PDA

View Full Version : Primer Seating Equipment

terryt
03-25-2015, 12:07 AM
Hi:

For those that use something besides their press for seating primer's I wouldto hear the pro's and cons of other ways of doing.
What equipment do you use?

I always did the priming in the press and see that there are other ways andwould appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,

Terryt

jmort
03-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Old style Lee Auto Prime, "Round Tray." Just got a RCBS bench mounted tool but have not tried it out.

fast ronnie
03-25-2015, 12:11 AM
I use an RCBS automatic bench primer. It is really fast, you have a very good feel, it uses standard shell holders and you can see the primers in the tool before you seat them. That is kind of important if you've ever had a primer in upside down.

bangerjim
03-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Lee makes a couple styles of hand primers. I have primed many thousands of shells with them!

Very easey to use and inexpensive.

big bore 99
03-25-2015, 12:31 AM
I use the Lee. It's everything I need it to be.

EDG
03-25-2015, 12:35 AM
I have tried all the Lee tools but I still use the original Lee tool - no tray and the shell holders screw in.

I also owned a Bonanza Co Ax primer seater for a while. It seemed ok but the primer feed tubes were too short. Mostly a gimmick tool designed to be different rather than better.

I also own a RCBS bench tool - the old, old version with the circular cam and no primer feed. It works great.

And finally I have a K&M tool. Seems really nice but I never liked it much.

MT Chambers
03-25-2015, 01:22 AM
My fav. is either priming on my Forster Co-ax or the Lyman 310 tool, both are very positive and have great feel, luckily I'm not in any hurry.

Three44s
03-25-2015, 02:11 AM
I use the RCBS hand tool that uses the standard shell holders.

I just acquired the RCBS Standard bench tool ....... the same one that EDG describes.

I always wanted one of those but they have been out of production for several years ..... But with patience, I finally tracked one down.

Unfortunately, the small priming rod was missing and I checked with RCBS for a replacement and they told me it was no longer available.

I rechecked their web site and found that the pertinent part number coincided with their current bench priming tool.

So I called them back and they sent me not one set but two sets of new seating assemblies a few days apart. (A bit of confusion ensued when I called to enquire what had become of the first set ........... as it had not shown up yet.

............. So they sent me a second set.

Now, as I tried the new seater punches I was disappointed that they were a few thousanths too short.

I swapped parts around until I had a small priming punch long enough to for a proper reach.

After the second set came I started measuring them in various combinations and finally found a good combo so I have both sizes set up at any given time.

I like the "standard" tool better as it gives me the most feel .......... I think the cam action beats a straight leverage tool ........ but that's only a theory of mine.

Count me happy anyway!

What I do is to initially seat the primers on the hand tool as it sports the primer tray feed ....... then I take those primed cases and sort out any high ones and re-seat them on the bench tool just described above.

Three 44s

gloob
03-25-2015, 05:16 AM
I tossed my Autoprime. I prefer to prime on the Breechlock Challenger press. I set the handle short to where I can squeeze the primers in by gripping the front of the press frame with my fingers, ball of the lever in my palm. It's so much better feel and just the right amount of leverage. I can easily feel a crimped pocket. I can easily feel the primer cup bottoming out. And it is fast as anything. No fussing with filling a primer tray, and no struggling to clear a jam when I get a sideways primer or a crimped pocket in the Autoprime.

The huge huge bonus is I can load all my brass, even when I don't have hundreds of cases on hand. If I have an unknown quantity of brass, I just start with fewer primers than I need, and then sprinkle out a few more when I get close enough to count the remaining cases. Without having to reload a priming tray with an exact count... lose a primer, and then be messed up again. Or purposely load too many and have to unload it after. Or keep the tray filled with excess primers and have to label it (and have a slight explosion hazard) and needing multiple trays for different primers types. Grr... just more trouble than it's worth. Yeah, I could just set aside the last 37 cases and have to store them until I have a full 100, but I rather get done with it and not have to store 37 unprimed cases, separately, and have all that extra priming gear, trays, rods. I already need the press, so I keep it simple. And did I mention, the press primes better, as well?

ioon44
03-25-2015, 07:24 AM
I use the RCBS bench mounted tool for priming rifle cased and all pistol cases are primed on the
Dillon 550.

