PDA

View Full Version : Fire forming 7mm-08 brass

michiganmike
03-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Yesterday, Friday, March 20, I went to the Fowler Conservation Club range, in the country NW of Lansing, Michigan. I had the range to myself the entire time I was there. For the privilege I pay $20 a year.

I went there to fire form 100 pieces of brass. For months I had been looking 7mm-08 brass to no avail. Recently I found .308 brass at a good price at Silver State Armory, so I bought 100 rounds. I also had a little AA 1680 powder doing nothing. So, using one of the reduced load calculators I found on this forum, I loaded each piece of brass with 20 grains of AA 1680, which pushed the 145 grain Loverin bullet along at 1800 fps +/-.

While I was not shooting for accuracy, The 1680 shows some promise. 19 of the 100 shots fired were off black and orange, but the remaining rounds landed on target at 75 rounds. It was pretty consistent, and it appears that AA 1680 holds some promise for this bullet. Below is the target.

I also learned:

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injection Cleaner makes a very good case priming lube.
My new Lyman Universal Case Prep Accessory Set works well. I have osteoarthritis in both hands and the large handles are easy on the hands. Why can I buy an ergonomic potato peeler, but ergonomic reloading hand tools are so rare?
AA 1680, in addition to showing promise, is a clean burning powder, cleaner than the H4895 I used in some loads I was testing.
The new improved Lee hand priming tool continues to be touchy. I am getting better with it, but continue to have occasional problems with primers stacking up in the little clear tower. The old model Lee hand priming tool, in contrast was virtually problem free.
Finally, the Lyman Loverin style 7mm, 150 gr. bullet is amazing. It shoots accurately with just about any combination of powder, primer, seating depth, etc. that I try.
Addendum, I tried to upload the picture of the target, but it appears very small to me. I hope it shows up larger. Still learning how to use this part of the program.

Finally, It was it was great to be out shooting again in decent weather. I also did some shooting with my new Ruger American .22. That is a wonderful .22. I bought the model with the 18"barrel and have an inexpensive Bushnell made for .22 scope on it. It is remarkably accurate and a pleasure to shoot. It has the feel of a full sized center fire rifle, and handles very nicely.

A good time was had by all,

MichiganMike

Indiana shooter
03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I too am glad the weather finally broke. This past winter has been a tough one.

Wile using necked down 308s be sure to watch your neck tension. I haven't found any 7mm-08 brass either so, like you, I necked down some 308. All seemed well until a coworker gave me a box of once fired federal brass. My load was far from max so I didn't reduce it before loading. Big mistake, I had a head separation. I then pulled all 59 remaining bullets to see what happened. I then reloaded 3 of them with a starting load and when I fired them I had flowing brass and a blown primer.

After a bit of investigation I found that the fed necks were 2 thousands thicker than the hornady match that I was using causing the pressure spike.