PDA

View Full Version : Bisley Blackhawk boolit launcher ???

kens
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Please tell me about a Ruger Blackhawk, Bisley, in .45 LC.
I been wanting a .45LC for a long time, and saw this Ruger in a gunstore. Used asking $450. Looks like a 7" barrel, adj sights.

What is the Bisley grip about? Pros or cons?
Value?

In comparison, I seen peacemaker clones for $400+, and a Charter arms .38 snub for $400.
A Ruger for 450 appears like a fair deal.
Opinions?

dubber123
03-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Ruger is a big, tough gun easily capable of firing 300+ grain boolits at 1,300+ fps for as long as you live. I like the Bisley grip, I like how it handles recoil. Some don't like it as much. The sights are kinda cheesy, and it will probably need a trigger job. The trigger job is easy, and the sights don't cost much. I'd pick it well before the other two choices.

W.R.Buchanan
03-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Good Revolver, Good Price,,, just buy it. You can't go wrong!

Randy

boatswainsmate
03-21-2015, 08:06 PM
http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/bot44c26.htm

Clay M
03-21-2015, 08:50 PM
I owned a Ruger Bisley in .32H&R mag and .41 Mag..Both excellent guns that shot well.
If you like the feel of the grip frame,then buy it..It is a modified Bisley grip.Not exactly like the Colt but very nice.Some like it,some don't so the choice is entirely up to you.

kens
03-21-2015, 08:57 PM
I held it and looked at it, I really can't tell any difference in it.
Is the Ruger Bisley a lesser curved grip than that you see in some catalogs?

Clay M
03-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Yes is has a straighter grip angle. I have owned two original Colt Bisleys .One in .32/20 and the other .38/40. I really like the Colts but the Rugers not so much..Just my opinion.
I like the regular Ruger grip best.

dubber123
03-21-2015, 09:24 PM

The Bisley, particularly on the Blackhawk is a straighter, much longer grip, and has a lower, different profile hammer than standard. I can't fit all 4 of my fingers on a standard BH grip, but I can on the Bisley. The Bisleys typically sell for a bit more than a standard framed BH.

w5pv
03-22-2015, 07:55 AM
good post

44 Special
03-22-2015, 08:02 AM

Get the Ruger Bisley 45 Colt and don't look back.
I have one and it is super accurate. The Bisley grip should be on all single action revolvers.

kens
03-22-2015, 08:52 AM
according to the internet, the serial number is a 1997 date.

kevinp
03-22-2015, 10:20 AM
From what I understand,, some of the Rugers had problems with cylinder throat dimensions, and possibly barrel constrictions, maybe a problem if your going to shoot cast out of it.

runfiverun
03-22-2015, 02:00 PM
some of everything has those problems.
buy a pistol recently? they don't even have a throat anymore.

the cylinder throats and a tight spot are pretty easily repairable.

44man
03-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Personally I don't like a Bisley. My hands and knuckle are too big. They get sensitive to hold for me and I can't shoot groups as good. I get my huge knuckle bashed really bad. When I try to get my knuckle free, I change POI.

ejcrist
03-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I been wanting a .45LC for a long time, and saw this Ruger in a gunstore. Used asking $450. Looks like a 7" barrel, adj sights.

What is the Bisley grip about? Pros or cons?

Value?

In comparison, I seen peacemaker clones for $400+, and a Charter arms .38 snub for $400.
A Ruger for 450 appears like a fair deal.
Opinions?

I have the exact same revolver - it's a 7.5" barrel. I bought mine used back around 2000. Initially the throats were tight at around .449 but I opened them up with a Manson Reamer which is easy to get and very easy to do - about a ten minute job. I also put a Wolf 30 oz trigger spring in it. It's one of my more accurate revolvers and I've killed a lot of game with it from groundhogs to feral pigs. One of the nicer things about it is the cylinder is plenty long enough to accommodate heavy (long) bullets. Mine shoots the 45-270-SAA best. I wouldn't hesitate to get one again. It's been my go-to revolver for a long time. I love mine and wouldn't trade her for anything.

Clay M
03-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Personally I don't like a Bisley. My hands and knuckle are too big. They get sensitive to hold for me and I can't shoot groups as good. I get my huge knuckle bashed really bad. When I try to get my knuckle free, I change POI.

And what you are saying is a key factor..In order to shoot good consistent groups you must grip the gun the same way each time, otherwise you get vertical stringing..
It is just a factor each person has to determine for themselves..I loved my old Colt Bisley in .38/40 .It was a serious mistake to get rid of it. As for the Rugers I am glad they are gone.. I grew up shooting a old three screw single six.. I shoot best with the old style grip..

