PDA

View Full Version : case gage caliber 30 luger

beppe
03-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Hello folks !!!!
I'd have a case gage gage 30 luger, but in Italy does not exist, can someone send it to me in Italian? I pay with paypal.
thanks for your help!!![smilie=s:

EDG
03-23-2015, 10:16 PM
L E Wilson is the chief manufacturer of case gauges but they do not list the .30 Luger.

You might try the Hornady case gauge that attaches to a set of calipers. Since you are metric you should use your standard metric calipers with the Hornady tool. The SAAMI drawings dimension both the chamber and the ammunition. It defines the headspace of the chamber and the matching dimension on the cartridge. SAAMI defines headspace using a datum circle on the chamber shoulder. You will need to use a 9.017 mm bushing (.355") if you can machine one for the datum circle. If not the Hornady set has a .350 and .330 bushings that you can use as is or modify to a more suitable dimension. However if you use the bushings as is you have to recalculate the dimensions to the gauge ring. For that you will need a the drawings and some trigonometry. I can provide you with a spreadsheet to help you with the trigonometry. You fill in the blanks from the CIP drawing. You will have to understand the American gauge ring system used by SAAMI but it is pretty easy to learn. SAAMI and the CIP drawings are dimensioned and toleranced differently but they usually arrive at the same exact design. The SAAMI drawing has both inch and mm dimensions.

If you just want a drop in gauge just find an old barrel with a good chamber to check your ammo.

beppe
03-24-2015, 04:08 AM
EDG thanks for the explanation !