Bayou52
03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
My favorite hand held priming tool is the RCBS Posi-Prime. It has been out of production for many years, but it works wonderfully and uses standard shell holders. See attached pic.

Also, the old style Lee hand held priming tools, the ones with the screw-in shell holders, is my second favorite priming tool.

Bayou

BCB
03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
I have used the Lee Auto Prime, the round one, for many many many years. I was wise enough to purchase replacement parts before that primer became discontinued. I like it...

I purchased a "grab bag" of reloading equipement some time back and it had the RCBS Hand Primer. It is a ********* as far as I am concerned--really disappointed with RCBS on this one. The primer is held and the primers slide into the pin, but the case is put in and it wants to slide out--a terrible explaination I just did!!! The priming pins fall out if you tip the tool over or when you might be putting the tool away. I put a piece of tape over the top so I don't accidently lose one of the pins. The shellholders fit down over a plastic tube (for lace of a better word). If the holder does not push to the bottom of the piece of plastic, the holder assembly won't slide into place--terrible. I use it rarely and I mean rarely...

The Lee is my ol' standby. When parts finally break and I have no replacements, oh well...

I am curious about the bench-mount RCBS though. How do you feed the primers--one at a time? Or a tube like on the old, maybe new too, RockChucker Press?...

My ol' thumb is getting Art-Ritus in it and the Hand Prime is beginning to hurt a bit...

Thanks...BCB

jrap
03-25-2015, 08:29 AM
I use the rcbs hand primer and it's the best one out there!

country gent
03-25-2015, 08:31 AM
I use the Hornady hand primer right now. It also uses standard shell holders and has very good feel. I bought one of the lees with the saftey set up that eperates primers from tray but it would drop an occasional primer out on the floor. I have a bench primer I made and the rcbs bench primer. I also like the lee ram prime set up

Skunk1
03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
I use the lee auto prime also (old round tray). Works good, 100 primers at a time. Got the new square tray one but have not used it. I have the Rcbs press primer. Had it up and running but seemed to be a little more in the way for me. I like to have a clear view of what's going on inside the press.

TNsailorman
03-25-2015, 08:55 AM
I use the same RCBS Posi-Prime tool that Bayou shows in his picture. Matter of fact, I just bought a second one so that I don't have to switch the primer stems back and forth between large and small primers. I also have one of the old screw in Lee hand primers but I don't use it much anymore. They work great but because of poor metal of the internal parts, they have a habit of breaking at the pivot point. I know, back in the old days I replaced the internal parts several times and they are no longer available. I like using the hand primers without a tray as I like to seat the primer, rotate is 180 degrees and seat it again. I can't even remember the last time I have had a primer failure to fire. james

r1kk1
03-25-2015, 09:05 AM
K&M deluxe primer seater with gauge and the COAX second but I've primed a ton of rounds using the 550 as part of the sequence.

Take care

r1kk1

ascast
03-25-2015, 09:29 AM
rifle - RCBS bench mount- he Rock Chucker would put them in sideways every now and then and I could not feel it happening. Sometimes upside down.
never happens with the bench mounted unit. ?
never had any mysterious hang fires or duds from greasy fingers either
pistol always as part of the press, either Lee pro-1000 or Star.

N4AUD
03-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Round tray Lee Autoprime, works great. It's getting worn though. I read on here that the new one isn't as good but I'm going to have to replace my old one sooner or later.

texassako
03-25-2015, 09:40 AM
The RCBS bench tool is hard to beat. I have a Vamco primer that does, but I have never seen another.

lightman
03-25-2015, 10:37 AM
I was always happy with using my Rockchucker to prime with. After we started having children I wanted a way to spend more time with the family. Now I sit in front of the TV and prime with a hand tool. I started with the original Lee tool and actually wore out a few of them. Now I use a Sinclair hand tool. Its a high quality expensive tool that does a good job. I'm happy enough with it that I bought another so as to have one set-up in both small and large primer sizes. When I'm using the Dillon I usually prime on it.

pertnear
03-25-2015, 10:43 AM
I've come full circle on priming. For many years I used Lee & RCBS hand primers. Now I uniform all my rifle primer pockets once & prime with a RCBS top prime die set to a fixed stop.

