PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the traditions kentucky 50 flinter?

GoodOlBoy
03-24-2015, 06:46 AM
having to sell off a few guns (first ones I have ever sold so it's hurtin some) to help pay on my medical bills. Wife said to ease the pain I could take up to half the money from the first few sales for a gun. Probably going to be my very first muzzleloader. The less I can spend the more can go towards bills. I always wanted a hawken gun, BUT I have seen even what the lyman great plains can run, and I think that's burnin a bit too much of it up (not her words mine)

Anyway so I was looking at a Traditions Kentucky right hand flintlock 50. I want something with around that 1-60 to 1-66 twist for patched round ball. It would be for deer and other east Texas game, target shooting, as well as maybe someday getting to go piddle around a rendezvous.

So i was wondering about opinions on them. East Texas isn't big black powder country so anything I get I have to mail order. Caps are a myth in this area but we have flint. Powder I can order, lead I got. So that leaves the front stuffer itself.

thanks in advance for the advice

Richard

texaswoodworker
03-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Subscribed, because I'm kind of interested in getting a flintlock too. :D

fastdadio
03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
I have a Traditions percussion Hawkin 58. Bought it back in the 80's. I've shot it alot and loved every pull of the trigger. The metal finish and fit are equal in quality to Thompson Center products. I realize your inquiring about flint locks but I can't see Traditions producing such a fine rifle and then installing a crappy lock and frizzen. Based on my long term ownership experience, I say get it.

ejcrist
03-25-2015, 10:24 PM
I have two Pedersoli flints (32 and 45) and I'm guessing they're similar in quality. Mine have served me well hunting and target shooting in PA and AZ. A couple of years ago I built a TVM Late Lancaster kit in 40 and now I'm working on a Chambers Christians Spring 58 kit and a Track of the Wolf Jaeger in 62. Since putting together the first kit I learned how much better quality the components are compared to the Pedersoli's so I'm kinda spoiled now. Regardless, I still shoot the Pedersoli's and they're more than up to the job, so I'd say go ahead and get the Traditions. I know you're wanting to keep the cost down but if you think you might want a kit you might want to check out Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. They have some great kits that are a few dollars more than an off-the-shelf Lyman, but you can assemble a really fine shooting rifle that'll last you a lifetime and then some. They're very easy to put together with hand tools you probably already have. If you want to know more send me a PM and we'll chat.

Gene

GoodOlBoy
03-26-2015, 02:07 AM
Hope this thread is helpful to somebody, and I thank you for the responses but after the bombshell of bills today... I have to laugh or cry, but not a dime is going to anything BUT bills. Anyway not whining, it is what it is.

Thanks guys

Richard

mooman76
03-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Flinters are a whole nother animal. A mediocre caplock can shoot great and have no issues but if the mediocre lock on a flintlock is not made properly it can give someone a whole mess of trouble, especially someone new to flint that doesn't know how to fix the problems. Some of the older (cheaper)ones would work ify or poorly and give a new shoot so much disgust they would give up on BP all together. I would hope they are better now a days and Traditions is pretty much bottom line. Not saying anything against them either way, I know they put out some good caplocks but before buying a flinter I would make real sure they are a good one.

Denny303
03-27-2015, 11:41 AM
have a lot of experience with older traditions and cva stuff, maybe they have improved since the 1990's early 2000s models, but as moonman said caplocks are are a breed apart. one flint traditions I worked on had a frizzen spring so big and strong it wouldent let the the hammer throw the frizzen, let alone spark. these locks, with soft steel, loose tolerances, ill fitted parts, and over/under powered springs made for premature wear and binding.

So these issues made the chances of these guns goin off less than 50%. couple that with normal flint lock issues like dull flints, moisture, and dirty/bad/soft/wore out frizzens its no wonder a lot of folks aint into muzzleloading.

buy what you can afford, lyman and TC's are good. but if you get a great deal on a traditions or cva, you can upgrade the key part, the lock: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/759/1 and then have a good, reliable, and most importantly...an enjoyable experience when you shoot it.

Good luck hope this helps a lil bit......Denny