EDK
03-22-2015, 06:35 PM
I resisted the ruger BISLEY grip for years...bad mistake. Half of my VAQUEROS are BISLEYS; the others have DRAGOON (SBH) or HUNTER grip frames. My latest additions have SBH hammers and HUNTER grip frames.
I bought a 44 BISLEY, had the barrel cut to 5.5 inches, a trigger/action tuning, and later a BOWEN target rear sight. " The PERFECT PACKING PISTOL."

kens
03-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I dont have any revolver larger than .38spl, or .45 auto rim.
I saw this one for $450 and thought about it. The bisley grip is something I know nothing about.
The blackhawk (.45LC) will qualify for cowboy action, correct?

doc1876
03-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I wear an extra large size glove, and the bisley fits me fine. my bisley is a 44 but I have several 45 Long Colts you'll love it.

kens
03-22-2015, 09:54 PM
is this one a .454 bore or a .452?

Beagle333
03-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Very fair deal. Jump on it. I got a Bisley BH in .45, 7.5" barrel. You'll love it!

T-Bird
03-23-2015, 08:42 PM
I've had a Bisley 7.5 in 45 colt since the mid '90s. Had the cylinder throats opened to .4525. My bore slugged .451. It is my favorite and most accurate pistol. I have small hands, but I never felt that the regular grip(colt style) was large enough to give me a good grip on the gun. I love the longer Bisley grip. I shot mine today. I shoot 270SAA, Lee 45 200gr. and the Ly thompson 255grgc bullet that I forget the number. Great price and great gun in my opinion. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

bedbugbilly
03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
As already mentioned, the Ruger Bisley grip profile is different from the original Colt Bisley. I have a Uberti "Colt Clone" Bisley and I love it. The Bisley was originally designed as a target revolver (1894) for the Bisley matches in England but the Colt Bisley's also saw lots of use by shooters other than target shooters.

If it feels good in the hand - that's a decent price on a Ruger. I'm actively looking for a SA 45 Colt and if I ran across a Ruger Bisley at that price - I'd probably snap it up. If I remember correctly (and someone correct me if I'm wrong please) - the Ruger Bisley profile is more like the Elmer Keith modified Bisley grip frame design.

FWIW - a Colt Bisley - desigined as a target pistol - was usually aimed by target shooters with the "Bisley Style" - i.e. held in one hand aimed with the wrist and elbow bent - other arm behind the back. I have tried a variety of different holds - all work well with my Uberti Bisley. I was at the range on Saturday shooting it and one handed or two handed hold - it shot well and "killed the crow" that was on my target.

kens
03-24-2015, 04:11 PM
It must be a modified Bisley of some sort. By just looking at it, it doesnt look like the down turned grip familiar in pictures (bisley)
It must be a subtle Bisley. Felt good in my hands though. The rosewood grips pushed me over the top, I put it on layaway.

Clay M
03-24-2015, 04:15 PM
It must be a modified Bisley of some sort. By just looking at it, it doesnt look like the down turned grip familiar in pictures (bisley)
It must be a subtle Bisley. Felt good in my hands though. The rosewood grips pushed me over the top, I put it on layaway.

Yes they are a modified Bisley not exactly like the original Colt..
A good gun for a good price.If it feels good to you that is all that matters.

osteodoc08
03-24-2015, 05:32 PM
I'd buy it in a heart beat. I have a 45 colt bisely with 5.5" barrel and 45 acp cylinder. It is a true gem. I prefer the Bisley grip for all out bull bustin loads that put a hurtin on both ends.

9.3X62AL
03-24-2015, 06:19 PM
I have a BisHawk x 7.5" x 45 Colt new in 1995. Once I finished building it (opened its cyl throats to .453") to accommodate its .452" grooves, it shot/shoots wonderfully. Prior to surgery, it was a One Bullet Wonder--Lyman #454490.

The Ruger Bisley grip frame differs from the Colt Bisley--the Colt SAA--and all other Ruger SA grip profiles. It should be subjectively assessed by its buyer for feel in the hand and (if possible) on the firing line prior to committing to buy. I have large hands and long fingers, and very much like the Ruger Bisley grip. It isn't for all users, but that is what makes the world go around.

$450 is a near steal for a BisHawk in decent shape.

Moonie
03-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Seriously, everyone needs a ruger single action and that would be a great one.

kens
04-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, I picked it up from the lay-a-way.
I cleaned it real good and it has holster wear, and otherwise looks unfired. Comes complete with original box.

I slugged the cylinder and barrel, it is as others have mentioned; the cylinder throat is tighter than the bore,
also when I slugged the barrel from the muzzle, the slug got tighter at the barrel threads, or forcing cone.

What is the remedy for this?

knifemaker
04-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Get a hold of Dougguy on this forum. He can ream your throats out to .4525 at a very reasonable price. He also can take care of that barrel choke for you or you can "fire lap" the choke point out if it is about 1 thousand. You can search "fire lapping" if you are not familiar with it. Doing the opening of the throats and getting rid of the choke point will help improve accuracy a good amount when shooting cast boolits. Will help to reduce lead deposits in the barrel also.

dubber123
04-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Sounds pretty typical, and all easily remedied. Having the throats tighter is a nuisance, but it gives you a chance to have them all made the correct size, and all consistent. Doug does good work. I'm a firelapping fan, it can work wonders. It will also take a while, Ruger uses pretty tough barrel steel. Enjoy your new shooter.