PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better Dillon indexing sprocket for the 550b?

Billairgun
03-22-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm tired of having a deep bruise on my thumb after loading three to five hundred rounds because of how sharp and pointed the sprocket is. I've seen upgrade kits with a sprocket and bearing for sale , are these any different or can they be used as throwing stars also?

Kevin Rohrer
03-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Wear one of those little, rubber thumb gloves like bank tellers wear?

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Is the shellate bolt and ball greased? The shellplates on my 550s are snug, but turn very easily. Of course, it probably helps I have heavily callused hands.

Love Life
03-22-2015, 03:59 PM
How tight do you have it?

BruceB
03-22-2015, 03:59 PM
This sounds like the sprocket is set up with far too much effort needed to turn the shellplate.

On my own 550, even runs of a thousand rounds or more yield NO discomfort to my fingers or thumbs.

When installing a different shellplate, I use trial-and-error to adjust the amount of effort needed to turn it. A few thousandths of "slop" (clearance) may be needed to allow easy turning, but that minor amount of tolerance is easily compensated-for by die adjustment.

The shellplate should turn EASILY, and certainly should never be so tight as to inflict pain and bruising on the operator.

Good luck.

wrench man
03-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Yea, there is a fine line between floppy loose and to tight!?, but I've never had any issue turning the plate once it's adjusted properly?

Billairgun
03-22-2015, 04:21 PM
I have the bolt as tight as I can where the plate will turn with solid stops at the pins. I have it this tight because I've had trouble with primers in s&b 9mm brass seating and this cured it.

Doc Highwall
03-22-2015, 04:37 PM
This is what I use for my Dillon 550's only instead of buying it I bought the bearings and modified the star my self.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1281

BruceB
03-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Doing a bit of jury-rigging with an RCBS trigger-pull scale, I managed to get a reading on the effort needed to rotate my 550's shellplate (currently set up for .223/5.56).

In several readings, it took LESS than 1/2 pound of pull to start the rotation of the plate.

I'd suggest a call to Dillon for assistance; I have no trouble in priming any of the large- or small-primer cases that I load, Primers are seated correctly.

I would also suggest that since your trouble only occurs with S&B cases, you might discontinue their use. Once-fired 9mm brass is dirt cheap.

LUBEDUDE
03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
You may be surprised how little bit of loosening it takes.

runfiverun
03-22-2015, 05:13 PM
he is trying to hold the cases down tight to get primers in them.
I think I would do my priming off press, change primers, fix the cases, or sumthin else before I broke the shell-plate from trying to cram the primers in the cases.

Petrol & Powder
03-22-2015, 05:37 PM
I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a 550b and never had that issue.
I adjust the shell plate so that there is very little clearance but it rotates easily. A few tips: clean everything well, put a little bit of grease on the detent ball and the shaft of the bolt just under the bolt head. Install the shell plate and related parts. Tighten the bolt down until the shell plate will not rotate and then back it off until it will just turn. I find this easy to do with the tool head removed and the ram at it's highest position. Lock the set screw and check the shell plate for free rotation. Never had a problem.

ph4570
03-22-2015, 06:17 PM
S&B cases that darken my shack go straight to the recycle bucket.

jmorris
03-22-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't have any problems with mine either but I don't have it adjusted so tight the shell plate is in a bind.

If you have to leave it like that to do what you want to do and make is less painful for your fingers go to an auto parts store and buy some vaccum hose and slide it over the arms.

wrench man
03-22-2015, 07:43 PM
The seating pin in the primer slide is adjustable too, my manual isn't at hand?, but I believe they give specification for the pin height too?

ioon44
03-22-2015, 07:56 PM
I have used the same 550 I started with in 1990, never had a problem with my thumb.

I just treat S&B cases like crimped military, swag the pocket end of problem.

Garyshome
03-22-2015, 08:01 PM
No problem your indexer is too tight.

altheating
03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
You probably didn't know that there is a set screw under the shell plate on the side of the ram. Raise the ram up and look at the left side of the ram loosen the set screw, back the Allen screw out just a wee bit and retighten the set screw. You need to hold the Allen wrench while you test it or, while testing it it will l tighten it more. I think the Dillon Manual addresses that adjustment.

EDG
03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
S&B primer pockets are not as deep as the SAAMI standard.

I think you are trying to compensate for that by how your shell plate is set.

Fix the real problem by reaming the S&B deeper or by giving them a one way trip to the range.

I loaded 14 boxes of 45 ACP the last time I used the old 450 and my hands were a non issue.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Sell it and get yourself an auto-advance progressive.

therealhitman
03-23-2015, 01:30 AM
You probably didn't know that there is a set screw under the shell plate on the side of the ram. Raise the ram up and look at the left side of the ram loosen the set screw, back the Allen screw out just a wee bit and retighten the set screw. You need to hold the Allen wrench while you test it or, while testing it it will l tighten it more. I think the Dillon Manual addresses that adjustment.

Bingo.

dudel
03-23-2015, 07:34 AM
I think you have the bolt cranked down a bit much. Free up the set screw on the ram, loosen the sprocket bolt an 1/8 of a turn, tighten up the set screw and give it another try. I give the bottom of the shellplate a spritz of case lube. It dries quickly and gives the sprocket a smoother feel. I don't have a problem with S&B 9mm after I cleaned up the primer pocket. It's a thin line between too loose and too tight.

If you insist on running the bolt as you do, then maybe some soft silicon tubing pushed onto the sprocket arms might give you some relief.

I got more strain with the Dillon small ball on the handle than I ever did from the sprocket. Replaced the Dillon ball with an Adams Ball (billiard #2 blue). I prefer it to the roller handle.

W.R.Buchanan
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
One other point that hasn't been addressed is removing the shell plate and cleaning the underside of it and cleaning the Detent Ball as well.

If this stuff is all clean you probably had the pivot bolt too tight. All the way tight and then back off about one flat or until the shell plate moves freely.

Same as you do for a wheel bearing. This is a common way of adjusting things like this on all types of machinery.

Randy

cajun shooter
03-24-2015, 08:17 AM
I agree with all of the others on your adjustment being way too tight. The 550 should index with a very light touch with your thumb. The change over to the bearings under the plate was done by me about 6 years ago and it only takes a 2 oz. push to move the plate. You may buy the bearings yourself for about $4 from an Industrial supply house. Take Care David

Geezer in NH
03-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Sell it and get yourself an auto-advance progressive.Winner

EddieNFL
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
S&B cases that darken my shack go straight to the recycle bucket.

Along with the Amerc.

John Boy
03-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Index sprocket - pg 7
http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/dillon_rl_550b_manual_may_2007.pdf

jmorris
03-26-2015, 08:59 AM
The change over to the bearings under the plate was done by me...

Under the shell plate?

Doc Highwall
03-26-2015, 01:46 PM
If you look at the link I posted on #8 you will see a picture of the sprocket with the bearing. I opened the sprocket on my lathe just enough that the bearing will fit, and the bearing is on top with the bolt going through it. The bearing allows you to tighten down the bolt while at the same time reducing the friction. I did this to both my Dillon 550B's and it works great.