FWIW...

375supermag
03-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi...

I prime everything with the RCBS APS bench-mounted unit.
I have primed many thousands of cases with it with very few issues. I have the strip loader to press the primers in the strips...good thing too,as I have never seen pre-loaded primer strips for sale anywhere.

I may be getting a new progressive press in the near future, so most probably all my straight-wall handgun priming will be done on that in the future.

thegatman
03-25-2015, 11:11 AM
I use an RCBS automatic bench primer. It is really fast, you have a very good feel, it uses standard shell holders and you can see the primers in the tool before you seat them. That is kind of important if you've ever had a primer in upside down.
Works great for me. Use it all the time.

stormingnorm
03-25-2015, 01:10 PM
I use both the new lee and old Lee hand primer. I do not prime my cases until they have been trimmed to correct size and sized in first die. I can and do have many boxes of sorted by head stamp tried and sized cases ready to actually load when I feel the need. When I want to load all I need to do is figure out what boolit, weight, and what powder and powder weight. Believe or not that is the longest part of the whole process.

Alexn20
03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
I also prefer to use the RCBS automatic bench primer. It is hard to beat.

44Vaquero
03-25-2015, 03:19 PM
My favorite off press priming tool is still really on the press! The Lee Auto-Prime II.

opos
03-25-2015, 03:36 PM
I use the Lee "safety prime" that mounts on my Classic Cast press..(the "bird beak" unit with the round primer tray)...I also have used the old round tray Lee Auto prime (still got a couple from e bay buys)...I do my brass prep and then when all finished I prime and store ready to load brass for the day I want to charge and seat the bullets...just the way I do it...not effecient, not fast but works fine for me and with each "handling" of the brass I get another chance to inspect things.

BCB
03-25-2015, 04:10 PM
I use the rcbs hand primer and it's the best one out there!

Maybe mine is defective? Or I am defective?...

Will the priming pin fall out of yours if you turn it up-side-down?...

Do you ever have problems with the shellholders (RCBS is all I use as that is what is said to be used) seating down on the plastic sleeve so the shellholder will slide into the press? I have been advised that you might have to remove a bit of the plastic on the sleeve, near the base of it, to allow the shellholder to set down far enough to allow it to slide into the press...

If you don't, then I certainly must have a defective one--just my luck!!!...

Darn it...

Thanks...BCB

Rory McCanuck
03-26-2015, 12:53 AM
RCBS bench primer, with the tubes. Verrry nice.
Just picked up a Bonanza/Forster primer seater. I've played with it a bit, but it seems like a really nice tool. It might take a while to figure out and get smooth with; filling the "tube" is the slow part so far.

jcwit
03-26-2015, 09:59 AM
I have the old style Lee with the screw in shell holders for most of my needs, for the few that I do not I use the K & M priming tool.

BCB
03-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I also prefer to use the RCBS automatic bench primer. It is hard to beat.

I have pretty much out-grown my reloading bench! It is out of room for the RCBS automatic bench primer if I decide to get one...

My question: Can the handle be removed so it does not stick out over the bench? I simply have no place to mount it and let the handle in place. I looks like it might just be hold in place with a long bolt and nut?...

Thanks...BCB

Green Frog
03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
The Pope-style made by the late Jerry Simmons if I'm loading for my schuetzen rifle shooting, the early Lee tool with screw in shell holders or a 310 tool for most other things. I do have several others which can be applied to specific loading jobs, but mostly they stay on the shelf.

Froggie

GhostHawk
03-26-2015, 09:39 PM
I use the RCBS Universal hand priming tool. No shellholder's to change, just the pin from small to large.

