PDA

View Full Version : Lee 300BO Dies

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Been reading on other site and reviews that the Lee's resizing die is not up to par with other calibers. Has anyone had problems with their FL die from Lee? I mistakenly ordered a SB FL die from Midway. I really don't want to ship back and wait, since it was my error not Midway's. Was thinking of just ordering the Lee set since it was cheaper for the whole set than just one die from RCBS! I can sell what dies I don't want and still be about even.

Also, since I am only shooting 300BO in a single shot pistol, at this time, would it make since to get a neck only sizer as well after the initial form firing?

Jerry

Omega
03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
I am using a Lee set and have had no real issues so far. But since I do form my own out of 5.56 I got a Sheridan cutout case gauge which helps cull the ones that just didn't form right. On a couple, I formed, turned and formed again after not passing the gauge test and all was well. As for neck only I don't see why not since they will be fire formed by then.

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Omega,
How do you get your brass cut and square? You use a jig? Was thinking of forming my own since I want to build up a AR in 300BO this winter as a project. I will need a steady supply of brass.

Jerry

Omega
03-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Yea, I got one of the harbor freight saws and a jig; it does a great job and rather quickly too. If you are going to do a few hundred that is the way to go, you can convert as many as you want then replace as needed. I did an initial 1k, as I lose or they go bad Ill replace. So far only loses, all of them are still good to reload but I don't load to max either. If all you need is a couple of hundred, then maybe ordering from GRUMPA will be a best bet for you.

GRUMPA
03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Jerry, if you want a link for brass just reply on the thread. I can get them from a .gov site and the brass prices out at around .048ea shipped for the 1x fired Mil brass. I run the 300BO through 4 different dies so they are the same from part 1 to 10K. I would get a Sheridan gauge or the L.E.Wilson gauge. Some and not all dies will form the 300BO correctly, generally it takes a person removing some material from the base of the die.

On the LEE expander mine gave out after 5K pieces and I replaced it with a 30cal RCBS threaded expander. Just don't think your going to bring everything in spec with 1 pull of the handle, there's a thing called spring back so plan on doing it 2 maybe 3 times per case.

xvigauge
03-24-2015, 05:31 PM
One problem with Lee dies is that they have no resale value. Expect to get about half of what you paid for them.
xvigauge

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 05:37 PM
GRUMPY,
That starting to sound like allot of work.. I think one overtime a year will keep me and you in enough brass and good graces. LOL

Jerry

dragon813gt
03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
One problem with Lee dies is that they have no resale value. Expect to get about half of what you paid for them.
xvigauge

How does this have any bearing on the thread? I don't think most people buy dies thinking of resale value. They buy them to use. I could not care less what their value is to someone else because they are invaluable to me.

I've had no issues w/ my set. I did make the mistake of ordering the neck sizing set first. Forgot I needed a FL sizer to form them. They work fine in a buddies AR. I'm waiting for Ruger's American Ranch to be released so I have a firearm of my own in 300BO. I do need to buy a few thousand pieces of military brass so I have a good supply for the foreseeable future.

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 05:52 PM
How does this have any bearing on the thread? I don't think most people buy dies thinking of resale value. They buy them to use. I could not care less what their value is to someone else because they are invaluable to me.

I've had no issues w/ my set. I did make the mistake of ordering the neck sizing set first. Forgot I needed a FL sizer to form them. They work fine in a buddies AR. I'm waiting for Ruger's American Ranch to be released so I have a firearm of my own in 300BO. I do need to buy a few thousand pieces of military brass so I have a good supply for the foreseeable future.

I think he stated that because I stated I would just sell the dies out of the LEE that I did not need, like the bullet seater and the FCD. I have a Hornady seating die and a LEE FCD already.

And I understand that. But it's been my experiance that when I do sell a Lee die I normally get about 75% of what I bought it for. They are cheap already.

Anyways, I just ordered the set. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jerry

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-24-2015, 11:17 PM
I've never lost money on a single die from Lee I've ever bought, with the caveat I use them a while for reloading before selling. In some cases, I wish I had KEPT my Lee dies, as the dies I bought to replace them, much more expensive, were NOT as good.

jmorris
03-25-2015, 02:19 AM
I use this machine to cut 223 brass for 300 blk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXz97yWp2w

Then I form it with the tool head on the left using a Lee then a GSI die.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20141231_101016_603-1_zps04d5d37a.jpg

My Lee die didn't push the shoulder back far enough for use with the Dillon shell plate, before bottoming out.

kfarm
03-26-2015, 09:53 PM
My problem with the Lee dies is that they are too short to work in my hornady press', if they had another half inch of thread I could leave the jam but on. But generally not had any problems out of the dies.

jmorris
03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
On the Dillon you can put the nut on the bottom, you might be out of luck on the LNL.

If you are using the factory Lee nut try flipping it over and get rid of the O-ring, that will get you .050" or so.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
I used the RCBS SB die and was able to form in one stroke. All cases passed the test in the Sheridan gauge. Doesn't hurt to extend the dwell time at the top of the stroke for 2-3 seconds when the brass is in the die. I am shooting my original 1k I formed but plan on using my Lee FL die to resize them all, bumping the shoulder back .002, if needed.

r1kk1
03-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Doesn't hurt to extend the dwell time at the top of the stroke for 2-3 seconds when the brass is in the die.

Ive done this forming cases where I shove the shoulder back or neck down.

Take care

r1kk1

Moonie
03-27-2015, 11:02 AM
I've not had any trouble with mine, forming or just resizing fired brass for 2 different uppers.

