PDA

View Full Version : Mosin scope mount?

1911cherry
03-22-2015, 04:46 PM
I am looking to scope a short barreled Mosin for hunting with. I have tried a couple different mounts that I would not recommend to anyone, has anyone here used a drill and tap receiver mount? Ati and Rock Solid seem to have a similar style mount, anyone used any like these? Pros and cons?

CHeatermk3
03-22-2015, 05:26 PM
I've used both the scout mount from ATI and the reciever mount from ATI too. The scout setup is iffy at best--I put one on an M44 and my son killed a deer with it but the next year it had loosened up. I should have used some better lock-tite I guess. The main difficulty I had was getting the axis of the scope mount parallel to the bore's axis.

The reciever mount with the two screw holes I'm using on my M39 was in place when I bought the rifle 3 yrs ago. It's solid but if I do another rifle I'll go with the rock solid mount for the additional solidity the third mounting hole offers.

On a round-reciever Mosin the red star, which is a side-mount system that uses 3 holes looks like it'd do well as long as you could get it on with the centerline of the one-piece mount aligned with the CL of the bore.

Remiel
03-22-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a rock solid and an ATI, gave the ATI to dad cause it make loading rounds difficult, it seems to be better used with the stock that has the detachable mag, The rock solid one leaves more room to load and has 3 mounting points, Haven t installed it yet but it seems better made than the AIT and i have seen nothing but good reviews on it, Look up Iraqvetren1888 on youtube he has built several MN rifles using the rock solid mount

LAGS
03-23-2015, 12:43 AM
With the ATI mount.
I found the best way to keep them from loosening up was to Glass or Epoxy bed the scope mount to fit the top of the receiver once you have drilled and tapped your holes.
Put the release agent on the receiver only, and the Epoxy will mold the bottom of the scope base to fit perfect to your receiver.
Then be sure to use locktite ( Blue ) on the attaching screws.
The ATI mount is designed to fit both the round and Hex receivers.
So, if you mold it to fit whichever receiver you have, it has less chance of moving because of limited contact points.
It is a cheap Fix that makes the ATI more desireable.
I have done over a dozen of them this way, and they finnaly will stay tight.

leebuilder
03-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Good idea Lags, most of the problem with the said mounts is the preinstalled slop. I set up a buddy with the old two piece detachable weaver mount and rings, forget the number. Could not get Rock soild up here so ended up making my own. Its alittle high, but it is for a russian rifle, overbuilt and a bit ugly.
side view
rear veiw, with safety mod and new bolt handle.

LAGS
03-23-2015, 10:53 PM
I use JB Weld to Epoxy bed most scope bases to my rifles.
But the Mosin Nagants vary so much, it only makes sense to bed Any Mount to the receiver, even the Rock Solid.
Epoxy bedding is a good idea on any scope base to the receiver.
If your base already fits perfectly, the epoxy just squeeses out, and no harm no foul.
But if there was any fitting issue, then you will have a base Perfectly molded to fit that rifle.
Epoxy bedding can also be used to Raise a Base to correct or give you a better Verticle alignment or adjustment
Epoxy bedding can also be used to correct some Horizontal allignment issues, like where you have to have the scope adjustment turned all the way to one direction and you have run out of adjustment, by Canting or leaning one base or the other.
I have had to do that on several Bubba'ed Mausers, where the holes were drilled and tapped not in true alignment to the bore.
You Cant one base one way, and if needed, Cant the other base in the opposite direction then Lap the rings.

Garyshome
03-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Brass stacker with a LER scope. Solid!

CHeatermk3
03-23-2015, 11:37 PM
I wonder if a person could drill and tap a blind hole in the rear sight base, and screw the ATI scout base down thru a mounting-type hole in the base itself, like there are for mounting a weaver-type base to a normal D&T'd reciever. I can't remember what's directly beneath the rear sight on a russian 91-30 or m44--you might wind up tapping into the barrel. I should go look...

