PDA

View Full Version : 190gr gas check rn

tdoyka
03-24-2015, 02:27 AM
this week(i wish) i'm going to start shooting the 165gr(174gr) ranch dogs in the 30-40 krag. rel7 looks good, but i'll have h4198 and varget just in case. i'm new to this and casting boolits will take about 2 or 3 years to do. a stroke really threw the time clock out the window and what else do i have to do:bigsmyl2:.

anyway, i was looking on the computer and this boolit showed up. http://www.airtacticsaz.com/legacy-lbt-premium-hunting-bullets.html i emailed the guy and he said he would send a sample pack to me. i gave him my address and .311" for the boolits i could use. its a 190gr gas check round nose with a bhn around 16-18. i plan on using them for deer within 100-125 yards. i don't know how fast they will be going, but i'm guessing around 1800-1900fps.

i know the flat nose boolits will take a deer out without shooting the shoulder. i'm not real sure, what will the round nose do if you shoot behind the shoulder? if you shoot on the shoulder?

thanks!!!

richhodg66
03-24-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm sure it'll shoot well, but I'd want a FP for hunting. Have you looked into the RCBS 180 grain FP? I haven't shot a lot of them yet, but it seems promising and the weight is over 190 with my mold.

That Ranchdog 165 is a good hunting bullet. Went through about three feet of deer (quartering away shot) for me a couple of years ago and put him down pretty fast, though it didn't leave any blood trail to speak of.