PDA

View Full Version : Slapped together a 30-06 shooter

mckenziedrums
03-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Something like a year ago I acquired a Stevens 200 in 30-06 for <200 bucks and I put it in the safe. Figured it would be good for testing 30-06 loads rather than putting them in my milsurp rifles. Well that got me thinking, which is always dangerous, and I thought "Why not build a long range rig in 30-06...." It's hardly ground breaking but it seems these days everyone runs a 308 or 300 win mag if they're shooting 30 cal. I've got a 260 rig for shooting the 6.5's but I have a ton of 30-06 brass and I wanted to have some fun.

Talked to Jim at Northland and ordered up a 28" Shilen bull barrel and then sent Shilen a few mocked up rounds to ensure they would chamber. I wanted to ring the performance out of the 30-06 case so I used Winchester brass and stuck a 208gr Amax in it just a touch over SAAMI OAL specs. The goal was to leave enough room for up to 60gr of powder under it.

My stock manufacturer of choice is backed up almost 6 months so I had to go with a Choate for now. With the stock and that huge barrel she weighs in at a mildly hefty 12.2lbs. Add 11oz for the Harvester suppressor.

Pretty sure I can get a one hole group at 100 yards by just leaning forwards.... In any case I finally got the rail and rings in to mount up my Sightron SIII so I took it to the range yesterday with my RL22 ladder test. The goal for the day? Break 2800fps with a 208gr bullet.

I'm happy to say I did just that and with 58.5 grains of powder the SD of the first 5 I sent down range was insanely good. Unfortunately the bipod setup on the stock leaves a LOT to be desired and I had loaned my bags out so no pictures of the disappointing 1.5" groups. (9 shots fired in that string the SD ended up at 8.7, one primer failed to fire.) This was using standard CCI Large Rifle.

Youtube video showing just how good of job the Harvester does at taming both the recoil and the noise of this rifle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQpgXyo0Jo

Groups/SD/everything opened up by the time I hit 59gr of powder. I didn't do any 60gr test loads and I think the 58.5 is going fast enough so I'm going to play around with seating depth and explore that particular load a bit more. Ballistically this should be pretty close to shooting the 6.5's with the BC on those 208gr amax. Who needs a 300? ;)

Now to work on some loads with the 247gr NOE cast boolits for even quieter shooting.

CastingFool
03-26-2015, 04:48 PM
The rifle sounds like a 22RF, and the barrel barely jumps! Good job!

mckenziedrums
03-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Yea, the suppressor was a great investment. As hard as I'm pushing those 208's it shoots softer than my heavy 308 target rifle. Of course, that is currently getting threaded so I can use it on that as well. Just for grins I shot it a few times with a brake to rattle everyone first and then put this on to quiet things down. I wouldn't go so far as saying "hearing safe" but it does sound a lot like a 22.

leebuilder
03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Thats neat. Big and burly, but quiet.

mckenziedrums
03-27-2015, 04:32 PM
It'll rattle your teeth with the normal brake on it but yea with the suppressor no one has any idea you're launching big bullets at pretty high velocity. Hoping I get a chance in the next week or so to really work the load.

ascast
03-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I like that rig. Keep us posted on your load progress. I really like the suppressor, but I think cost prohibitive for me.

mckenziedrums
03-27-2015, 05:09 PM
It's not terrible... The tax stamp sucks but I got the suppressor itself right around $500. It is a lightweight hunting/precision rifle setup, not suitable for mag dumps in an AR but I'm not doing mag dumps so it fits me.