to load up about 10,000 45 rounds... But I need more brass and primers. I have enough lead and powder for it all haha.. I just want to see the size of the pile when I'm done