My only complaint after a year of use and thousands of rounds is that I do not have 2.

sparky508
03-27-2015, 11:30 AM
I use the RCBS Universal hand priming tool. No shellholder's to change, just the pin from small to large.

My only complaint after a year of use and thousands of rounds is that I do not have 2.

I have 2 of them and love em, one set for large and one set for small primers. Pistol and trash .223 I prime on my LNL progressive.

gefiltephish
03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Hi...

I prime everything with the RCBS APS bench-mounted unit.
I have primed many thousands of cases with it with very few issues. I have the strip loader to press the primers in the strips...good thing too,as I have never seen pre-loaded primer strips for sale anywhere.

I may be getting a new progressive press in the near future, so most probably all my straight-wall handgun priming will be done on that in the future.

CCI primed strips are available at Midway and Powder Valley as well as many others I'm sure. Often available when nothing else is.

gefiltephish
03-27-2015, 07:57 PM
I mostly load for hand gun, so on the press is the usual method. The LNL-AP primes kinda so-so but it works well enough most of the time so I still use it. I use the forster vibraprime to load the tubes. Works great once ya figure out the correct angle-of-the-dangle to use.

The loadmaster is a priming disaster. Yeah, you *can* make it work, but jeeeeze. Besides, priming on the upstroke is such an UNwelcome experience.

Crunched a bunch of primers with the rockchucker and gave up quickly.

The LCT has been a breeze. Not quite perfect but I have no real complaints. The autoprime 2 looks really hokey, but it works surprisingly well. I wish it had square trays. So far the LCT has provided my best on-press experience.

I have 2 each of 2 diff types of the RCBS hand primers. The tray type and the strip type. I set them up for large and small. I like not having to fiddle with shell holders and also the square trays. I have no complaints about either type but by far the aps is my favorite. If I had money to burn I'd buy a pro 2000 just because I like the aps system. If I were asked why I prefer the aps, I'm afraid I couldn't really supply a definitive answer. I guess it just seems like a more positive and less fiddly delivery system. It's not affected by whichever way you happen to tip it, it just delivers every time.

I had one of the old Lee auto primes which broke handles, and I've got a girly-man grip. Mine just barely had enough travel to seat the primers flush. Another jeeeze. I gave it to my mother for loading rubber bullets.

Lastly, I have a Lee hand press which has a primer gadget. I think I tried it once but feeding primers one at a time, mostly dropping on the floor, looses it's appeal very very quickly. Good enough if you want to load a small handful of test rounds at the range I suppose. I'd rather just bring the aps hand primer.

I've never used a bench mounted system. Would like to try sometime.

Beebee
03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
I prime on my LNL but im looking at the rcbs bench mounted stup.

terryt
03-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi:

Thanks for all the reply's.

Terryt

Three44s
03-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Maybe mine is defective? Or I am defective?...

Will the priming pin fall out of yours if you turn it up-side-down?...

Do you ever have problems with the shellholders (RCBS is all I use as that is what is said to be used) seating down on the plastic sleeve so the shellholder will slide into the press? I have been advised that you might have to remove a bit of the plastic on the sleeve, near the base of it, to allow the shellholder to set down far enough to allow it to slide into the press...

If you don't, then I certainly must have a defective one--just my luck!!!...

Darn it...

Thanks...BCB

BCB,

I saw your first post on page 1 and this one as well ......... I'll see if I can help.

The pin falling out is just what it is ........ the pin will fall out ....... the only suggestion I have is to lay it on something between usage so the thing is always at least a little up hill.

The shell holder/plastic insert you are having trouble with is related to the version of shell holder you have ....... I like to have a shell holder in my priming tool as well as the press I am using at the same time ........ buy a new one and you'll see it's beveled on the under side to better fit the plastic parts of your hand seating tool where your older one you have now is not. Don't cut on the plastic as it will weaken it. You'll come to like a second shell holder and they are not that expensive.

In your earlier post you mentioned an issue with the cartridges falling out of the shell holder.

Here's how I do it: I like to turn the shell holder against the way I lean the tool. I lean the tool so the primers are gravity feeding onto the seating punch and have the open side of the shell holder facing the primer feed tray.

