PDA

View Full Version : Bought a waffle top!

Three44s
03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
The other day a waffle top Marlin in .35 Rem. followed me home.

From a collectors standpoint the bad news is that it's been D&Ted ....... However, I am not a collector per se and the pre-micro grooved barrel and the fact it has been bubbaed from a collecting persective is actually good for me ...... I saved some dollars and have a shooter for cast.

The rifle came with those unsightly "ironsighter" type mounts and a low end Bushnell scope. I'll use the scope elsewhere.

As this used rifle came from Cabelas (my first gun purchase there) it carries a ten day guarentee, I bought a box of factory Hornady 200 gr. FTX ammo and ran some six rounds through it at 30 yds and then at 100 yds.

I did this test firing before I removed the scope and one piece base/rings.

I must say I was most happy with the results!

If this is any reflection what the future holds ........ I am in for one heck of a "ride" with this rifle. I was only firing two shot groups as I walked the point of impact into the aim point but the results spoke for themselves.

It's pretty convincing to see big holes in the paper in close proximity to each other ............ I am starting to call it my "waffle stomper"!

I have been researching different sights and as a confirmed receiver sight person, I am looking at something like the Williams FP.

I see two small screws on the left side of the receiver and have read that these screws remove and traditional receiver sights attach there. Is this correct?

I am fully aware of the top mounted options ....... I have shot rifles with the Skinner sights and am very impressed ....... and Williams has a top mounted sight that would likely work but that's not the direction I want to go presently. I have also read that some find the top mounted Williams to hang out over the hammer ...... don't want to go that way.

My goal is to put a traditional side mounted FP on this waffle top and since it's already drilled, perhaps install the original XS rail that used the forward scope base holes and also the rear sight dovetail for forward mounting of optics as well as attaching other sorts of sighting aids.

Best regards

Three 44s

crazy mark
03-21-2015, 12:33 AM
Yep those 2 screw holes next to the ejector pin are for a receiver mount. Look around as you can find many different brands. I like Lyman and I have an adjustable orifice size on one of my many Marlins. I think 2 of my waffle tops are drilled and tapped one is a 336SC in 35 REM. They have 1.5 x 4.5 low profile scopes on them that really look nice. I have 2 35's early 50's and they both like the RCBS 35-200 cast bullet. I haven't shot jacketed in either one. Enjoy it as they are getting harder to find and are nice guns.

wrench man
03-21-2015, 01:53 AM
I prefer the Lyman 66LA receiver sight myself, this one is on my 444T, but it's the same for all Marlins that are drilled for a receiver sight.
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/peep001.jpg (http://s754.photobucket.com/user/ramblerinternational/media/guns/peep001.jpg.html)

My Waffle top 35 Rem is also drilled and tapped for a scope, I put a Weaver K-4 on top, it works and looks real good!, it puts hand loaded 200grn Core-Lokt's right where I want them to go!

rondog
03-21-2015, 02:53 AM
I keep looking, but I don't see the photos of this new boomstick.....

Three44s
03-21-2015, 09:59 AM
I keep looking, but I don't see the photos of this new boomstick.....

Sorry!

I am not that great on that trick ..... in fact I am terrible ......... LOL!

We might have to up our game though .......... we'll see.

Wrench Man,

I like the Lyman as well ........ but the prices are climbing ........ and you've got to snag one and that's getting harder to find a steel one.

I can get by with the Williams for my purposes and track down a Lyman perhaps in the long run ......... the Williams could go on a '94 Win later.

Crazy Mark,

I noticed the RCBS 200 gr. cast as being a pretty favorable slug .......... I have a Lyman RN non gas check 200 gr. until I get the RCBS mold or similar. The RN should be ok for plinking.

Three 44s

imashooter2
03-21-2015, 01:07 PM
My 35 Rem waffle top was drilled and tapped too. Came complete with high end Tasco 4X in see through mounts. [smilie=l:
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/35rem-600.jpg

I wouldn't call a rifle with vintage D&T "Bubbaed" though. Back in the 50's, these rifles were common as dirt and adding a scope was an upgrade. Even today, unmolested "collectable" rifles don't command big money.

