PDA

View Full Version : Harper's ferry armory 1858

R.Ph. 380
03-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Museum Quality, Looks brand new, Brother-In Law has been offered rifle for $8500.00 Is this a good price? Good Investment?

Bill

JonnyReb
03-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Is a prize one way or another but whether an 8k prize is hard to say without pics and papers. I'd have an investment like that one checked out by an expert before even considering plunking that amount down on it. Find it at a fleamarket for 500.00...um yeah. 8000.00 plus with idea of authenticity ..um..no. Think i'd have it checked out, with the knowledge that it may be worth twice that... any idea which model? Have the advancing primer device? All original? 1st model maybe?? :?: Go for it if your a Gambler but if so offer 4k and see the reply...just to have fun with it :)

koger
03-24-2015, 07:51 PM
I have seen a ton of good ML pistol and rifle fakes over the years. One was so good, only way I figured it out when appraising it, was removed a screw and it was metric!

waksupi
03-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I would definitely have an expert appraiser look at it.

varsity07840
03-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Museum Quality, Looks brand new, Brother-In Law has been offered rifle for $8500.00 Is this a good price? Good Investment?

Bill
Is it a Model 1855 with an 1858 date stamp? There were no Model 1858s.

Duane

fouronesix
03-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Might be very nice and would be rare in that high condition if all original. Likely an M8155 with the Maynard tape priming mechanism. Harper's Ferry guns can command higher prices. There were a whole bunch of slight variations in the M1855s among the national armories and the contractors especially during that 1858-9 period. Some variations are considered more rare or desirable than others so command higher prices. It could be correctly priced- as the market for those is pretty strong and could easily fall in the 3000-9000+ range. Should have a Civil War arms expert look at it for opinion- in that higher price range. Most of the M1855s were pressed into service during the Civil War so legitimate, high condition specimens are rare.

Southron
03-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Well, any talented but shady gunsmith can buy all the replica parts to put together a "Mint Condition" Harpers Ferry M1855. Most of the high quality, custom made replicas (intended for use in N-SSA competition and clearly made as replicas) go for around $1,200.00-$1,400.00 Matter of fact, most of the repro Maynard Lockplates for the M1855 are dated "1858."

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=86

We need pictures and your relative should definitely have the rifle inspected by a qualified appraiser before he breaks out his check book.

If your relative wishes to invest in a quality Civil Civil artifact, I know this used car dealer nearby that has Stonewall Jackson's jeep for sale. Stonewall drove it ONLY to Sunday Battles-so it is a low mileage vehicle.

varsity07840
03-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Well, any talented but shady gunsmith can buy all the replica parts to put together a "Mint Condition" Harpers Ferry M1855. Most of the high quality, custom made replicas (intended for use in N-SSA competition and clearly made as replicas) go for around $1,200.00-$1,400.00 Matter of fact, most of the repro Maynard Lockplates for the M1855 are dated "1858."

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=86

We need pictures and your relative should definitely have the rifle inspected by a qualified appraiser before he breaks out his check book.

If your relative wishes to invest in a quality Civil Civil artifact, I know this used car dealer nearby that has Stonewall Jackson's jeep for sale. Stonewall drove it ONLY to Sunday Battles-so it is a low mileage vehicle.
Their lock plates have a non functiional tape door. Not exactly museum quality.

Duane

fouronesix
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't completely understand the lengthy post about the replicas either. Telling the difference between a 150 year old gun and a defarbed repro should be the easiest part. Anyone with any knowledge about old guns should be able to tell the difference.

Actually verifying original finish and/or non-refinished parts and making sure all the parts are original and as they should be is a bit trickier- especially in that class and value of gun. That's where a person knowledgeable about those would be important. But, a period correct re-fit for the run up to or during the Civil War may not detract. And, any markings or provenance to Confederate use greatly enhances value.

Southron
03-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Dear Duane:

Actually there is one machinist that does turn out repro M1855 lock plates with functional doors. The owner of S & S has also told me that in the near future he is going to carry M1855 lock plates with functional doors.

Gunsmith John Zimmerman of Harpers Ferry actually sells a replica M1855 with a fully functioning replica M1855 lock...just scroll down the page to see it:

http://harpersferrycivilwarguns.com/services

While Zimmerman "de-farbs" replica pistols, rifles and rifle-muskets they are clearly marked to indicate that they are replicas in inconspicuous places on the arm.

http://harpersferrycivilwarguns.com/services

Many of his customers are N-SSA Skirmishers as the N-SSA's National Range, Fort Shenandoah is located not all that far away from Fort Shenandoah.

www.n-ssa.org/

carbine
03-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Everything Southron said is correct. In addition, due to the cost and the item offered, you may want to ask for documentation of provenance as the world of Original Muskets is fraught with counterfeits.