PDA

View Full Version : question about lube and size kit from Lee

usmc0811
03-22-2015, 05:00 PM
I am about to purchase the lube and size kit from Lee. The kit comes with the Alox and the container that the bullets get pushed into and cost $18.27 from midsouth shoother. This kit will be for the .358 diameter, I also want to buy the resizer for the .451 an .401 diameter but want to save a few bucks by not purchasing it as a kit since I will not be needing the container that the bullets push up into for every one of them, I only need one that I can swap out and use for all the other calibers. The problem is I cant find just the sizer by itself from Lee it only comes in a kit, Do they not sell them by themselves with no container and Alox for cheaper?

Omega
03-22-2015, 05:06 PM
They do sell seperate parts but not sure you would save any. The die body alone sells for $20: http://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/lube-and-sizing-kit/.401-bullet-lube-siz-kit-parts/

Yodogsandman
03-22-2015, 05:57 PM
NOE is going to make a push-thru sizer die with different caliber bushings to accomplish just that. Here's a link to the discussion...

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,647.0.html

usmc0811
03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
They do sell seperate parts but not sure you would save any. The die body alone sells for $20: http://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/lube-and-sizing-kit/.401-bullet-lube-siz-kit-parts/

that's crazy, well I guess I will just buy 3 separate kits and have extra containers laying around, thanks.

SciFiJim
03-23-2015, 12:24 AM
that's crazy, well I guess I will just buy 3 separate kits and have extra containers laying around, thanks.
That's the way everyone has done it for years. One of the benefits of that method is that the container makes a great case to keep the die and push rod in.

Gtek
03-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Do you not get a bottle of Liquid Alox also? That is about twelve to thirteen bucks your paying for die, rod, red plastic container. Just keep telling yourself reloading is cheaper and enjoy the ride.

GhostHawk
03-23-2015, 07:29 AM
Hey those little bottles of Alox come in handy too!
Check out Ben's Liquid Lube!

dudel
03-23-2015, 08:39 AM
That's the way everyone has done it for years. One of the benefits of that method is that the container makes a great case to keep the die and push rod in.

I ended up using a Lee die box (4 push throughs per box). Much easier to store and sort through. I kept a few of the capture bins; but I've got a shelf full of Alox bottles.

If you really want just the push through die alone, Buckshot (on this forum) will make you one (even one in a custom size). His quality is better than Lee's; and his sizers include a boolit so you can be comfortable that the size marked on the die is correct. Buckshot is my first choice if I need a custom push through die.

It's still about $20; but you won't have to worry about the container or another bottle of Alox.

usmc0811
03-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just going to have extra containers laying around, I'm sure I will find a use for them.

kfarm
03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
My only problem with the sizing dies is the push rod for the bullets, they are a tad short. Got a lathe now and make my own long enough to completely push thru a bullet.

mdi
03-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Well, you could always throw away the container. I have a couple on my bench that come in handy; upside down for a pencil/pen holder, temporary brass storage while reloading, and if clean, a custom iced tea cup. I keep my sizing dies in a Lee turret and store all the turrets together. I have only thought about "short" rods mebbe 3 seconds as the bullets in the die just push the bullets ahead of them through...

Jupiter7
03-23-2015, 12:06 PM
NOE is going to make a push-thru sizer die with different caliber bushings to accomplish just that. Here's a link to the discussion...

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,647.0.html

If I was about to buy sizers, I'd wait for this. Best news I've heard!

bedbugbilly
03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
I have probably a half dozen or so of the Lee sizers - all came in the red box. You sort of just get used to having to store the boxes or toss them. If you don't use the Alox, there are plenty on here that use it so you won't have a problem getting rid of it.

I like the Lee sizers and as far as the comment on the push rod being short - they are. If you are sizing though, the next boolit will push it through. When I'm done sizing, I have a short piece of 1/4 wood dowel I keep handy - I just insert it in to the die from the bottom, raise the ram and push rod and push the last boils up through the die with the dowel.

The NOE sizers with the bushings look interesting and would certainly cut down on storage. They produce good products and would certainly be worth taking a hard look at.

dudel
03-23-2015, 12:42 PM
I like the Lee sizers and as far as the comment on the push rod being short - they are. If you are sizing though, the next boolit will push it through. When I'm done sizing, I have a short piece of 1/4 wood dowel I keep handy - I just insert it in to the die from the bottom, raise the ram and push rod and push the last boils up through the die with the dowel.

+1 a dowel solves the problem nicely.

trixter
03-24-2015, 01:19 PM
+1 a dowel solves the problem nicely.

Now there in a very clever idea. Iron sharpens iron. Thank you