Congratulations on the find and enjoy your new rifle!

TXGunNut
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Congrats on an awesome hunting rifle in a great CB cartridge. The CoreLokt bullet is a good one but IMHO the Ranch Dog 359-190 is a much better choice, at least in my MG barrel. A receiver sight may be a good choice, I like the Williams but my Marlins wear compact scopes or a dot sight. Hornady or Remington ammo is a good source of brass, I guess. I hope the FTX ammo is full-length, not like some of their other offerings. 35 Rem is easy on the brass so the brass issue isn't really a big issue, especially with Grumpa willing to make some for you.

Nueces
03-21-2015, 02:07 PM
I picked up a 336A in 35 Rem just last week. The manager of my LGS motioned to it behind his desk and called it a 30-30. A glance at the muzzle told me the truth. It was being held for someone, who, apparently upon finding it not to be a 30-30, passed on it. I wanted it to side my Marauder 35. Seller asked me if I had ammo. I answered "I have dies, cases and moulds."

TXGunNut
03-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Congrats, Nueces. One man's trash, another man's treasure, indeed.

Hickok
03-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Love the .35 Remington caliber.

bangerjim
03-21-2015, 03:54 PM
WAFFLES! And here I was ready to dig out the maple syrup and butter!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

Baron von Trollwhack
03-21-2015, 05:43 PM
wrench man has the idea with that receiver sight. It is great for those able to use them. A merit adjustable iris makes it even better.

Three44s
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
I grew up shooting dad's Remington 341P (the "P" stands for a factory installed peep sight) in .22 rim.

I am right at home with them.

And I am thinking about a scope or red dot sight on a forward rail such as the original XS that attaches by way of the forward scope base holes and a tenion mounted in the original rear sight dovetail.

But my goal is to use a receiver sight most of the time.

My question is about the Lyman sight vs. the Williams.

I have been reading about the steel version of the Lyman sight .......... but it seems like you need a bank roll to even look at one.

Lyman does make the correct sight I am seeking in aluminum.

The Williams are and have been aluminum.

I want to get my Marlin back into service with a receiver sight ........ Is a Lyman aluminum version better or enough better than a Williams ...... or would you folks suggest that I hold out for a steel Lyman?

I am quite sure that the "bug" to get going on this rifle is not going to remain "dormant" much longer ....... I have another rifle to use a Williams on later if I were to find a steel Lyman that is priced half way reasonably.

Or I could just invest in the Lyman aluminum sight and be done with it.

Decisions ...... Decisions .........

I got a big pile of lead, a good lead bank to invest it in right out my door .......... and the itch is getting intense ........... LOL!

Thanks thus far and in advance!!

Three 44s

Three44s
03-21-2015, 07:59 PM
WAFFLES! And here I was ready to dig out the maple syrup and butter!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

.............. hmmmm ............ I think these waffles require some seasoning salt ........... LOL!

Best regards

Three 44s

crazy mark
03-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Either receiver sight will be fine. Take your time finding a steel Lyman. It will show up when you least expect it. I have a 358075 200 gr PB and a 358430 195 gr PB that I use for plinking. They are pretty good up to about 1600 FPS @ a range of 75 yds Max.

northmn
03-22-2015, 09:29 AM
I have used the Williams 5-D for years on my rifles and they work just fine. One rifle is carried on my tractor and 4 wheeler when I put up wood and it stays zeroed in. That is more of a testimonial than you may realise. I use 200 grain bullets in my 35 and have found that the Hornady LE's and the Remington Coreloks shoot close enough in one sight in for general work unless you are hunting striped ground squirrels and expect 100 yard shots. The more expensive sights are better if one changes laods on occasion. My 35 waffle top was D&T for a scope also and wears one. I like the 1.5-4.5 shotgun scopes for the rifle and have taken a couple of deer with it. So far I just shoot it once or twice to see if its sighted in before season. As ammo was a bit difficult to find last fall I shot it a bit more to check out handloads but again they were well within the factory load sightin. So far it has been a pretty good rifle.

