PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Primer Wads Test Results

texasmac
03-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Guys,

You may be aware that many BPCR shooters use primer wads over the primer or under the powder in an attempt to further reduce the primer power (brisance). The intent is to reduce velocity extreme spread and lower standard deviations. I’ve been using under-powder wads punched out of 0.004” copier paper, but until now have never run tests to determine if they’re effective or if a different thickness is a better solution.

After completing a good bit of range testing primer wads, I just published the results on my website. Titled, BPCR Primer Wads Test Results, the article can be found at the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/BPCR_Primer_Wads_Testing_Results.html

But first you may also be interested in a previous article I just updated titled, Large Pistol Primers and Primer Wads in BPCRs, which includes an introduction to using primer wads. The link is http://www.texas-mac.com/Large_Pistol_Primers_and_Primer_Wads_in_BPCRs.html .

Wayne

gmsharps
03-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I haven't been shooting BPCR for some time due to extended deployments and am returning to the US late spring and will be getting back to shooting again. Nice to get some info on the newer ideas.

gmsharps

country gent
03-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Iuse an over primer wad of aluminum foil. this is cut with the primer when seating into cases, between case head and primer. (slooted a sheel holder so strips can be feed thru making this quick and simple. Cuit foil into 3/8 wide strips slide in and prime slide strip forward and prime next case) I recover very few of these wads even as the primer flash seems to destroy them. Im suspecting they lower force and add to the hot particles of the primers at the same time. Lay out shell holder with ink and sharp dividers to where bottom of it is on back of radious. with a .030 dremmel cut off wheel and mandrel cut thru the back to the inside making as wide as possible to inside of sheel holder. This allows the strip to be fed thru in a continuous motion.

missionary5155
03-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Greetings
Thanks Wayne for all the time to put this info before us. I have never tried OPW but will give it a try next time up. Gaining any accuracy at 300 yards (longest range at our club) would be enjoyable in the 50-95 and 43 Spanish. May even get the caliber 45's out this time up.
Mike in Peru

rfd
03-29-2015, 06:24 PM
wayne, very interesting! i've got to test that out as well.

country gent, that's also so interesting! what primers - lrp, lrpm or lpp? if lpp, that foil could help decrease the pocket depth for less blow back ...?

thanx for sharing, guys - at least food for thought, indeed.

country gent
03-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Ive been using remington large rifle primers am about out now and going to give federals a try soon. I have also considered sleeving a few cases down to small pistol size and trying that. What I find interesting witht he foil between primer and case is when deprimed there is nothing left of the foil disc to be seen. It would be interesting to see some flash potos of the primers flash with and with out the foil discs.