PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else making buckshot?

rbstern
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
A while back, I bought a Lee .310 double cavity round ball mold, with two things in mind: 1) Making .30 cal plinking loads with the round ball and 2) casting buckshot.

It's an easy mold to work with. Slow, with only two cavities, but the balls drop without fuss, and it's a simple matter to crank a couple hundred thru the mold. I keep it on my casting cart to use when I am waiting for other molds to cool or heat up, and I will sometimes just make some round ball between other casting to change the repetitive motion of using the six banger molds.

I take the pristine balls and use them for pipsqueek 30-30 rifle loads. Everything else goes into the "buckshot yogurt cup." The .310 ball diameter puts it halfway between a 0 and 1 buckshot. Call it 0/1 buck.

So far, I've experimented with 9, 12 and 15 ball rounds. They fit perfectly,stacked in threes, inside a 12 ga wad cup. The balls weigh in at around 40 grains, and 9 is approximately 7/8 ounce of lead.

I chrono'd my 9 ball load right at 1200 fps. This was over 20 grains of Red Dot in a Rem hi brass buckshot shell. Recoil is nicely shy of normal 00 buck loads, and it produces a nice, tight pattern at 20 feet. I've had good patterns with the other loads, but have not shot them across the graph yet. Also need to try them at longer range. Also planning to try them with a taller wad for a neater crimp, and some Promo...could this get any cheaper? :-D

Remington hi brass buckshot hulls are usually discarded after being once fired. Sporting clays folks won't use them. They are cheap (a penny) when bought once fired online. They work great for this application.

As best I can figure, it's about 7 cents a loaded shell. Hard to find an effective buckshot round for that kinda chump change. Gonna perfect my load and make a big pile of them.

The .30 cal rifle experiments were 5 grains of Red Dot, and turned out to be great fun, decently accurate with 22LR rifle velocities. Would be great for small game out of a 30-30 levergun. Unfortunately, we can't do that (legally) here in GA.

Interested to read about other buckshot experiments.

Junior1942
03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I use the same mold, same 9 ball load with Pryodex RS in my T-C black powder shotgun for deer hunting. Never killed a deer with it, but it shoots great.

smokemjoe
03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Think thats slow, I use a lyman S.C., I use them in my 30 Cal. muzzling rifle and pistol. Joe

Bob Krack
03-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I've been working on a load(s) for the .308 and the 12 ga.

So far tried 17.7 and 15.6 grains of Red Dot in a 2-3/4" 12 - good results with both. Patterns less than 2-1/2" at around 20 feet. Very low recoil and not too loud compared to factory loads.

The .308 does very well as far as short range accuracy using 2.7 to 4.6 grains of Bullseye. Louder than a .22 long rifle but quieter than a .22 magnum.

Trying cereal fillers in the .308 but very cautious because of several warnings.

More information over the next several days...

Vic

JMax
03-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I've got a Saeco 4 cavity 32 cal mold I used to use to make buckshot with. I loaded 9 pellets in a WW yellow wad and trap loads for effective buckshot loads that didn't lead the barrel. It now sits under the loading bench and has not been used for years.

Nazgul
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
I use the same Lee mold. I keep 2 off them by the pot, either use them in between the other molds or sometimes as a stress reliever, cast as many as fast as possible. They don't have to be perfect for blasting buckshot at the targets.

Fun to use.

DLCTEX
03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
I cast three sizes of buckshot and have worked up loads using data from Lyman's shotshell manual. The height of the brass has nothing to do with the strenght of the csae. I use the low wall cases for high power loads, but mark them on the case with a sharpie to designate what is inside. I haven't tried round balls in 30 cal. yet, as the only one I have at the moment is a 7.62X39, but I have shot round ball in my 45 ACP with good success on rabbits and small critters. I don't load them hot enough to cycle the action, just rack the slide. It is easier to keep up with the brass. DALE

Nardoo
03-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I have a Lyman dual cavity 00 Buck mould. It works great but I have to cast 225 balls to load one packet of cartridges that my sons shoot off in about five minutes.

They work just as well as factory shells on the feral pigs. And cheaper. I would really like a gang mould though - that would speed up the whole process.

Nardoo

twotoescharlie
03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
quite a few years ago I purchased a slingshot mold from Doit molds, it turns out buckshot size balls ten at a time,been using it for many years.

TTC

Bob Krack
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
In further checking, I failed to mention that my buckshot mold is the Lee .311.

Straight wheelweights give .312 to .3125 diameter, 44gr to 45gr with most being right at 44.4grains.

I load ten balls IF I can get the tenth to stay centered for the final crimp.

It's usually easier to just load nine, but I just can't resist seeing the tiny speck of lead showing in the center of the crimp when ten load properly!