DP

Three44s
03-22-2015, 09:39 AM
That's pretty well in line with my thoughts!

I have a Marlin in .357 that's had the 5D since I had it installed right after buying it new in 1980. Never looked back.

Prior to that, I had a 5D on a Savage 99 in .250-3000 and that one did get knocked off line once ....... that coyote's offspring are likely laughing that one off ........ LOL!

I will likely be testing different loads in my "waffle stomper" (the .35 Rem) until I settle on one and then the point of aim will stay put most likely.

My thought is to use the peep sight on an every day basis and perhaps get an XS forward rail to use with some sort of optics ...... and an optic may be used for load development.

This rifle is exhibiting some exceptional accuracy already ........ if this proves out ..... I'll have an itch I will have to scratch.

Maybe I'll have to find another .35 Rem ....... good grief .... it never ends ......... LOL!

Three 44s

northmn
03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Check the screw holes and line up. for getting an occasional scope mount for just testing loads you might just be able to get one of the less expensive 1 piece made mounts like I have on my Marlin and saw off part of it so as not to interfere with the peep sight. Even if you have only use 3 screws it will work for load testing. There is nothing sacred about those inexpensive one piece mounts. Personally I find the shotgun scope to be all the sight equipment I need.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/004_zps59f1c219.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Buck%202011/004_zps59f1c219.jpg.html)http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/AntleredDoe001.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Buck%202011/AntleredDoe001.jpg.html)http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011001.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Buck%202011/Buck2011001.jpg.html)
The deer in the pickup box was a doe. I was getting hungary in the later part of the season and thought I was shooting a legal buck. Surprise. got a lot of comment at the registration station.

DEP

Three44s
03-22-2015, 08:41 PM
That would save quite a few bucks ...... I like it!

I'll no doubt use a low magnification scope even if that is off in the future when a receiver sight no longer works for me.

I am also thinking about red dot ........ or another favorite of mine .... the Bushnell Holosight and perhaps an inexpensive magnifier behind it. Not that I am wanting to turn my waffle stomper into a black "ninja" rifle ........ or some such ........ but that is where the added length of the original XS rail could become useful.

I ranch for a living and some of our issues involve depredation ...... and yes, not just small predators and you can be facing a "sticky wicket" after hours.

Any way this is sliced, I am going to throughly enjoy this new to me Marlin in 35 Rem and it could further extend to "hide saving".

Best regards!

Three 44s

TXGunNut
03-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Put a good sturdy scope on it, my 35 Rem 336 is named "Scopekiller" for good reason. Don't know what this rifle has against scopes but she's sent two to the scrap pile and a third one came back with upgraded innards.

Wasalmonslayer
03-23-2015, 12:51 AM
Three 44's aren't you glad I passed on that one so you could enjoy all this.
If I would of bought it you would be bored right now!
Enjoy!
wasalmonslayer

northmn
03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
I got the largest deer pictured with a Red Dot. I find them faster than a peep sight and more precise for quick shooting. Military is starting to use them now, of course theirs costs about $400 while mine was a $40 Tasco. I have shot a few more deer with a Red Dot and like them. Just would rather not have to turn a button to get my scope to work so I use low power glass.
Finn Agaard wrote an article for the American Rifleman about scope use on large mean game in Africa and preferred a scope over iron sights. He was talking about the big guns like the 375 H&H and up. Claimed they were plenty durable and reliable, as much so as iron and could pick up lighting better when game was in the shadows and were just as quick. I find for in the MN brush that they permit the ability to "thread" a shot through the brush and make longer shots in open woods and fields. In a bucks only permitted area where I live it also lets one look at the deer closely to see if its legal. There are those that like to shoot deer for larger horns, I like venison and after a certain point want meat. A platter of tender steaks beats sausage every time.

