PDA

View Full Version : tell us how you decap your brass.

gunoil
03-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Show & tell how you decap your shoebox full of brass.

Most decap before cleaning.

Cmm_3940
03-21-2015, 06:55 AM
I don't decap pistol brass before cleaning. Clean, then size/decap/prime in one operation.

comdiver
03-21-2015, 07:12 AM
I use a Lee decapper die before I clean.

Plates5
03-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Decap and then clean.

winelover
03-21-2015, 07:17 AM
RCBS decapping die, after cleaning. Don't care to have to check flash holes for stuck media.

Winelover

zuke
03-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Lee universal decapping die then SS tumble

BethelHntr
03-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Decapp dirty rifle brass then tumble, Pistol I don't clean primer pockets.

NC_JEFF
03-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Universal decapper, clean, size, etc...

hunter49
03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Lee universal decapping die and then ssm wet tumble.

03-21-2015, 09:26 AM

+1 ^^

Just did a mixed bag of 45acp, 44mag, 223, 308 and a few x39. Tip.. don't mix 44 mag and 223 or similar in the sst tumble.. (lesson learned)...

texassako
03-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Same here using my cheap Lee single stage press. Keeps the grunge off the other presses.

jonas302
03-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Dry tumble then decap and size and prime in the same step

catgunguy
03-21-2015, 10:15 AM
I use a universal decapping die and then in the wash they go. They do dry faster with the primers out.

Eddie2002
03-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Rifle brass gets decapped by hand with a pin , any pistol brass gets run through the resizer and gets decapped at the same time.

Sean357
03-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Lee loader decapping punch and holder.

RichBaxter
03-21-2015, 10:51 AM
RCBS universal decapping die, SS pin clean, then size prime etc.

jmorris
03-21-2015, 10:54 AM
I always clean first then decap. Some brass generally rifle or bottleneck pistol rounds might go back for a second tumble after size/deprime and trim.

For all of my non bolt action/single shot pistols, I don't bother.

I do size/deprime and swage pistol brass I feed my autodrive machines first, to catch any brass related malfunctions before powder, primers and bullets are involved. I don't bother with my manual machines because it would double the work I would have to do.

This is the fast way (4300/hr).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ieGYpdr9I

yancey
03-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Lee Universal decapping Die then clean .

r1kk1
03-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Harvey Deprimer. I have the additional rods with one going to a machine shop to be turned down for subcaliber's and the other for PPC/BR flash holes. The standard rod will work from .22 to .475 Linebaugh. I have a decapping die for 500 Linebaugh and other large non BMG stuff. This is a Sinclair die with rods for subcaliber, small flash hole brass and for large caliber stuff greater than 45 caliber rifle.

I also have have the Lee die and it's fine for .22-.45 caliber stuff. Lee doesn't recognize or have the capabilities to do subcalibers like .17, .19, and tight necked .20 caliber stuff. Nor is there a rod for PPC/BR flasholes. A machine shop can do this for a person and I know the die will handle up to .475 Linebaugh.

I really like the Harvey Deprimer. I sit next to a bucket and spent primer fall in and the brass goes into my drum for tumbling. It's pretty fast for what it is.

Take care

r1kk1

bangerjim
03-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Just standard Lee decapping/sizing die............. B4 cleaning (most times). Fast and easy. Decaps and resizes the case at the same time.

DR Owl Creek
03-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I deprime all my cases with the RCBS Universal decapping die, and then I run them through my tumbler. After that, I prep the brass as usual.

Dave

country gent
03-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I size and decap before cleaning rifle brass pistol brass is done on a dillon 650 cleaned before start and ran to finish. BPCR brass is decapped after each group string is fired and placed in lemi shine dawn and water mix to soak till I get home and rinse it. My decapper is a pliers style I made myself. works very good and is compact. Im working on an Idea for one that will catch all the old primers and be made from off the shelf hardware items with simple hand tools. Hack saw, propane tourch files and drill press or hand drill. Im thinking it through right now but am close to making a prototype.

375supermag
03-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Hi...

I run all my brass through the tumbler first and then wipe them down to remove any media residue from the brass.

De-cap and re-size on my RockChucker and then clean primer pockets. Sometimes I wash the brass in boiling water, lemon juice and dishwashing liquid, if there is a lot of range pick-up brass mixed in. Typically, I don't clean primer pockets if I wash the brass...that usually obviates the need to clean the primer pockets. Air dry under the ceiling fan.

Cherokee
03-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Fired brass goes into the vib cleaner, then deprimed as part of the sizing process.

Bonz
03-21-2015, 12:18 PM
De-prime with the Lee Universal die and then wet tumble with stainless steel media. I upgraded to the next bigger size in stainless steel pins so that I don't have to check flash hole for pins stuck in them.

dragon813gt
03-21-2015, 01:24 PM
All brass is tumbled w/ primers intact first. Pistol is sent straight to the turret where it's loaded. Rifle will be decapped during sizing since it requires lube. Quick trip through tumbler to remove lube and it's ready to load.

