PDA

View Full Version : Lee's new Trimmer tool and dies

Geezer in NH
03-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Bought some from our sponsor Titan Reloading, got the caliber dies I shoot and the hand crank and power crank.

Used the first die and the hand turner The 30/30 cases I trimmed as per directions came out dead on for length and 50 cases took about 30 minutes. The mouths were also chamfered in and out. Sweet!!!!!!!

W.R.Buchanan
03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Geez: Pics of the completed cases and the tools please.

Randy

MT Chambers
03-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Please bring back the "Zip trim".

bangerjim
03-25-2015, 11:18 AM
I have a full set (all cal's I shot) of the Lee power trim thing with the handle and it works GREAT. I will not be using my lathe-style horizontal trimmer any time soon!

Fast, accurate (if you set it up right!), and clean. The all-in-one clean/trim/chamfer action I really like.

Pictures of the product are on Lee's website.

banger-j

kfarm
03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Got one for 300 blackout and its a neat little tool. I'd hate to do very much with it tho. Got mine just to trim brass while working up a load and leave the rcbs motorized trimmer alone.

C. Latch
03-26-2015, 10:04 PM
I got one for 30-30, 6.8SPC, and .45 Colt.

I also got the other type that Lee makes - the one with the shaft that goes through the case in order to bottom out at the case head and stop the cutter at the right cutting length - for my 6.5 brass, since they don't make the first type in that caliber. It works great. Picked one up in 30-06 last week.

By the time I get all the different calibers, I'll be further into this thing, money-wise, than buying a conventional trimmer, but I honestly like the way the lee trimmers work. They suit my purposes well.

Moonie
03-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Be sure to clean them out regularly or you can have issues with lengths. I use one for my 300 BO brass, gotta keep it clean.

RobsTV
03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Bought the Lee 90670 power adaptor for future use with 300Blk (90689), but had a bunch of M1 30 carbine (90365) brass that needed done. The hand crank took forever, but this new powered adaptor had me knocking out a piece in less than 10 seconds. Had almost 200 trimmed in 30 minutes, without pains. Toss the handle/crank and stick with 3 or 4 seconds of drill power.

http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90670.jpg

brettb75
04-06-2015, 05:48 AM
do you have this tool set up with the optional adapter for use with am automatic screwdriver or is the quoted speed with the hand crank tool that comes with the trim kit

brettb75
04-06-2015, 05:54 AM
I have the old model Lyman 45 sizer and I love it, except for the fact that I alos wind up putting lube into the crimp groove if I want to size all of the front driving band. If anyone can help me remedy this it would be greatly appreciated. Also I know the newer lyman sizing dies will fit this sizer. Are there any other brands that will fit as well and maybe not lube crimp groove. Thanks for any help. I may be in the wrong section for this question, if so please let me know.

RobsTV
04-06-2015, 07:10 AM
do you have this tool set up with the optional adapter for use with am automatic screwdriver or is the quoted speed with the hand crank tool that comes with the trim kit

There are two kits. The original with hand crank, and the new power trim kit, which includes drill/screwdriver adaptor instead of crank (complete power trim kit shown in photo above). Otherwise both kits the same and work with existing trim dies. Used the new power kit with hand drill on top of press to finish up 30 carbine brass at those speeds. Will never use hand crank method again.

bangerjim
04-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Hancrank takes me only a couple seconds of cranking per case......it's called EXERCISE!

GhostHawk
04-06-2015, 12:01 PM
My only problem with the new system is that you have to buy a 9$ dollar die for EACH caliber you want to do.

Where with the old system using a center pin in the primer hole you could get each caliber for under 2$.

Not so bad if you have the system and just need to add one here or there. But it would have cost me over 70$ to setup to trim.
So I stayed with the old system, bought 2 cutters, one that fits directly in my half inch power drill, and the one with the ball handle.
All told 7 calibers, for the new system with only the hand spinner would have been near 80$ I think I paid 35$ for everything with 3 sets, 2 cutters and a power adapter.