DP

Three44s
03-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Three 44's aren't you glad I passed on that one so you could enjoy all this.
If I would of bought it you would be bored right now!
Enjoy!
wasalmonslayer

Wasalmonslayer,

Hey, I tried to talk you into it but ......... I guess I sold myself on it in the meantime! LOL!

One thing about it ........ you'll get to shoot it anyway!

I am still pinching myself on it's apparent accuracy with J-words ........ and the fact that it's not a microgroove will lend it better towards running cast through it ..... and that was my goal all a long.

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
03-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Put a good sturdy scope on it, my 35 Rem 336 is named "Scopekiller" for good reason. Don't know what this rifle has against scopes but she's sent two to the scrap pile and a third one came back with upgraded innards.

So the moral of the story is to use a scope with an iron clad guarentee. I do that with wrenches ........ hard pull ......... use a wrench that's well covered.

I am surprised though ...... my rifle did not bite all that hard but it's got a slip on Limbsaver pad on it that it came with.

Three 44s

Three44s
03-23-2015, 08:36 PM
I got the largest deer pictured with a Red Dot. I find them faster than a peep sight and more precise for quick shooting. Military is starting to use them now, of course theirs costs about $400 while mine was a $40 Tasco. I have shot a few more deer with a Red Dot and like them. Just would rather not have to turn a button to get my scope to work so I use low power glass.
.................................................. ...

DP

Finn Agaard would certainly know! I also agree on the light issues and shadows and even the threading of shots through brush.

I like the holosights for a very fast sight. But I also place a premium on this rifle being as light as possible and simple. Your mention on having to turn on a red dot is well taken ........ I have to remember to turn on my holosights as well.

What makes that critical for me is one of the reasons I bought a Marlin .35 Rem.

I am a rancher. We have had apex predators right here on the home place causing depredation of our livestock ....... thus far, it's been cougars and black bear (with the great preponderance of the kills coming from the cats).

Either one of these predators can and will charge over a kill to protect it from "theft". Either one can also charge to protect their young.

I have some brushy places where these predators often operate from and a fast handling rifle with enough punch would be very comforting while inspecting a situation.

While I find my way this Marlin waffle top, I am going to be doing some experimentation ......... certainly cast boolit load work but also trying some different sighting combinations.

I am going to want the rifle as light and trim as possible so it does not "sit at home" ......... and yet effective.

In my State, you can't hunt game with a laser ....... but it's my understanding that when you are protecting yourself or your livestock ........ a laser would not be an issue. But I am going to research that one out before I make a decision. A laser with a pressure switch would solve two problems ........ turning it on soon enough ....... and also help with low light or dark.

There is always the axiom about it being better to be "judged by twelve than to be carried by six".

Three 44s

TXGunNut
03-23-2015, 10:11 PM
So the moral of the story is to use a scope with an iron clad guarentee. I do that with wrenches ........ hard pull ......... use a wrench that's well covered.

I am surprised though ...... my rifle did not bite all that hard but it's got a slip on Limbsaver pad on it that it came with.

Three 44s

I'd put VX-3's on all of them if I could but couldn't get a 2-7 at the time.
Scopekiller did in a Redfield three times and I still think they're pretty good scopes, good guarantee anyway. I put a Weaver on it while the good folks at Leupold had it last time. Still there. First scope she broke was a cheap one I took off something else, lasted a year or two. I don't think the 35 Rem is hard on scopes, for some reason this rifle seems to like breaking them lately. It was hard to leave one of my favorite rifles at home this past season, hope it doesn't happen again.

Wasalmonslayer
03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
See you needed that rifle to protect all then new baby's on the ranch!
The ole waffle could not of a been better fast acting and more reliable choice to anchor some of the theives that prowler the night lookin for some of those baby's.
See it was meant to be!
I appreciate the offer to send a few down range!

