PDA

View Full Version : 35 whelen loads

siamese4570
03-23-2015, 10:29 PM
I've got some 225 sierra bullets and H4895. Checked the Nosler online load data and the Hodgons online date and there's some difference in them. Nosler had 57 grains max and Hodgons had 55. I tried 55 and 56 and the 56 seemed a bit warm, but it shot lights out (1.5" group). Does anybody have a Sierra manual to use as a tie breaker. Don't want to strain anything.
siamese4570

Yodogsandman
03-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Can you post photos of the fired cases that you feel are warm loads?

Can you do a search and look for photos that show excessive pressure in cases?

Have you measured across the case web on a mild load and one you feel is "warm"?

What do your primers show?

I would not want to gander a guess that would get you hurt. Your rifle will tell you what is and isn't safe. Only You can decide what you feel is safe in your rifle.

When I was a total nube at reloading, I asked an experienced co-worker about my cases and he told me they were perfectly safe. I was only half way up from the starting load to the maximum load per my reloading manual. Reloading manuals can be wrong! Later I found that I was a grain over any other manuals recommended max load for that powder. The primers were flattened out and the firing pin indention was starting to crest like a volcano. I chose NOT to exceed that load and I'm still here with both eyes and all my fingers. I changed powders and found the perfect load. I still hate him!

I commend you for being safe and asking but, be informed. This was all prior to the internet and you should still do the same thing. Read all available data on your load and make informed decisions in loading for your own safety.

You could just ask the Sierra Bulletsmiths at...

http://www.sierrabullets.com/ask-sierra/index.cfm

polara426sh
03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Sierra doesn't list H4895, but it lists IMR 4895.
Starting load 50.0 Max load 55.5 with the 225 gr using Remington brass and Rem 9 1/2 primers with a length of 3.250"

siamese4570
03-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks! Siamese4570