Hope this makes sense.

Now you also had a question on the RCBS bench priming tools ......... I won't go into the APS tools ...... I have no familiarity with them and others do ........ I have recently bought the "Standard" priming tool that has been out of production for many years ........ it's the one with a cam with a handle installed in it and a priming punch that rides the top of the cam up and down. I like this one as it always seemed it would give one the most authentic feel of the primers seating. It does not have a priming feed system ..... you have to seat them one at a time with your fingers.

I don't use my "Standard" model this way ........ I do my initial priming on my tray fed hand operated tool. Then I sort for primed cases that need more attention and move them to my new to me bench tool for more justice!

The other bench tool that's not an APS model is the Automatic Bench tool ........ it has a straight leverage system and a set screw you can engage to cause a definite stop point if you wish to employ it. AND most of all ......... it has a priming feed system.

Best regards

Three 44s

Rory McCanuck
03-28-2015, 03:18 AM
I have pretty much out-grown my reloading bench! It is out of room for the RCBS automatic bench primer if I decide to get one...

My question: Can the handle be removed so it does not stick out over the bench? I simply have no place to mount it and let the handle in place. I looks like it might just be hold in place with a long bolt and nut?...

Thanks...BCB
Yes, the bolt just threads into the frame.
I just finger tighten it, and remove it when I'm done.

robg
03-28-2015, 06:03 AM
2 round lee type 1 for large 1 for small.since 82 ive only broken 1 handle ,cheap cheerful & effective

W.R.Buchanan
03-28-2015, 08:49 PM
I have an original Lee Hand Primer which was my first one. An RCBS Universal Hand Primer which works well but makes my knuckles crack and pop. A Lyman Ram Prime which I have never used and I just bought a new RCBS Bench mounted Primer.

It is the best thing I have ever used bar none. Wanted one for along time and wish I would have bought one sooner.

I mounted it to a 6"x6" piece of 1/2" aluminum plate and I simply clamp it to the edge of my bench when in use and put it away when not.

Randy

BCB
03-29-2015, 10:06 AM
BCB,

I saw your first post on page 1 and this one as well ......... I'll see if I can help.

The pin falling out is just what it is ........ the pin will fall out ....... the only suggestion I have is to lay it on something between usage so the thing is always at least a little up hill.

The shell holder/plastic insert you are having trouble with is related to the version of shell holder you have ....... I like to have a shell holder in my priming tool as well as the press I am using at the same time ........ buy a new one and you'll see it's beveled on the under side to better fit the plastic parts of your hand seating tool where your older one you have now is not. Don't cut on the plastic as it will weaken it. You'll come to like a second shell holder and they are not that expensive.

In your earlier post you mentioned an issue with the cartridges falling out of the shell holder.

Here's how I do it: I like to turn the shell holder against the way I lean the tool. I lean the tool so the primers are gravity feeding onto the seating punch and have the open side of the shell holder facing the primer feed tray.

Hope this makes sense.

Now you also had a question on the RCBS bench priming tools ......... I won't go into the APS tools ...... I have no familiarity with them and others do ........ I have recently bought the "Standard" priming tool that has been out of production for many years ........ it's the one with a cam with a handle installed in it and a priming punch that rides the top of the cam up and down. I like this one as it always seemed it would give one the most authentic feel of the primers seating. It does not have a priming feed system ..... you have to seat them one at a time with your fingers.

I don't use my "Standard" model this way ........ I do my initial priming on my tray fed hand operated tool. Then I sort for primed cases that need more attention and move them to my new to me bench tool for more justice!

The other bench tool that's not an APS model is the Automatic Bench tool ........ it has a straight leverage system and a set screw you can engage to cause a definite stop point if you wish to employ it. AND most of all ......... it has a priming feed system.