Three44s
03-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Wasalmonslayer,

I guess you are right!

Best regards

Three 44s

northmn
03-25-2015, 01:25 PM
As to black bear and cougar. I can get the Hornady 200 gain LE ammo at this time and have found it very effective on deer. Broke bones and still penetrated and looking at the size of a cougar it would likely be effective. For Black bear which we have in MN I think I would like the old Remington Corelok better for that use. Those that have them also like the Winchester power point, which has worked very very well out of my 30-30's. Would want a shoulder buster load. Got my black bear with a 22 hornet and a neck shot but just mention that in passing as I would prefer something a bit bigger. Another story.

DP

Three44s
03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
TXGunNut,

The large selection of lower power scopes is pretty amazing. It's going to take a while to digest all the features and attributes. Very interesting!

northmn,

When I bought this rifle it came with a 10 day warrantee and I bought the only ammo in the store ........ the Hornady 200 gr. FTX so I could be certain that the rifle was functional.

My plan is to switch over to a good cast boolit or two for economy and self-sufficiency as soon as I have time. I am not anti-j-word but I am pro-boolit!

I don't think a cougar takes a whole lot of hutspaw from a bullet ........ the bullet diameter as large as 35 caliber and certainly bigger is in and of itself a game changer but bears are on another level.

My ultimate goal is to also acquire a Marlin in .45-70 .......... this rifle I found in .35 Rem is (as I see it) a bridge to the gap between where I was and where I will ultimately be with the more formidable lever rifle.

Three 44s

TXGunNut
03-26-2015, 12:20 AM
The large selection of lower power scopes is pretty amazing. It's going to take a while to digest all the features and attributes. Very interesting!-Three44s

I agree, good glass is almost cheap these days but often a bit higher price buys durability and better coatings. The 2-7 class of scopes fits nicely on a Marlin, the fixed 4 and 6 power scopes are worth a look as well.

Wayne Smith
03-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Two things, If your apex predator is black bear and not grizzley I think you will find the 35 Rem will do anything the 45-70 will do with less recoil - thus faster second shots. Second, if you decide to go with the reciever sight you will need two lengths of screws, one long and one short. Lyman sells them. I'm not sure what the thread is or if you could get them at the local hardware store.

northmn
03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Standard thread for installing receiver sights is the 6-48 which is rarely available anywhere but in a gunsmith type supply house like Midway USA or Brownells. When I look at durability, as mentioned, I keep the scoped guns in a inexpensive but padded hard case. One of the plastic ones with a foam liner. I also forget that MN is kind of strict and requires guns to be transported unloaded in a case where more civilized states permit one to be carried uncased and loaded with an empty chamber. I still feel a padded case is a good way to transport a scoped rifle as mine get taken over some pretty rough landscape on a 4 wheeler. A good scabbard might also be as important as the scope.

DP

Three44s
03-27-2015, 12:10 AM
........................................... The 2-7 class of scopes fits nicely on a Marlin, the fixed 4 and 6 power scopes are worth a look as well.

TXGunNut,

I have a Bushnell 2-7 with the firefly and a older Weaver in 4X already.

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
03-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Two things, If your apex predator is black bear and not grizzley I think you will find the 35 Rem will do anything the 45-70 will do with less recoil - thus faster second shots. Second, if you decide to go with the reciever sight you will need two lengths of screws, one long and one short. Lyman sells them. I'm not sure what the thread is or if you could get them at the local hardware store.

Wayne Smith,

No grizzles yet and the black bear connection is a lot less prevalent than the cougar incidents thus far.

Your point is well taken and was a tipping point for me to buy in on the .35 Rem cartridge.

I have smaller revolver cartridges and their guns and used them to build a training bridge towards the .44 mag and later to the .480 Ruger.

Another thought is that my wife may well use the "35" later on. She is a great shot and has a history of claiming some of my guns ........ and that's just fine by me!