MT Chambers
03-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Someone mentioned getting rid of other makes of dies and keeping the Lees....If this is even possible it is opposite to my experience, I'm to the point where all my dies are Redding, Forster, or C-H.

Omega
03-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Someone mentioned getting rid of other makes of dies and keeping the Lees....If this is even possible it is opposite to my experience, I'm to the point where all my dies are Redding, Forster, or C-H.If I happened to have both I would resell the other brand to get another caliber. My Lee's are doing fine so I would not look for another set, but at the time I started reloading for 300Blk I would of bought any brand that was available. I got lucky and found a set of Lee's in stock and at less than half of some other brand.
They do have quirks like you cant have any flex in the shell holder, single press or turret is better, and the 'forming' die must be setup properly or it wont go down far enough, but polishing the shell holder a bit overcomes that if you just can't get the instructions. But after you get them setup right they form those cases to spec, and as I said, at half the price. I do have some RCBS dies that I purchased used for my .44 Mag, and 30/06, but I almost paid what a set of Lee's would of cost new. Do I recommend Lee for precision bench shooters, no but for hunters and plinkers I sure would.

xvigauge
03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Someone mentioned getting rid of other makes of dies and keeping the Lees....If this is even possible it is opposite to my experience, I'm to the point where all my dies are Redding, Forster, or C-H.

I agree, but I would add RCBS and Hornady into that mix.
xvigauge

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-29-2015, 12:21 PM
I use the dies that work best for me. I have used all the major brands of dies and to say that one manufacturer is the best "across the board" is silly. I use Lee, CH, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady (and Pacific), and Redding dies. Some cartridges I load for use 3 different manufacturers for the "set". For example, in 243 Winchester I use a Lyman FL sizer die, Lee collet neck sizer, and a Redding competition seater die. You just have to use what works for you!

People that bash one brand of dies and encourages others to purchase a certain brand is childish.

762 shooter
03-29-2015, 01:02 PM
I have the Lee 3 die set. I cut my Lake City brass a little proud with the little Harbor Freight chop saw, size, then trim to length with a Lee case trim in the drill. I purchased the die set last Fall. I like the factory crimp die.

I have the Wilson case gauge and have had no problems.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-29-2015, 01:19 PM
My problem with the Lee dies is that they are too short to work in my hornady press', if they had another half inch of thread I could leave the jam but on. But generally not had any problems out of the dies. flip the lock ring upside down and it'll work fine. Dillon dies don't come with a set screw or o-ring and they work fine. So do the Lees and a Hornady LnL. Worked for me for ten years until I sold my LnL.

kweidner
03-29-2015, 01:28 PM
To answer the original question yes you do need FL size on any breakopen type firearm. Otherwise if case stretches and you have to slam it home you will get terrible stringing. The proper way would be to size case so it is flush with end of bbl. Mike bellm makes a rig to help get exactly .000 from bbl end. It really makes a difference in the accuracy dept.

Lefty Red
03-29-2015, 07:41 PM
I went ahead and sent to RCBS SB dies back and got the Pacesetter Die set and the Neck Sizing Only Die from LEE. Funny, still had money left over and picked up 100 rounds of bullets! LOL

Thanks for all the input.

Jerry

Lefty Red
04-01-2015, 08:20 PM
I go the Pacesetter and Collet dies today. All looks great!
Jerry

GhostHawk
04-01-2015, 09:20 PM
The only problems I've heard of were when people didn't use the shellholder from the die set, but used a shell holder from the Lee box set. Which apparently is a few inches shorter, resulting in shoulder not being in quite the right place.

But, I have no personal knowledge of this, this could be correct or incorrect.
It is in effect internet rumor.

Ordinarily I wouldn't mention it.
So if it was me, (and it will be in another week) I'd use the shell holder that comes with the die, and measure twice, cut once, and measure again, and form the brass and measure again.

I also found a modest amount of .300 BO brass cleaned, formed, primed, ready to go for what seems a reasonable price at Amazon.
Enough to get me started loading a few anyway.

Lefty Red
04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
The only problems I've heard of were when people didn't use the shellholder from the die set, but used a shell holder from the Lee box set. Which apparently is a few inches shorter, resulting in shoulder not being in quite the right place.

So if it was me, (and it will be in another week) I'd use the shell holder that comes with the die, and measure twice, cut once, and measure again, and form the brass and measure again.

I also found a modest amount of .300 BO brass cleaned, formed, primed, ready to go for what seems a reasonable price at Amazon.

I got some from GRUMPA and it is great looking stuff!
Jerry

Tackleberry41
04-05-2015, 10:13 AM

I think thats simply the variations allowed in machining the parts. I was having issues with 8mm mauser being tight to close the bolt. I measured the different shell holders, they vary alot in overall thickness, not from caliber to caliber, they are all the same thickness, just some a little more or less. Had I several of the proper shell holder, probably could have found a thinner one, so I lathed a little off one, moved the shoulder a little, problem solved. I have used Lee shell holders with RCBS and other brand dies, or RCBS shell holders with Lee dies, not had any issues. They all seemed to have used some sense and found a common spec to use, kind of surprising, one would have expected requiring use of their special shell holders to lock you into buying them.

A friend just got a 300BO rifle, he was looking at the RCBS small base set. Told him to get the Lee set, comes with the factory crimp as a bonus. If the Lee FL isnt enough he can always get the small base later, and just use the Lee die for forming.

As for resale value of dies, not something I have ever considered. Cant think of any dies I have ever sold. Even when I got rid of a gun and had no need for a set of dies, still kept them. Pulled them back out when I got another gun in that caliber. Even the extra dies I dont use can come in handy, can always cut them up for another purpose.