PDA

View Full Version : New Boolet Lube? Should I Clean lube/sizer?

DonMountain
03-25-2015, 04:02 PM
I am in the process of switching boolet lube for all of my lead boolets, from one I bought in a large quantity 20 years ago, to a new one I bought from a guy recommended here. So, my question is, do most of you just stick a new lube stick in your Lube/sizer (I am using an RCBS LAM-II) and flush the old lube out as you size boolets? Or do you use up all the old lube and then clean out your lube/sizer before inserting a new stick? I don't ever change lube types. I just use the same one for all sizing/lubing all of my lead projectiles. Rifle or handgun.

Beagle333
03-25-2015, 04:06 PM
I just fill it up with new lube. It'll lube funny colors for a little bit, but it'll do fine.

gwpercle
03-25-2015, 04:10 PM
I have always used soft lubes that don't require heat, being "frugal" I just insert a stick on top of what was in there and keep on lubing . I had some black Lyman lube and started using Ben's Red, at first it was a blackish-red mix but it soon changed color to red.
Gary

Le Loup Solitaire
03-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Just add your new lube and keep going. The color will change eventually to the new lube as already pointed out and that is it. Not worth the effort or time needed to boil or scrape the old lube out. I have "changed" lubes several times this way and never noticed any deviations caused by the transitions. LLS

upnorthwis
03-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Where I live, everyone just adds the next stick. Someone came up with a name for it too. ZEBRA LUBE.

Doggonekid
03-25-2015, 11:47 PM
I totally clean out my RCBS lube sizer once and installed new "O" rings. What a pain in the butt. For the last 20 years I have been using zebra lube for a while when I change lubes. Don't change lubes very often and it is not worth the work of cleaning out your lube sizer. Just lock and load your next stick.

Butchman205
03-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Personally, I dig the term zebra-lube!
I asked the same question on another forum, and got the same answers as you have gotten here.

Add another stick and keep on lubing!!!

DonMountain
03-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Where I live, everyone just adds the next stick. Someone came up with a name for it too. ZEBRA LUBE.

I guess this clarifies all of the issues for me. And at what point will all the new-Zebra-lubed boolets start going through the same hole in the 100 Yard target at 5,000 feet-per-second like the new lube producer promised?

Beagle333
03-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Zebra lube! (from a Star)
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/jan30003_zpsae2a7a0f.jpg

captaint
03-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Don - Soon, Grasshopper, soon.

Echo
03-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Zebra Rules!

fredj338
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't, just feed the new lube in & keep going. Sure it mixes for a few dozen bullets, so?

Butchman205
05-07-2015, 10:30 PM
You know, just about anybody can have plain 'ole one-colored bullet lube...but this here's ZEBRA lube. It's hard to come by....that's why these boolits cost soooooo much more. -Tom Sawyer selling the boolits with mixed lube.

Yodogsandman
05-09-2015, 09:19 AM
I switched lubes last year in my LAM II. I didn't quite like the old lube. The lube I was using required a heater all the time and the new lube, not so much, above about 20*F outside. I took it apart and boiled it in a big pan on the barbecue side burner. Allowed it to cool, skimmed the lube from the water and saved it for reducing/fluxing. Removed the LAM II and dried it out. Added new lube and don't regret doing it at all.

I know this flies in the face of Zebra lube but, I know what's lubing my boolits. Every single one!

BTW, I boiled and cleaned out all the sizing dies, too.

pls1911
05-09-2015, 09:22 AM
When started cast I first started casting and lubing, I bought 30 or so tubes of old lube from OLD men getting out of the game. 30 years later, I'm still working off those old lubes and they work fine... Clean the lubrisizer between Uncle Jeb's lube and Billy Joe Jim Bob's lube? Nah,... never.
green to yellow to red to brown. Cast, lube, shoot..repeat. Life is about that simple. ZEBRA RULES!!

gray wolf
05-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Don't be surprised at how long it takes to get all the old lube out and only new new flowing.

Ain't going to happen with just a dozen or so bullets.

My vote; clean it out.

dragonrider
05-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Absolutely clean it out, Take out the die put a coffe can beneath it and use a hair dryer or a heat gun, be careful with the heat gun or you can burn the paint off your sizer. It might take a half hour to do this.

45-70 Chevroner
05-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Dito on Beagle333. Just put the new stick in and go for it.

45-70 Chevroner
05-09-2015, 04:28 PM
I've been making my own lube for well over 30 years and it verys in color from a tan to dark brown. I got a chance to buy some Lyman molly lube for a dollar a stick a few years ago, so I got 4 sticks.. It shot OK but it did not stick to the boolit very well, I had to be careful when seating the boolit because the lube would stick to my fingers and pull out of the lube grooves. I would not use it again even if I got it free.

44man
05-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Where is the red, white and blue?
Make the holes in the die star shaped and we could have freedom lube!
I never clean either but if you must, use one of the heat guns for covering model airplanes, they only get to 400 degrees. They work great on water lines or hoses you need to take off fittings.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I would boil it and start fresh

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-10-2015, 11:09 AM
I guess I am a purest, I completely clean a lubesizer when changing a lube.
For most pistol shooting, I'm sure it wouldn't matter if I didn't.
But if/when I'm loading/shooting cast boolits for rifle, I don't want any extra uncontrolled issues, when I don't get the grouping I want.

Totally agree with Grey Wolf, it's more than a few boolits.
One time I got a used Lubesizer with some black lube...probably the old Lyman lube. I did clean it, but obviously not well. It never stopped making striped lubed boolits, til I finally did completely clean it, with mineral spirits and a brush (after melting the bulk of the lube out).

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 01:20 PM
I have a 4500 dedicated to BP loads, SPG stays in there. When I decided to start lubing SP rifle boolits in a lubrisizer another 4500 was called for, life's too short to be cleaning out perfectly good lube. I started out with NRA 50/50 and have since changed over to BAC, lubes are similar enough that the resulting Zebra lube is barely noticeable.