PDA

View Full Version : Things my 357 Max have taught me

JohnH
10-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Check the dang scope mounts.

1) A softer alloy may well shoot better than you think.....
I've been shooting ww+1.6% tin (1 pound of tin to 60 pounds of WW) and it shoots ok, but the 20:1 I made up shoots measureably better, even when the scope was rattling around. I just finished a 40 shot string using charges of 4198 running from 19 grains to 22 grains, there is no leading what ever, and those shots were on top of another 90 rounds from yesterday and this morning. I've run heavy charges of 1680 too. No cleaning, just load and shoot.

2) A small charge of powder may be cheap to shoot, it can also give lousy groups that drive ya nuts.....
There is no rep[lacement for a load that shoots to the rifle/shooters ability. Even if is costs twice as much to shoot and uses 40% more lead, seeing little bitty groups on the paper is priceless.

3) If a load/bullet is showing promise, don't give up.....
While it is pretty standard to develop a load by working up, I will as often shot a powder that is slow for the cartridge and just dump a case full in seat a bullet on it and bang. This pm I was looking for a hunting load. 19 grains of 4198 strung vertically. Didn't fill the avaible powder space either, so I upped it to 20 grains. Group shrank. Hmmmm. Up to 21, group shrank again. Up to 22, group shrank again, but had 1st shot fliers. Back off to 21.5 grains...Nirvana. Not just small groups, but one hole groups (50 yards) Saw the same thing with surp 107. 7.2 grians shoots but........ 9 grains tosses them bullets into itty bitty groups.

4) If a bullet is not showing promise.....
Go shoot another one. The Lee 358-158-RF shoots ok from this rifle, but in two years of shooting it, ok is all it has given. It will never be a reliable head shooter on tree rats. Now some might not call a load that will do that on demand a plinking round. I do. If I can't hit a squirrel in the head at 50 yards on demand, it ain't worth shootin, esspecially from a bench.

5) I still don't like the added cost of gas checks.....
but the RCBS 35-200 shoots so darn well, that if a gas check is what it takes, a gas check it will get.

The groups I have seen today are better than I have dreamed the rifle would shoot. First group of the morning went into a hole .575" tall and .47" wide The worst groups are better than some of the best I was seeing even a year ago. I don't know when the scope rail loosened, it may have been something occuring over a long period of time, may have happened over the last 2 months, no idea. But I do appreciate you guys listening while I was trying to figure it out. Every little change I have made from lube to alloy, to loading density to tightening screws has made this rifel a better shooter than when I first brought it home. My wife says she may hunt this year, it'll be with this rifle, 21.5 grains of 4198, the RCBS 35-200, CCI 400 primers and the thoughts of good friends I have made here. I look forward to giving back some of what I've been given. Thanks, JohnH

David R
10-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I have been trying to get my enfield to shoot at 200 yards. Well, I did it and got to know the rifle REAL WELL. I am sure I have burned up over 1,000 rounds in this gun just this summer. I can tell because I just threw out 3 empty 30 cal gas check boxes. Not only did I find some good loads, I know what it likes and doesn't like.

Same for my 22-250. Today I was sighting it at 200 yards with lead. I already knew it drops 8" from 100 yards. It was 1.5" high at 100, so I wound it up 3" on the scope and walla! right in the black at 200 yards. Tomorrow I shoot it in a 300 yard prone match. Tonight I pour a bunch of boolits the bruceb method, weigh out 50, weigh 50 charges, and load for tomorows match. Again, I shot over a thousand rounds through this gun since last year and I know the gun well.

Cast boolit shooting has made me a better shot.

David

No I am not going to win tomorrow, it could end up with a tie, perfect scores decided by an X count. I am not THAT good, neither are my boolits. I was getting about 3" plus a couple of wild fliers at 200. That is why I will weigh the boolits for the match tomorrow.