PDA

View Full Version : Factory exchange: What would you do?

2ndAmendmentNut
03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
For a while I have had a clunker Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrel that doesn't get shot hardly at all. I acquired it cheap because it was pretty beat up and the finish was touched up badly with some cold blue type finish. The cylinder also had significant forward and backward play that allowed for it to come into contact with the forcing cone. Three endshake bearings later the old gun was up and functioning.

Recently I contacted Ruger's customer service about possibly repairing the gun properly and giving it a re-blue. They politely and promptly got back to me that they no longer service the Security Sixes but would be happy to receive the gun and exchange it for a new gun at a factory discount.

I really like the look of Ruger's 3" fixed sight variant of the GP-100 and am tempted by their offer to trade the old Security Six in.

What would you do? Has anyone traded an old gun in recently? If so how significant was the discount you received on the new one?

BK7saum
03-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Well let me put it this way. They had my ruger 22 hornet and wanted to keep mine and sell me a new one for $400 or $450. Since id just bought the other for $650, I really didn't want a $1050 22 hornet.

Now since your not into yours for very much, you might be able to stomach their discount.

BTW, they did end up giving me a new one after I turned their discount down a couple of times. All I wanted was my old hornet back, but there apparently were some issues I still don't understand.

timspawn
03-24-2015, 09:23 PM
They offered me a trade deal on Mini 14, but like BK7saum, I would have had way too much money in the new gun.

bob208
03-24-2015, 09:50 PM
if the gun shoots good keep it.

Bored1
03-24-2015, 09:58 PM
I haven't traded in any guns, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Seems that "trade in" value is also lower than the actual value of the item being traded in, at least this has been my experience. If I had to have a certain gun, I would personally start a "special fund" and save my pocket change until I could afford what I wanted. I would also keep checking in at the local gun stores, gunbroker, etc until I found what it was I had to have.

junkpile
03-24-2015, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't do it. I'd take it to someone with a good reputation for custom work on these and have it repaired first. Not to mention the fact that I'm not real impressed with Ruger's current method of bluing.

HeavyMetal
03-24-2015, 11:55 PM
My question is how can they "No Longer Service" a product they made???

If this was mine I'd call someone like Clark and see what they'd charge to bring it back, I'll bet they even have few take off barrels from back in the day when they were converting these to PPC guns with the big bull barrel on them.

Even if Ruger offered a free GP100 for your old Security Six I think I'd turn it down, LOL!

Heck I still have a Colt 1917 service that I'm tinkering with!

Artful
03-25-2015, 12:52 AM
My question is how can they "No Longer Service" a product they made???

No more parts in inventory to repair the model - same thing has happened to the AC556 machineguns - very limited supply - I had to have a dealer friend buy a LEO only model and strip it for parts. Expensive way to get 'em.

contender1
03-25-2015, 09:13 AM
As many have said, the "trade in" value towards what you'd get isn't very fair. They have to look at a used, possibly unserviceable gun, and offer a new gun where the value is much higher. I wouldn't do the trade in. Kinda like taking a worn out car back to the manufacturer, and hoping to get a new one. There will be a big difference in values.
Next, Heavy Metal, just like all manufacturers, they have models no longer offered, and as such do not have parts. Just like Ford doesn't service a Model A. Any company that plans to stay in business can not keep an infinite inventory of parts for long discontinued items. Considering the "Six" series of DA Rugers was dropped in 1988, old inventory of parts is long used up. The GP series was introduced in 1986, so it's almost 30 years old & still in production.

I'd keep the old gun, and look for somebody who could possibly restore it to a much more serviceable condition.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Thank you gentlemen! Really good advice above. I will follow it and look for someone to repair what I have.

bhn22
03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Good plan! It's not a tough gun to work on, and nearly any competent revolver 'smith should be able to repair it.

FergusonTO35
03-25-2015, 10:40 AM
If its a good shooter I would just sell it as is. There are always people looking for Sixes, and prices on them just keep going up.

RG1911
03-25-2015, 12:11 PM
A thought on refinishing your Security Six.

I inherited an old Single Six from my brother. Somewhere along the line it had gotten pretty rusty, beat up, and so on. On the other hand, the bore and cylinder were fine.

I took it to my favorite 'smith and had it cerakoted a matt dark gray/black. This even filled in all the pits. Does it look original? Heck no. But it looks good and is back on the range.

I think it cost me $50. Note that there is a method to ensure a good finish, so you would want to take it to a 'smith who knows how to do it well.

Richard

RKJ
03-25-2015, 09:28 PM
If you want to refinish it yourself, take a look at Brownells Oxpho Blue. It does a great job with very little fuss.