It appears that you'd be D&T-ing the sight base..ought to be enough metal there for a few threads. Might be just epoxy bedding the mount would be enough but together with a screw holding the base down it ought to be really solid.

Leebilder--I like your safety mod and bolt handle-what did you use for the new handle?
I don't weld but it sure would be great to re-locate the handle so it'd be behind the reciever--there isn't much room to attach the handle on the bolt body and you'd need to inlet the reciever; but that'd allow closing the open space in the reciever that the handle passes thru and then you could close-mount a reciever sight like a williams or redfield, or use a standard type mount like a weaver. I saw pix of one that someone had done this to somewhere on the web...

LAGS
03-24-2015, 12:16 AM
@ CHeatermk3
I did a scout mount on a 91/30 where I removed the rear sight from the barrel, and then used the dovetail flat on the barrel.
I drilled and tapped it with 6-48 screws 4 turns into the flat.
I used a piece of an old Flat bottom Weaver Base made for a model 336 marlin 30-30.
I then used Weaver rings and mounted a Red Dot sight out on the barrel.
But I think the OP is looking for something he can buy and install himself, and not have to visit a gunsmith.
If you want to use a receiver sight on a MN, then look at how one is installed on a 28-76 target rifle.
I think the bolt handle is attached lower INTO the lug on the bolt handle and the right side of the receiver is cut lower so the bolt handle is not passing Thru the slot in the top of the receiver.
I have contimplated doing that modification so I can build a scope mount lower or like you said, use a receiver sight.

leebuilder
03-24-2015, 06:59 AM
I never would of thought of bedding a mount, i my small mind i would make a shim or a do-hicky to take up the slack. With my experience now i will keep it on the back burner, got a bit of steel bed, and new knowlage, thanks.
Cheatermk3, the bolt handle is made from an old chisel, annelled it so i could turn it. I cut the original handle off with the intent of not cutting the reciver for operation. I have done a few like this,,, and i file the bolt body with a round file to accept the new bolt handle at the proper angle out and back, for fit. Then file the v's for the weld, weld and grind, sand and polish untill it looks pretty. The safety is just a piece of plate welded to the cocking piece so i can work it with cold hands, realy i shound only have to use it once. And more info i can give up let me know.
If you can a high walled reciever is much easier to work with.
Mosins have been modifed for years, seen many mods, some are real neat some are bad. Got a chance to hold and inspect a 6.5 Russian target rifle based on the Mosin, that rearward bolt handle mod is cool.

Tackleberry41
03-24-2015, 08:25 AM
I bought 2 mosins that came with the ATI mounts, they hadn't been done yet. I added a 3rd hole in the front, I can see why ATI doesn't, those rear holes are pretty easy, just drill thru and tap with the standard tap provided. That front one is over the barrel, average bubba would ruin the rifle. Just watch your depth, and I ground down a tap to thread to the bottom, get it started with a standard tap. And you do need to bed the mount, the round receiver its barely touching on the 2 sides, and would come loose really quick. Its a solid mount this way, the the slots provided are a bit worthless to fit anything but a specific unknown scope, so you will have to do some customization.

pull the trigger
03-28-2015, 08:58 AM
I think a red dot would be easy enuff to mount on the rear sight mount. I want to try it and also on a savage 340

pull the trigger
04-02-2015, 06:24 AM
I was also just wondering of anyone ever used a mini14 or M1 Garand scope mount on a Mosin. Dont know if they are high enough.

opos
04-02-2015, 07:16 AM
I had great luck with an SK mount..make sure to order the correct one for your model..they are a cinch to install and work great...a bit pricy but better than just playing with one after another like I did till I found it....Don't let the appearance "fool you" as it looks like one of the cheap Chinese mounts but it is not...it has a super strong locking mechanism that contacts and locks into the "stock" rear sight base and really locks the whole thing together...there may be a youtube of installing one as well.