PDA

View Full Version : First pan lube attempt

kalison
03-23-2015, 05:31 AM
Straight out of the pan. Little harder to do than I expected. I think I may need to add more wax (using the Darr method), felt just a bit on the soft side.

Yodogsandman
03-23-2015, 06:27 PM
I can't see your attachment but, did you try putting it in the freezer to stiffen it up a bit?

kalison
03-23-2015, 07:06 PM
I can't see your attachment but, did you try putting it in the freezer to stiffen it up a bit?

Fixed the photo.

I will try that suggestion. I left it outside, since its still "cool" out. Left it out in 50 degree garage for about 4 hours before I attempted to push them out of the wax. I will try the freezer next time to see if that helps.

Yodogsandman
03-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Those look great! Nice first "attempt"!

kalison
03-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Those look great! Nice first "attempt"!

Thanks!

I was pleased at how nicely they popped out and without much extra wax all over, I haven't touched these up or cleaned them. I had to cull a few because of the aforementioned softness. Even now, I don't know if the wax will be too soft to load and handle much. I left them out to see if they stiffen up. I could pop them in the freezer for a few to see how that goes.

The wife was not so please about some of the wax I spilled on the counter though.

WRideout
03-28-2015, 07:37 AM
for my 38 wc boolits, I made a cake cutter out of a 35 Rem case. At first, it was so hard to use that I actually blistered my fingers pushing it in. Then I tried cutting them out while the wax was still warm, and that was far easier. I used to lube all the grooves, but found out from this forum that you really only need to lube the bottom couple. Now that is all I do.

Wayne

goofyoldfart
04-03-2015, 08:23 PM
If the lube seems too soft, try using Ben's LL on them after pan lubing. I had a bunch of .357's that had some soft lube on them (they had been sitting in my drawer about 15 years and 4 moves) and Ben's LL worked perfectly. They feel slippery and they dried hard. really cool. God Bless to you and yours.

Goofy

P.S. those look realllyyy good for a first attempt. way to go.:redneck:

michiganmike
04-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Very well done! They look a lot better than my 1st and 2nd attempts at pan lubing. I too made a "cake cutter" from a fired cartridge. That is where the similarity ends. I was trying to lube 7mm bullets. They are long in comparison to the diameter of the base. Some tipped over into the lube. It was just an ugly, greasy mess.

The 2nd attempt was my last attempt. Ben's Liquid Lube and tumble lubing remains my default method. I use a pair of disposable blue nitrite gloves when tumbling and lining up on wax paper for drying. Works well for me.

Later I did buy a used Lyman model 45 lube sizer. With Ben's Red lube it works well. It is certainly less messy than the pan lubing. But having done comparison tests at the range, I have yet to see any advantage in the lube sizer lubed bullets over the bullets tumble lubed with BLL.