Is it as nice? No, but it does work, and works fine.
Mostly I've been using it to true up cases converted from .223 brass to 7.62x25 tok.
My only real problem is I don't like the shell holder base, drill seems to spin it right open.
But a padded small vise grips works great.

EDG
04-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Would this trimmer work in the power mode for say trimming .300 of case neck off after forming a 7.65 Mauser from a .30-06?

Case Stuffer
04-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Hancrank takes me only a couple seconds of cranking per case......it's called EXERCISE!
Seems EXERCISE is out of Fashion for many and Speed is King.
My new Lee Deluxe Trimmer with hand crank should be here today. I have been using the simple Lee case length one but I have a couple of thousand once fired LC .223 / 5.56 case to trim and these seem to run between 1.755 to 1.775" and my almost 70 year old hands get sore if I do to much firm gripping . I figure turning the crank will be easier, force wise than working the loading press handle and provide some much needed exercise at the same time.

Edit / update: Well I used the Lee Deluxe Quick Trim ( hand crank version) to trim 250 .223 cases today and while it works great I was wrong about needing the exercise so I modified it to use a cordless screwdriver to provide the driving force.

1hole
04-18-2015, 11:53 PM
I have the old model Lyman 45 sizer and I love it, except for the fact that I alos wind up putting lube into the crimp groove if I want to size all of the front driving band. If anyone can help me remedy this it would be greatly appreciated. Also I know the newer lyman sizing dies will fit this sizer. Are there any other brands that will fit as well and maybe not lube crimp groove. Thanks for any help. I may be in the wrong section for this question, if so please let me know.

The old Lyman 45 is still a very good lubrasizer if it hasn't been abused and bent.

You should easily be able to adjust the length of what you size and only lube what you want to at the same time. You're going down a tad to far. The down stop is adjusted by a nut on the center punch ("I" die) stop guide. If you're getting bullet lube under the bullet base you're not holding the size lever down quite hard enough to make a base seal or you're cranking on the lube wrench too hard, or both.

You need to know that it's not necessary to fill every lube groove completely if you're using a good lube. You can check for that by firing several rounds and looking at your muzzle; if you have a distinct waxy 'star' pattern from the lands you have more than enough lube. And I don't know of any commercial lube that isn't good but any of the old NRA 50/50 beeswax and Alox soft mixes are probably the best over all, IMHO.

RCBS lubra-sizer dies fit the 45 but they cost more, for no benefit that I can see.

Good luck!

steelworker
04-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Aint nobody got time for that! lol

blixen
04-19-2015, 12:26 PM
EDG, I wondered the same thing because my laborious trimming is making Argy and 7.7 japanese brass out of 30-06 and making 300 Sav brass out of .308. Answer seems to be NO, at least until Lee offers the new trimming dies in those calibers. http://www.titanreloading.com/quick-trim/rifle-quick-trim-dies

i like the old Lee setup, except the base on the brass keeps slipping out of the holder, if you're trimming significant length. Makes me a little crazy.

DLCTEX
04-19-2015, 04:26 PM
I got Buckshot to make me a length guage for the Lee trimmer' older type, for 257 Wby. I'm sure he could make them for your 7.7 Jap and 300 Sav. use the shell holder in a cordless drill and make quick work of trimming those cases.

Ranger 7
04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I have been running the Lee Deluxe Trimmer for two weeks now and it is a great improvement over the horizontal trimmers!
( My horizontal trimmer will now be a paper weight) As I only reload four calibers, the cost is minimal, effort saved, great.

3006guns
04-20-2015, 06:40 PM
I have an RCBS horizontal trimmer, complete with collets and what I like about it is that I can "custom" trim the length. In other words find the shortest case (still within spec) and trim the others to that length.

I'm always on the lookout for new gizmos that might be better though.

Is the Lee adjustable in such a fashion or is it set to a SAMMI spec of the ideal length and there's no adjustment?