As I could not stand having the waffle top not capable ....... I borrowed a Williams 5D off another Marlin for the time being ..... indeed, two screw lengths and they were both there with the sight I transfered this evening.

The waffle top 35 rem is not "naked" anymore!

Looks good!

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
03-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Standard thread for installing receiver sights is the 6-48 which is rarely available anywhere but in a gunsmith type supply house like Midway USA or Brownells. When I look at durability, as mentioned, I keep the scoped guns in a inexpensive but padded hard case. One of the plastic ones with a foam liner. I also forget that MN is kind of strict and requires guns to be transported unloaded in a case where more civilized states permit one to be carried uncased and loaded with an empty chamber. I still feel a padded case is a good way to transport a scoped rifle as mine get taken over some pretty rough landscape on a 4 wheeler. A good scabbard might also be as important as the scope.

DP

I am big on scabbards.

I use them for my "tractor guns" that I keep every day on the ranch ........ into my truck in the morning ..... out into whatever tractor I might be running ....... and back to the truck and back home at the end of the day ..........

You have to be cognizent of the optics and be more gentle moving them around but they fit in smaller places on tractors and other equipment and accessing the firearm is very fast. A more compact solution inside my truck also.

My State prohibits any loading of guns on motorized vehicles ....... sans concealed carry and for that .......... only the concealed side arm. As such I lean towards a detachable magazine equiped long gun for daily carry on the ranch.

The Marlin flies in the face of that but then it is a more comforting piece of protection when walking into cover looking for an apex predator as opposed to a varmint calibered bolt gun.

Best regards

Three 44s

Mk42gunner
04-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I tend to like the smallest possible scope on lever actions, like the small straight tubed Leupolds. My Marlin 336SC currently wears a 1-4X VX-II, while the undrilled 1950 vintage 336A wears a steel Lyman 56LA. Both like the RCBS 35-200.

I like the 1.5-5X too but wouldn't turn down one of the older 2.5 or 3X scopes for a rifle meant for under 300 yards.

Its more about the clear sight picture than magnification.

Robert

Three44s
04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Robert,

You might be surprised, but I use 6x for coyotes on get with it varmint guns ........ so lower power is my friend.

A Marlin in .35 Rem to me is about larger animals under potentially fast dynamic conditions, I have my fly shooters and the .35 is not in that crowd .....

....... unless you want to blow the wings off them as it passes close by ........ you mentioned clearness, I'd add brightness and field of view .... the wide view probably being the most essential.

I have been looking over the field of new low power optics and quite frankly .... there a #$%@# lot of choices ...... I am getting cross eyed looking at all of them .......

I have a 5D Williams that I borrowed off another Marlin I have to get by for the time being.

My front sight is too short and a taller one is in order ........ last weekend I fired my waffle top up and was hitting 9 inches high at 100 with the Hornady FTX ammo ....... all that a local store had ........

A taller sight won't cost much and I'll have to get at that ...... and I have to get around to some casting for it as well ....... that could likely lower my point of impact and delay the need for a taller front .....

Thanks for the info!

Three 44s

TXGunNut
04-01-2015, 11:18 PM
A taller sight won't cost much and I'll have to get at that ...... and I have to get around to some casting for it as well ....... that could likely lower my point of impact and delay the need for a taller front ..... Three 44s

I think I'd order a mould rather than a front sight, you may be closer than you think.
I've been getting more into low-powered scopes over the years; my Guide Gun sports a low powered (1.5-5?) variable and as mentioned above my 35 Rem does quite well with a 2-7 mid-sized scope on it. I went old-school on a nice older Savage recently and ordered a new Weaver 6X, looks right at home on the old girl.
I put a full-sized scope on my 35 Rem to verify scope issues a time or two and didn't like the way it looked. Shot just fine, just looked a little top-heavy and clumsy to me.
None of the above rifles are meant to be especially accurate but that GG, like most GG's, will give most bolt guns a run for their money.