PDA

View Full Version : Interesting map. Arkansas shines.

MBTcustom
03-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Found this interesting map while doing searches for the most pro gun states. Interesting the county just south of mine stands out.
I live and work in Faulkner. Pulaski county is one of the top gun owning places in the nation.
Nice!!!!
http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/second-amendment-2/map-shows-americas-most-heavily-armed-counties

texassako
03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
They don't say where the data came from and it is a percentage of the population? There are some lower population rural counties in Texas where I did not think there was a household without a firearm(ie. 100%), and similar counties in other states.

kfarm
03-24-2015, 10:10 PM
I live in SE Pulaski county, I'm doing my part.

Duckiller
03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
In the real world there is NO county that is 100% of anything.

MBTcustom
03-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Spoken like someone who has never been to Pulaski county Arkansas.
LOL!
:kidding:

starmac
03-25-2015, 01:21 AM

Are you 100% sure about that. I remember reading 35 years or so ago, about a county in south Texas that only had 2 residents and they both had voted republican in an election. lol If I was a betting man I would put money on the fact they both owned some kind of firearm too. lol

Ofcourse, some Caifornians might not consider rural Texas as part of the real world. lol

tomme boy
03-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Nice Tim. Seriously thinking of moving south. Arkansas is very high on the list. Have family in the NW part of the state. And in the SE of OK. They have been trying to get us to move for about 10 years now.

Harter66
03-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Well that's pretty depressing for Nevada. I did session a map yesterday that showed that there were guns for 4/5 of the total population. I wonder how they arrived at the counts ?

That was a great post ,but I deleted the best part for being over thought. Can't have my curiosity fueling a search.......

shooter93
03-25-2015, 05:55 PM
And you have to ask yourself.....if someone contacted you with a survey and asked if you owned guns or how many....would you answer......none?

dragon813gt
03-25-2015, 06:21 PM
The data is percentage of the population. For instance the three counties in PA are as such; Franklin 152,000, Westmoreland 362,400, Armstrong 68,000.

I picked the county that I live in and two right next door; Berks 400,000, Montgomery 812,000, Chester 510,000. If I were a betting man I'd say there are more gun owners by me than in the ones on the map.

I also question how the data was collected? Was it CCW permits? Was it hunting licenses? Neither of those is a true representation of firearm ownership. Was it cold calls? I don't tell anyone that I own firearms and have had to tell friends to stop telling others about it.

I'm not trying to knock the counties that are on the map. It just seems odd to me. How Potter County PA isn't listed is beyond me. They tout it as "hunter's paradise" and w/ a population of 17,500 I have a hard time believing less than 50% of the population owns firearms. Maybe I'm just looking at the numbers to much :laugh:

Idz
03-25-2015, 06:31 PM
The self-reported data are always suspect. The much touted "gun ownership declining" 2014 GSS survey says only 22% of US residents personally own one or more guns. But other gun surveys claim the USA is evil because the per capita gun ownership is 90 guns/100 residents. If both surveys are correct that means each gun owner has an average of 409 guns. I don't know anybody who has a collection that large. I think that since the current administration cannot be trusted to follow the Constitution (or even the law) that gun owners are reluctant to self report anything to the surveyors.

MBTcustom
03-25-2015, 07:08 PM
I just thought it was an interesting map. Such things are an opinion based loosely on data points that are loosely representative of reality. It can be nothing else.
I just thought it was nice that Arkansas got a red star on our report card. LOL!

dragon813gt
03-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Any report like this is always a good thing. I have a habit of digging into the numbers which just puts doubt into my mind. After looking up county populations I need to move to one w/ less people :laugh:

leeggen
03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Goodsteel you must be living right, seems you shine in alot of areas.
Wondering if the % is based on the fact that one person owns 5 guns and the 4 neighbors own none? Of course statistics can be made to say what one wants it to be. It is a very interesting map though. Keep up the good work.
CD