Edit: Never mind. I should have checked the Lee site first-it's pre set to SAMMI specs. If they'd just make the upper assembly adjustable to some extent (say, within .020 max) I'd probably buy one.

xacex
04-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Replace the ball in the lee trimmer with a 1/4" bearing, and it seems to do a better job with the chamfer/deburr. I like it for conversion 300 blk brass from 5.56.

Case Stuffer
04-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Is the Lee adjustable in such a fashion or is it set to a SAMMI spec of the ideal length and there's no adjustment?

Yes the Quick Trim is adjustable. The black nut / ring at the top ,right below the handle is an adjustment with click detents . Turned hard CW is SAMMI mininum ,I have only trimmed .223 but a couple or three clicks CCW went from 1.750 to 1.745. I really like it but have decided that I only will be doing 50 or so once fired LC brass per day unless I get serious about adding power to it. Brass which is 1.1750 to 1.760 only takes 10 turns or so to get it down to 1.745 but much of the once fired LC brass I have is closer to 1.770 and takes around 40 turns on the crank..

Added: Adjustment has 10 clicks and each one is approx. 0.001"

As an experiment I remover the springs and 1/4 steel ball so as to use only the length cutter without any inside or outside champering As I expected it cu real fast as in 0.025 trimed in only 10 turns so the real issue is the brass trimmings wedging between the champering blades and the housing.

3006guns
04-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Yes the Quick Trim is adjustable. The black nut / ring at the top ,right below the handle is an adjustment with click detents . Turned hard CW is SAMMI mininum ,I have only trimmed .223 but a couple or three clicks CCW went from 1.750 to 1.745. I really like it but have decided that I only will be doing 50 or so once fired LC brass per day unless I get serious about adding power to it. Brass which is 1.1750 to 1.760 only takes 10 turns or so to get it down to 1.745 but much of the once fired LC brass I have is closer to 1.770 and takes around 40 turns on the crank..

Added: Adjustment has 10 clicks and each one is approx. 0.001"

As an experiment I remover the springs and 1/4 steel ball so as to use only the length cutter without any inside or outside champering As I expected it cu real fast as in 0.025 trimed in only 10 turns so the real issue is the brass trimmings wedging between the champering blades and the housing.

Thanks Case Stuffer........the Lee catalog made no mention of adjustments that I could see. I may have to buy one just to try it out as I have an old Pacific trimmer that works on the same principle and rather like it. The Pacific is fixed however, no adjustments.

Whiterabbit
04-21-2015, 07:09 PM
I have an RCBS horizontal trimmer, complete with collets and what I like about it is that I can "custom" trim the length. In other words find the shortest case (still within spec) and trim the others to that length.

I'm always on the lookout for new gizmos that might be better though.

Edit: Never mind. I should have checked the Lee site first-it's pre set to SAMMI specs. If they'd just make the upper assembly adjustable to some extent (say, within .020 max) I'd probably buy one.

If you are clever every LEE non adjustable tool becomes adjustable.

3006guns
04-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Good timing.........I got a headache last night which usually means an idea is about to be born......

Could someone take a minute and measure the shaft of the Lee trimmer with a micrometer or dial caliper? If it's the same as my Pacific I may have half the tool already! The Pacific has a handle crank that can be adjusted at least an inch in and out, so you can get more or less leverage. Now, if it just happens to fit in the Lee die bodies..............:)

Case Stuffer
04-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Shaft dia. 0.558
Trim Die I.D. 0.562

3006guns
04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Thank you!

(five minute recess while I take measurements)

Okay, I just checked the Pacific and the dimensions are all .001" larger. Now, allowing for differences in our two measuring instruments I'll bet that Lee copied the Pacific and that their dies will work with my cutter. I'm going to order a die and see.

Tackleberry41
04-29-2015, 11:48 AM
I looked at the new Lee trimmer other day. Problem I saw was buying the dies, get expensive pretty quick for multiple calibers, and they don't even make them for alot of the ones I want. And saw plenty of reviews saying it has to be cleaned out alot to keep lengths consistent.