View Full Version : Diy caliber specific powder checker

firebrick43
03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I have the rcbs powder checker die that I use on my 650 dillon. It has it's pluses and minus but is overall a decent die. I don't like it tall height(necessary for rifle rounds but not pistol) the centering plastic insert in the bottom gets chewed up with regularity, and they white cap is vague in its reference with the oring unless you draw a line on it. But the line wears off and the rod rotates making it a pain at time. Also while I can see a .1 difference in powder drops on it you have to be at eye level.

So I made my own last night.
The main body was a new but damage 7/8-14 bolt so no threading needed. Main section is 1.5" long and the raised tit on top is .490" in diameter and .25" tall

the center while is drilled and reamed to 3/16".

The indicator rod and head was a 5/16 by 2" bolt. Main shank is slightly below 3/16. Head is 1/8 thick and .480 in diameter. Shank is 1.9" long.

The body is bored .500 by 1.35 deep. These dimensions fit a 45 colt well. Edge is rounded over. Foot is .400 diameter by .400 long and drilled 3/16 a 1/4" deep. Round and polish face well. The foot is installed with a few drops of green locktite.

Completed checker die mounted and 5.6 grains of trail boss under it

Here is why I made the top dimensions what they were. I had some pacific and per powder dies on hand. I need to turn some custom ones and can share the same raw material for making the Gage's. This pacific 516 fits perfect and is nearly the perfect hight for 5.6 grains of trail boss. I will turn one just a little shorter when I get a bar of 7/8 aluminum.

Here is just .2 grains more(5.8) easy to see variations at any angle now

Simulated squib load.

Now I have 3 basic 45 colt loads. Three different sleeves clearly labeled will allow 5 second changes to match these loads. Yes, I still double check on a scale.

Cherokee
03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Neat idea, well done

Handloader109
03-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Good work, but if I needed to keep my eye on this, I'd rather be looking in the brass for powder. I've the Dillon audible and I don't trust it either......just sayin

chsparkman
03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
This would be great for bottle neck cases.

firebrick43
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Good work, but if I needed to keep my eye on this, I'd rather be looking in the brass for powder. I've the Dillon audible and I don't trust it either......just sayin

Well it certainly doesn't keep you from looking in the case. In fact the rcbs forced me to set level with the machine. This one allows me to stand over it.

But it fact is how can your eye see .2 grain difference down inside a case? Mine can't. Sure it can see squib and double charges but while my dillon powder measure has never had a hick up yet, I have caught small pieces of corn cob media.

A fellow CAS that shoot mouse fart loads (common debate at a shoot is if 22 shorts are more powerful than his loads) started sticking bullets in his pistols. It was a cold November shoot and certainly if he had loaded a little hotter there would have been no issue. For him the shoot was over. But when he pulled the bullets later he found some with half a grain less but not significant number of them. Why did his powder measure halve issues, I don't know but looking down into the 38 special cases didn't catch it.

CHSparkman, I will probably be making a 30/06 version soon as I am getting a garand soon and really need to set up a 30/06 head on the dillon.