PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Dillion Square Deal Primer Tube Ends?

Lefty Red
03-21-2015, 09:27 PM
The blue plastic ends that keep the primers feeding one at a time, for the small and the red ones for large primers. Where can I get them or what item number are they? All I can find is the whole system and I don't need that.
Jerry

Alvarez Kelly
03-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Call Dillon. They will send some to you for free. You don't need a part number... just tell 'em blue and red primer magazine plastic tips.

Love Life
03-21-2015, 11:23 PM
You can get them from Dillon.

Lefty Red
03-21-2015, 11:38 PM
I was hoping as much! Been looking for a freaking item number for hours!
I will call Monday. Thanks.
Jerry

VHoward
03-22-2015, 12:09 AM
Dispensing tip, small #17086 $2.70
Dispensing tip, Large #17085 $2.70
They were not listed on any parts diagram. But they are in Dillons reloading machine parts section. And yes, Dillon will more than likely send you free replacements, so call them on Monday. They open at 7am Mountain time.

Dillon sells what is called a SDB spare parts kit stock #20778 $21.95. I find it handy to have a spare parts kit. It includes the parts that need to be replaced the most. When I have to use one of those spare parts, I call up dillon and tell them what went bad. They send me that part for free and it goes into the spare parts kit for the next time I need it. Gets you back up and running faster than waiting a few days for the postal system to deliver the parts.

Lefty Red
03-22-2015, 02:22 AM
I have a spare parts kit. Didn't want to pay $22 for two pieces of plastics! I screwed up the first ones. The second ones lasted for awhile. Will ask Dillion SC just how they are suppose to be in there.

Jerry

HATCH
03-22-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't know how you wear them out. I have only worn out two ever. But I do have ten tubes for each size

hd09
03-22-2015, 09:04 AM
I wonder what was wrong with the old clear tubes with the brass ends. Mine are over 30 yrs old and still work like new.

jmorris
03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
The oraface tip, give them a call and they will send you a bag of them. They are the weak link in the priming system of the SD, 550 and I almost cried when I noticed the 1050 too. On the 650 the tip is brass.

VHoward
03-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Has anyone tried the brass tips in the others?

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Has anyone tried the brass tips in the others?

I know of a few who tried it. You loose an important safety provision. The plastic tips deform if there is any primer jam.

The brass tip is used with the wheel type priming system. A primer is advanced with every pull of the handle. The plastic tips are used on the shuttle systems. A primer is only dispensed when needed.

I have had plenty of extra brass tipped primer magazine tubes, but I still use the plastic ones in my 550s.

jmorris
03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
I know a few that do as well and have been tempted a few times myself but kind of like to keep my 30 year record, of loading on progressives and not setting of a primer going.

They are free for life, even on the 1050. When you install the last one in the bag they sent you give them a call and get another bag on the way, at that point you won't be down more than a few minutes to swap them.

Walter Laich
03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't know how you wear them out. I have only worn out two ever. But I do have ten tubes for each size
Once they get squished, the two wrap around plastic lips, they are pretty much useless. C
at like to play with them but they hurt when you step on them.

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 04:58 PM
I got ahold of Dillion and it was a warranty item! They got three of each going out to me along with some pickup tube ends because the employee said, "you never can have too many!" Great customer service!

We did chat about how close to have the tips setup for the primer feeder. Business card width is what he stated. Also they have had allot of complaints about the primer feeding system in all of their products and its because of out of round primers. Seems like the primers are out of round, and its across the board but with CCI and WW being the worste. I can attest to that! I had to switch over to the more expensive Remington but got smoother priming.

Jerry

jmorris
03-24-2015, 07:14 PM
I got ahold of Dillion and it was a warranty item!

Everything on the SD is a warranty item, forever.

Lefty Red
03-24-2015, 07:16 PM
That just blows me away! It's a small plastic piece, that will fail in the future. Saving up for another SDP in 44! LOL

jmorris
03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
That just blows me away!

I agree. Think about if auto makers did that or a restraunt. Pay for a meal then come back next time your hungry and eat for free again.

Not sure how the business model works out in the long run but from some posts they seem to be tightening up a little.

In the past (I have owned my two SD's for 30 years) I sent them back for rebuilds and all I ever paid was shipping to them. I have read now they might have a service charge. In any case they will send you the parts for free.

r1kk1
03-25-2015, 09:57 AM
I got ahold of Dillion and it was a warranty item! They got three of each going out to me along with some pickup tube ends because the employee said, "you never can have too many!" Great customer service!

We did chat about how close to have the tips setup for the primer feeder. Business card width is what he stated. Also they have had allot of complaints about the primer feeding system in all of their products and its because of out of round primers. Seems like the primers are out of round, and its across the board but with CCI and WW being the worste. I can attest to that! I had to switch over to the more expensive Remington but got smoother priming.

Jerry

I haven't had an issue with any brand. Primers feed fine. I will look more closely at this.

take care

r1kk1

Lefty Red
03-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Tips came today!

Lefty Red
03-26-2015, 04:06 PM
R1kk1,
I had problems with NEW Winchesters. My old stock of CCI (pre scare) feed great. I was getting seven or eight out of every hundred that was out of round. PITA when you are loading on a progessive.
Jerry

r1kk1
03-27-2015, 09:52 AM
R1kk1,
I had problems with NEW Winchesters. My old stock of CCI (pre scare) feed great. I was getting seven or eight out of every hundred that was out of round. PITA when you are loading on a progessive.
Jerry

Which Winchester? Just received a sleeve of 209s and large rifle magnum. Just picked up a sleeve of CCI large pistol magnum. I will check them out.

Possible you you got a bad batch of Wins Lefty? I bought some Federal 327 mag ammo that wouldn't fire. I sent three boxes back with primer strikes. I can't remember the lot number off hand. A different lot functioned.

take care

r1kk1

Lefty Red
03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Blue box? I picked up a couple bulk boxes of standard small pistol. I am sure that quality is down with this run on components.

MikeBitzenburger
03-27-2015, 04:44 PM
I have had the same issue with new stock winchester primers in my 550. I never thought to check for out of round on the primer. Going to go do just that right now. THANK YOU

jmorris
03-28-2015, 01:13 AM
The last time I bought primers was before people voted our commander in chief in again and I don't think I have loaded any of them yet but I have used Winchester primers in Dillon machines for 30 years, as my "go to" primer.