MrWolf
03-21-2015, 01:34 PM
+1 on the Harvey Deprimmer then I SS tumble.

pworley1
03-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I decap with a lee universal, then clean.

rondog
03-21-2015, 02:58 PM
This.

JWFilips
03-21-2015, 03:02 PM
I "universal decap" then clean and inspect!

seaboltm
03-21-2015, 03:08 PM
For bulk ammo sessions such as 9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP I clean and then load on a progressive reloader where depriming is done while sizing.

When I am looking for better accuracy such as my 44 mag, 45 Colt, and rifle cartridges I use the Lee universal deprimer and then clean.

Sometimes there are exceptions. I used a Lee universal on a bunch of super dirty mil-surp 30 carbine brass running it through my Lee Loadmaster. This lot of brass needs a good, deep cleaning so I wanted to deprime it first. With the Loadmaster using the case feed it took less than an hour to deprime 1000 cases.

alamogunr
03-21-2015, 05:01 PM
If I clean, I do it before decapping. I use the Lee decapping die mounted in a Lee Reloader press mounted as shown in Handloader #294. It is mounted on spacers to raise it above a container to catch the fired primers. Works better than using the Rockchucker to deprime.

troyboy
03-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Pistol ammo gets cleaned then resized and decapped in a single die. Rifle brass gets tumbled. If it is used then it gets full length resized and decapped by a single die. If the rifle brass is fired in my rifle,and am sizing just enough to maintain headspace,a Lee universal decapper is used first then the sizer die is used.

Bzcraig
03-21-2015, 05:12 PM

Same here, rifle and pistol.

edler7
03-21-2015, 05:38 PM

Same here. All decapping done on a Lee C frame press dedicated just for that purpose.

Johnny_V
03-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Eddie17
03-21-2015, 07:15 PM
I universal decap then SS pin clean and inspect!

Ickisrulz
03-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Harvey Deprimer. The best solution for all applications and for everyone.

Yodogsandman
03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
All fired brass is tumbled clean, then deprimed as part of the sizing operation. Primer pockets are then cleaned and the brass returned to the tumbler to remove case lube. When they're removed, they each get poked in the primer flash hole with a wire to be sure there's no stuck media.

Pipefitter
03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
My handgun ammo is loaded on a Dillon 550, all handgun brass gets the universal decap die then cleaned before seeing the Dillon. The 550 is kinda particular to dust and priming grit in the priming mechanism. Rifle brass gets the same treatment even though it is loaded on a single stage press. I feel there is better "feel" in seating primers that way.

garym1a2
03-21-2015, 09:43 PM
When I want to decap them I clean them first and than the handgun cases go thru my Lee pro 1000. Its quite a fast decapper when using the case feed.

pastime
03-22-2015, 03:15 AM
In batches, I tumble, dry, deprime, run a Lee primer pocket tool in the primer pockets, run a dremel straight wire brush in the primer pockets then resize and prime. Sounds long and drawn out and a little labor intensive but hey I am retired and like to keep busy.

ioon44
03-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Lee loader decapping punch and holder and some times use a Redding 300 WIN mag sizer die with the expander ball removed, just like a universal decaper with out having to buy one.

LabGuy
03-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Lyman universial decap, then SS tumble. Worked great untill about three months ago when I broke the 25 year old decap rod. No replacements in stock. Just got two replacements last week.

UBER7MM
03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
RCBS Universal Decapper.

L Erie Caster
03-22-2015, 11:08 AM

EDG
03-22-2015, 12:41 PM
A hand punch powered by an 8 oz DoAll dead blow hammer.

Dave C.
03-22-2015, 06:01 PM
It gets tumbled for an hour and then loaded on the 550. This is for pistol brass in batches of 1,000.
I shoot very little rifle brass so with that I have time to play games.

Dave C.

Rhou45
03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Inspect for damage or pressure sign, then Lee universal decapping die, tumble, re-inspect. Always as a pre-step to reloading.

bedbugbilly
03-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Lee universal de-capping die in a RCBS Jr3 - use it on all my brass - pistol and rifle. I don't "clean" brass yet - having too much fun just making it "dirtier". :-) A cleaning "set up" is on my "to do" list as I really do need one . . . hopefully can accomplish that this summer.

gloob
03-24-2015, 07:09 PM
It is potentially dangerous to decap before sizing, just to clean the primer pockets. If one of your decapped cases gets mixed into a batch of sized and decapped cases, you might accidentally load it and not notice. In a semiauto, this can cause a terrible amount of setback and a kB. I had this happen, but luckily the case had a spent primer in it and didn't go off. When I ejected the round, the nose of the 40SW bullet was flush with the case mouth.

