PDA

View Full Version : What I got out of my 22 cal dies

u.p. north
03-24-2015, 03:55 PM
While waiting for materials and dies to come back from heat treat figured I would make up some 22 cal die sets. I needed to play with different weights in my ar starting from 57 up to possibly around 70 grains. Got excellent groups at 100 yards with 62 grainers 2 touching and the other three within 3/4" of them. Shot out of a rest trying to see the full potential. Well let's hear your input. These were made on a classic cast press from 22lr jackets and pure lead,seated and then point formed and also used my auto eject system and adjustable core mold. Thanks U.P. North

andyt53
03-24-2015, 04:20 PM
I think you have a keeper there! Wish I could get into swaging for my ARs. The price of the dies is where I say nope. Too much money for the dies.

Utah Shooter
03-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Nice work UP North

I think you have a keeper there! Wish I could get into swaging for my ARs. The price of the dies is where I say nope. Too much money for the dies.

Look around. Not all of the manufacturers are charging over 1200 a set.

andyt53
03-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Nice work UP North

Look around. Not all of the manufacturers are charging over 1200 a set.

Would you be kind enough to point a person in the right direction? I would love the full set up from BT, but I cant swing that kind of cash for a good amount of time.

Bzcraig
03-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Very nice rounds there, look better than factory.

Andy, I'm in the same boat as you. As a tinkerer I would love to make my own jacketed bullets for .223 and .30 but for what I would spend to do that I can buy a mountains worth of bullets. A lot more expensive to get into swaging than reloading or casting.

andyt53
03-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I've easily already made back my money for my 40 cal swage dies. And would make the money back from 223 swage dies. If I had tooling, I would attempt making my own. I like UP Norths bullets. Look good with very acceptable accuracy. Gotta love it! And that's what I would love to get out of mine, if I had a set.

R.Ph. 380
03-24-2015, 10:59 PM
While waiting for materials and dies to come back from heat treat figured I would make up some 22 cal die sets. I needed to play with different weights in my ar starting from 57 up to possibly around 70 grains. Got excellent groups at 100 yards with 62 grainers 2 touching and the other three within 3/4" of them. Shot out of a rest trying to see the full potential. Well let's hear your input. These were made on a classic cast press from 22lr jackets and pure lead,seated and then point formed and also used my auto eject system and adjustable core mold. Thanks U.P. North
Tim those are beautiful bullets. Anyone should jump at those dies.What press do they work with.

Bill

u.p. north
03-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Tim those are beautiful bullets. Anyone should jump at those dies.What press do they work with.

Bill

Bill, I designed them to work on the Lee Classic Cast press. The only modification made to the press is I changed the ram top and made a adapter to accept screw in style punches. I also made a auto ejector to make full use of the ram going down. The auto ejector does make life easier.
Thank You,
U.P. North

hardcase54
03-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Good job looking good, u.p.north. I might give you a call in 2 weeks.

u.p. north
03-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Okay guys how many of you would be interested in doing kind of a group buy on a complete set up? I have a few things I need to finish on current customers orders. I am thinking I will be completely caught up in two weeks or less. Please p.m. me interest( serious only need apply ) if you have a question that you think will help others ask here.
The complete kit would include:
Adjustable Core Mold
Derimming Die
Trim die
Auto Ejector
Adapter for Lee Classic Cast Press
Core swage die
Core seat die
Point form die
Cost would be between $1400-$1500 depending on how many show interest. U.P. North