Best regards

Three 44s

Thanks for the help Three44’s…

I will attempt to attach a pic of my RCBS Hand Primer…

In order to get gravity flow with the primers and not have to hold the case in place, it needs to be the way it is shown in the pic…
(Lee AutoPrime is set up the be ambidextrous and gravity flow with the primers and the shell goes into the holder so that it doesn’t have to be hand-held—these are all very good traits)

But, with it that way, it needs to be held with my left hand—not good there…
(Update: I did look at the hand primer again and I can use it with my right hand also--that is if the shellholder can be as shown in the pic--but it won't work that way--Read on!!!)

Also, the shell will not go into the holder anyhow with it turned that way so it really doesn’t matter…

I am using RCBS shellholders—some will go on the plastic insert, some will not. All have the beveled base on the shellholder…

This RCBS primer does work, but it is very clumsy to use and many times primers simply do not slide onto the seating pin. It seems the safety bar that slides when the hand primer is used doesn’t let the slot on it line-up properly…

And finally, since I purchased this priming tool in a grab bag purchase of many other reloading supplies, I don’t even know if it is together correctly! Although I do think it is…

If this is the way this RCBS priming tool works, Lee has certainly outdone RCBS—function and price both…

But, I do think I will order the RCBS Bench Priming tool—the one with the tubes…

Thanks all…BCB

blikseme300
03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
I really like the old style Lee hand primers but after having CTS surgery I could no longer use them. The RCBS Auto Priming Tool is what I switched to and use this almost exclusively.

Mal Paso
03-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I tried a tube style RCBS bench mount primer which seemed to fumble a couple primers as I finished the tube. It's the favorite of the benchrest shooters in my club so I got to try a NIB "backup".

I bought the RCBS APS system instead. I had 5000 APS CCI LP I bought during the shortage and saved the strips. The strip loader is much easier than loading tubes (manually) and an upside primer down is obvious.

I used a handheld primer for years. I think the bench mount units have better leverage and feel.

I have 2 revolvers with light firing pin strikes and this has helped get FTF down to zero.

abunaitoo
03-29-2015, 05:29 PM
I bought the RCBS APS when they first came out. Bench and hand. The bench one came with the strip loader.
I've been using them ever since then.
One problem I noticed was the little red plastic push rod guide kept on smashing. I used to buy them by the bag.
One day I forgot to put the guide in. Didn't notice any difference. Seems to work just as good without it. Never used another again.
Hand prime has a universal shell holder. So far it has fit every shell I've primed.
Bench prime uses normal shell holders.
Have it mounted on the small Lee single press.
Mostly use the bench prime. Easier on the hand.

RickF
03-29-2015, 07:06 PM
I just bought an RCBS APS bench primer a few days ago and so far I really like it, was looking to buy the RCBS Automatic bench primer but I got a good deal on the APS priming tool along with a ton of the strips so I thought due to the deal I'd give it a try and loading the strips wasn't as nearly as a pain as I thought it might be so it looks like the priming tool will work out just fine.

I do have a question regarding the APS Priming Tool though, is CCI primers the only primers that will fit the strips?

Mal Paso
03-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I do have a question regarding the APS Priming Tool though, is CCI primers the only primers that will fit the strips?

Any primers will work in the proper size strip. CCI is the only one to sell primers already loaded in the strips.

I reuse the Large Pistol strips that came with CCI primers to load Federal LP primers. Odd Federal doesn't offer primers in strips as they are a division of ATK just like CCI and RCBS.

RickF
03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Good deal, thanks Mal Paso.

Preacher Jim
03-31-2015, 12:20 PM
for my match rifles i use a 21st century hand tool. for everything else i use a rcbs hand primer or the rcbs bench primer either single or auto feed. on handgun my Hornady LnL or projector do a great job and it is 1 2 3 4 loaded round in the pan.

dragon813gt
04-01-2015, 05:30 PM
I have both styles of the new Lee hand primers. I believe the Ergo prime is the one I like better. Instead of using your thumb you use the other four fingers to work the lever. You have a better feel and more leverage this way. I prefer to prime on press w/ the Safety Prime. Once I figured out it's little quirks I haven't had any issues w/ it.

