PDA

View Full Version : For all you Blue Jackets

popper
03-25-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/u-s-navy-documentary-1915

Ed Barrett
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
That's the real "old Navy", and I was in when they were still issuing flat hats (Donald Duck hats) and clothes stops.

RKJ
03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
And we thought we were Salty. Those guys were the real deal.

Bad Water Bill
03-25-2015, 10:43 PM
That's the real "old Navy", and I was in when they were still issuing flat hats (Donald Duck hats) and clothes stops.

YES SIR.

Me to[smilie=s:

And we hung the clothes WE SCRUBBED in the steam room to dry.

Frank46
03-25-2015, 11:38 PM
We washed our best whites and blues in the generator room. Then turned them inside out to get a unique seam then ironed the blues and used spray starch on the whites. Just before every deployment we'd stock up on starch, sewing kits, goodies which was kept in each space. One guy bought himself a fancy sewing machine and did tailoring on the uniforms. When we pulled into our homeport he told me he had made over 5K just sewing and thats 1965 dollars. Frank

Blacksmith
03-27-2015, 01:08 AM
Thanks. I sent the link to my grandson who joined the Navy last year and was just assigned his first duty station after tech school.

Echo
03-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Great film. I'll send to GD Erin, who was in the Navy 6 years, mostly stationed @ Ft. Gordon, GA (!).

Mk42gunner
03-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Nice to see that one hundred years ago a Boatswain's Mate or Gunner's Mate was already resting his foot on a bitt. I couldn't tell but the one shown was a right arm rate.

I am glad that we didn't have to do gun drill in any kind of whites while I was in.

Oh, and I will send the link to one of my old running mates.

Robert

RKJ
03-28-2015, 01:51 PM
I am glad that we didn't have to do gun drill in any kind of whites while I was in.

I was thinking along the same lines when I watched it. The dungarees were sure ugly but at least they didn't show every little speck that the whites did. But, you know it seems like my whites didn't get as dirty once I put anchors on. :) Must have been different material.

AKtinman
03-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Watching that would give an OSHA inspector nightmares for weeks!

I have a couple of friends who will enjoy the link. Thanks for posting it.

Bad Water Bill
03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Memories

Sitting in the movie hall during my 3rd week of boot camp.

Over the PA comes a command for little old me to call the Chief Provost marshal immediately.

The Co Commander (a GM1) grabs me saying "what in the he77 did you do"?

He marches me to the nearest phone and after a moment or 2 hands me the phone.

Imagine the look on HIS face when the first thing he hears me say are "you son of a b you scared the s out of me.

Yes the big guy lived directly across the street from me but we never knew just what he was in the Navy.

One thing I do know is that that man drew enough water to call Full Admirals in the middle of the night at his home and say "hi Dan its Art and I have a problem".

But that is another story for another time.

Memories are made of this.[smilie=s: