PDA

View Full Version : GC style boolit out of a sabot?

Indiana shooter
03-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Well I'm finally confident enough with my load combinations in my 44 mag to try hunting with 'em this fall. Next thing on my agenda is to try shooting my 310-430 lee boolit paired with a sabot out of my T/C omega.

The question I have is when being shot in a sabot is the GC necessary to maintain accuracy?

quilbilly
03-21-2015, 10:49 PM
No on the accuracy question but in some states, you can't use any jacketed in a muzzleloader and may define a gas check as a jacket. Your sabot actually performs one of the jobs of a gas check.

Indiana shooter
03-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Neither of the state's I hunt in (KY AND IN) has any such law.

I didn't think there would be an issue with accuracy but I've read that if you plan on using a GC boolit without a GC you have to keep the velocity down or accuracy suffers. What I didn't see was why the accuracy suffers. I'm assuming it has to do with how the base of the boolit interacts with the crown as it exits.

I only ask the question as an attempt to save time and frustration at the range. I'd hate to spend hours trying to find that magical combination of powder, sabot and boolit only to realize that I have to have a GC.

shaune1022
03-22-2015, 12:43 AM
No check needed. I myself use the Lee 240swc unchecked in a sabot out of my Omega. That big swc cuts nice clean holes and the deer bleed out in no time flat.

Screwbolts
03-22-2015, 08:19 AM
IMHO, The only time you would need a GC in MLs is if you were shooting a Smokeless powder approved gun, and shooting Smokeless Powder ( IMHO, the original BP substitute just happens to be smokeless powder. What originally replaced black powder?). As long as you are using Black powder or one of the latest Black powder substitutes you should be fine. But in all honesty only your rifle and load can tell you. If it works in warm weather throw your loaded ML in your freezer overnight and see if a frozen sabot can take it.

Ken

44man
03-22-2015, 08:21 AM
The sabot is your check. The boolit does not touch anything else.

Yodogsandman
03-22-2015, 09:48 AM
This is an interesting discussion and very timely for me. I'm just getting set up to do the same thing in my Firehawk.

So, using a sabot, I should be able to shoot say, 1 in 40 alloy boolits if they cast good, right? Would I get any expansion with a SWC 429421 on a deer? I know it makes a big enough hole but, I'd like a quick kill.

stubert
03-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Sorry, but I see absolutly no need for a gc when your bullet in wrapped in a sabot, doesn't matter what kind of powder you are shooting, the base is already being protected. If you shoot it bare, normal gc policys would apply.

44man
03-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Should be able to shoot pure lead.

Indiana shooter
03-22-2015, 12:14 PM
The lee mold reminds me of a bullet we used as a kid in our muzzle loaders. I don't remember who made them but they were a 260gr lead bullet That was just a bit hardened. That bullet was devastating on deer but the quit making it when I was 14 or so.