Ken in Iowa
04-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help Three44’s…

I will attempt to attach a pic of my RCBS Hand Primer…

In order to get gravity flow with the primers and not have to hold the case in place, it needs to be the way it is shown in the pic…
(Lee AutoPrime is set up the be ambidextrous and gravity flow with the primers and the shell goes into the holder so that it doesn’t have to be hand-held—these are all very good traits)

But, with it that way, it needs to be held with my left hand—not good there…
(Update: I did look at the hand primer again and I can use it with my right hand also--that is if the shellholder can be as shown in the pic--but it won't work that way--Read on!!!)

Also, the shell will not go into the holder anyhow with it turned that way so it really doesn’t matter…

I am using RCBS shellholders—some will go on the plastic insert, some will not. All have the beveled base on the shellholder…

This RCBS primer does work, but it is very clumsy to use and many times primers simply do not slide onto the seating pin. It seems the safety bar that slides when the hand primer is used doesn’t let the slot on it line-up properly…

And finally, since I purchased this priming tool in a grab bag purchase of many other reloading supplies, I don’t even know if it is together correctly! Although I do think it is…

If this is the way this RCBS priming tool works, Lee has certainly outdone RCBS—function and price both…

But, I do think I will order the RCBS Bench Priming tool—the one with the tubes…

Thanks all…BCB

Boy, you're not having good luck, are you BCB.

This is the RCBS tool that I use. Love it!

As for shell holders, some of the older RCBS ones will not work, nor will most other brands of shell holders. And yes, I use it with my left hand most of the time.

I have broken more LEE hand primers than I care to admit. When the last one broke, I bought the RCBS and never looked back. I have probably seated over 5000 so far.

If you want to unload that RCBS hand primer, I'll take it off your hands BCB.

Tackleberry41
04-05-2015, 10:27 AM
I mostly use my Lee auto prime, had to buy a few extra holders for it, and the tray lids are are held on w rubber bands. The little tension tabs broke off, doubt replacements would do any better long term. The rubber bands actually work better anyways. I bought some spare parts just in case.

I still have an old RCBS hand priming tool, one at a time. Problem came up when the small primer pin went bad, out of production no parts. So I only use now when just doing a few or for certain calibers (large primers obviously) you cant use in the Lee like my 577/450.

A friend gave me a lee press mounted set up, the ram prime w a tray, guess they dont sell that particular set up anymore. Did seem a bit of a headache the first time, and dont see the plastic parts lasting very long. It did work, but is faster I think to use the hand tool. And I can use the hand tool in the house.

Have only used the presses built in priming tool a few times.

melw
04-05-2015, 07:07 PM
I have ben useing the lee auto prime for a long time. I have a pro 1000 that I have disabled the priming system on and just hand prime. I have used a buddys RCBS hand primer but prefer the lee.
Mel W.

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Any primers will work in the proper size strip. CCI is the only one to sell primers already loaded in the strips.

I reuse the Large Pistol strips that came with CCI primers to load Federal LP primers. Odd Federal doesn't offer primers in strips as they are a division of ATK just like CCI and RCBS.

I once heard that the reason Federal doesn`t offer primed strips is the sensitive nature of Federal primers and using the ram seating motion resulted in primers being set off accidently.Robert

Mal Paso
04-09-2015, 12:14 AM
I once heard that the reason Federal doesn`t offer primed strips is the sensitive nature of Federal primers and using the ram seating motion resulted in primers being set off accidently.Robert

Since Federal won't release technical information it's hard to know. I think they create that impression with the huge primer boxes. I've loaded over 5,000 Federal Large Pistol Primers with APS and no problem. I do wear safety glasses. There is no warning about Federal in the RCBS instructions and they give you the adhesive backers to assemble 100s.

Maybe: "Too sensitive" was what federal division manager said to avoid another packaging line. Were selling everything we can make, who needs the headache. :-)

xvigauge
04-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I have used the Lee hand held priming tool and they work, but they break and/or wear out pretty fast. I bought an RCBS Universal hand priming tool and it works great. It is built much more solidly than the Lee and you don't have to change shell holders all the time.
xvigauge