I would not use a universal decapper for safety reasons. If you want to clean primer pockets, you might consider tumble, size/decap, tumble.

jmorris
03-24-2015, 07:12 PM
It is dangerous to decap before sizing, just to clean the primer pockets. If one of your decapped cases gets mixed into a batch of sized and decapped cases, you might accidentally load it and not notice. In a semiauto, this can cause a terrible amount of setback and a kB. I had this happen, but luckily the case had a spent primer in it and didn't go off.

How did you have a spent primer in a deprimed case?

03-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Most all of my cases will no longer hold a boolit after being fired. Seating a boolit in an unsized case would result in it disappearing in the case.. This, I would notice.. LOL

I single stage load so that I have many opportunities to catch any mistakes. I separate the operations, little chance of that happening.

03-24-2015, 07:28 PM

Was wondering the same thing.. a spent primer in a batch of deprimed, tumbled brass, would not have made it to the drying step of wet tumbling in my operation...

country gent
03-24-2015, 07:38 PM
I deprime by hand and clean before sizing and on pitol brass there is still a decapping rod pin in the sizing die ( this insures all flasholes are clear of debriss ) so a fired primer will b rmoved and new primer installed as normal. On rifle cases I clear primer pockets by hand after cleaning and before loading. I only have one batch of cases one powder and one bullet and one primer on the bench at a time also. If your fired unsized brass holds a bullet with any type of friction you have a bigger issue than a what you state as there is no room to release a bullet when fired.

JWFilips
03-24-2015, 08:22 PM
It is potentially dangerous to decap before sizing, just to clean the primer pockets. If one of your decapped cases gets mixed into a batch of sized and decapped cases, you might accidentally load it and not notice. In a semiauto, this can cause a terrible amount of setback and a kB. I had this happen, but luckily the case had a spent primer in it and didn't go off. When I ejected the round, the nose of the 40SW bullet was flush with the case mouth.

I would not use a universal decapper for safety reasons. If you want to clean primer pockets, you might consider tumble, size/decap, tumble.

It is a matter of sequence and QC! Decap all dirty fired cases The decapped dirty fired cases are tumbled! No dirty cases go into my dies. All those tumbled cases then go into the sizer die! No mistakes ! (Unless one can't follow a simple sequence ....if that is the case well:shock:)

Geezer in NH
03-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Two presses Both Lee Classic casts, one with a Lyman universal decapper and the other with the Lee universal decapper. It depends on who is using , My son likes the Lee and I use the Lyman.

We just decapped 5000 cases in 3 hours with both of us working decapping. These were 223 cases and had to have the mouths rounded from the deformed case mouth damage.

This included coffee/soda breaks

gloob
03-27-2015, 03:17 AM
The case was not sized, nor decapped. It was just a fired case.

If I had deprimed before tumbling, I WOULD have primed it. Then I would have had a real problem.

Moonie
03-27-2015, 11:57 AM

That's how I do it, usually on my loadmaster for speed.

McCarthy
03-27-2015, 10:45 PM
I decap on my Redding Ultramag with a LEE die. Those primers jump out of the pockets at first sight of this monster press. :mrgreen: Next step is wet tumbling in SS media.

jmorris
03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
The case was not sized, nor decapped. It was just a fired case. If I had deprimed before tumbling, I WOULD have primed it. Then I would have had a real problem.I am thinking you have a method problem. Regardless of how you manage to have a case skip a sequential process (may be an argument for a progressive) you still need to QC the end product. I case gauge, box and "press check" so I know all have sufficient neck tension.

StratsMan
03-28-2015, 10:59 AM
I always wash & tumble cases dry as the first step... I just like 'em clean to start... Straight-wall cases (eg: 45acp, 38/357) are ready to go through the progressive for reloading at that point. Bottle-neck cases are sized/deprimed and re-washed, tumble-dried, and trimmed as needed.

During bottle-neck reloading, I put in a neck sizer in the first station as the necks will sometimes get a little out of round. Also, the decapping pin pushes out any media that may be stuck in the flash hole... And in the off chance there's still a primer in the pocket, it will get punched out.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
I go the slow route. I use a lee universal decapping die in a lee hand press. I do all my decapping sitting on the couch at the end of the day or, in the summer, out by a bonfire

leebuilder
03-28-2015, 11:56 AM
If is my known brass in the tumblr it goes then decapped/resized. If its new unkown source brass i use lee universal decapper. Nastys can lurk in them shells and i hate busting decapping pins.

Twicepop
03-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Most of the time I de-cap the cases when they get run through the sizer die. It then goes into the tumbler for cleaning or polishing. I know that requires me to clear the flash hole on a lot of them, but it partially cleans the primer pocket and it gives me another opportunity to inspect the case this time when it's clean.