Don't remember if I already said so or not but the loads pattern under 2-1/2 inches at around 20 feet. I will check the pattern at longer range and report in a few days.

Vic

Curly James
03-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Vic,

You mentioned this last nite on the chat. How is velocity/recoil with your loads. I loaded some up with some .310 ball a friend gave me several years ago and they worked fine but I think was only putting 8 or 9 buck in the shell. There is a guy on e-bay who sell a gang type mold, I may have to give thos a try again soon.

rbstern,

What part of Georgia are you from? And how did you chrono the loads?

Bob Krack
03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Vic,

You mentioned this last nite on the chat. How is velocity/recoil with your loads. I loaded some up with some .310 ball a friend gave me several years ago and they worked fine but I think was only putting 8 or 9 buck in the shell. There is a guy on e-bay who sell a gang type mold, I may have to give thos a try again soon.

Yes Curly,

I am loading 9 - .311 round balls in a 2-3/4 inch 12 gauge Mossberg modified choke.

I have been using 17.7 grains of Red Dot powder and have tried 15.6 grains of Red Dot.

Short range accuracy is terrific. Recoil is very soft. Noise level is a little less than commercial loads.

I don't have access to a chrony so I have no idea about velocity.

It was nice chatting.

Vic

Bullshop
03-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Making Buckshot!?! You mean kinda like a Frankenstine? I always knew there was something strange about him. So what, is there like a kit or something? I wouldnt mind getting one. Any special tools needed to assemble one?
BIC/BS

ovendoctor
03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Vic,

rbstern,

What part of Georgia are you from? And how did you chrono the loads?

I ordered one,it should be here this week

takes too long 1 at a time

I load a low recoil load with 6 pellets @ 1400fps

EMC45
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Been loading some Birdshot (1 1/8 oz.) in shells with 700X that I used to use for handgun loads. They shoot great, but running out of shot, and I aint buying any soon with these prices. But you have convinced me to order a .311 mold from Graf on my next order. I am using a Lee hand loader that was given to me from a member of another site.

wonderwolf
03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not much of a shot gun person anymore but I still have some around. Along with plenty of paper, plastic and metallic hulls for them. Lots of wads (fiber and otherwise) from auctions and such. I think somewhere I have a little hand loader for 12ga as well. This might be something to do and make a supply of buckshot like others have stated as the price of shot is I wont be loading that anytime soon.

My Q is this, is the load the same for 1oz of shot as it is for a 1 oz slug or 1oz of buck shot???

would there be any problem using buckshot hulls (range pickup) or do they require being resized and such? WOW looks like I need to read up on shotgun shell loading :Fire:

Curly James
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Ovendoc,

if you don't mind I would love to hear a report on this mold as I have been considering purchasing one myself. I am curious as to quality, the size of the balls, and how well it casts. Take care, CJ.

ovendoctor
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Ovendoc,

if you don't mind I would love to hear a report on this mold as I have been considering purchasing one myself. I am curious as to quality, the size of the balls, and how well it casts. Take care, CJ.

yep we will do:mrgreen:

ovendoctor
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
looks very nice

going to run some tonight[smilie=w:

ovendoctor
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
just ran 30# threw the new lead pot

the gang mold works nice:)

the finish is a little rough but the halves match up nicely

it will do better wen its broke in better

the shot is running +/- .002

but wat do you want for buck shot[smilie=1:

plain leather gloves are not a good choice,the handles get very hot

one draw back is ya gotta cut the spews off each piece

a small price for running a lot of shot at one time:mrgreen:

carpetman
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Just Donna---he aint no Gov you know.

DLCTEX
03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Wonderwolf: No one answered your question yet, so yes, the hulls do need to be resized in the brass portion. The hand loader you have should have a die for it. No, you don't just exchange buck for shot. You really need to get a manual, such as Lyman's Shotshell Manual and follow the data to have safe reloads. You can make some decent buck loads using the old fiber wads and cards, but better results can be had with plastic wads and buffers. It depends what you want to do with the loads. For close range blasting, most any combo (within guidelines) will work. For hunting the carefully assembled buffered loads will really shine. DALE Carpetman, what say???

wonderwolf
03-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Wonderwolf: No one answered your question yet, so yes, the hulls do need to be resized in the brass portion. The hand loader you have should have a die for it. No, you don't just exchange buck for shot. You really need to get a manual, such as Lyman's Shotshell Manual and follow the data to have safe reloads. You can make some decent buck loads using the old fiber wads and cards, but better results can be had with plastic wads and buffers. It depends what you want to do with the loads. For close range blasting, most any combo (within guidelines) will work. For hunting the carefully assembled buffered loads will really shine. DALE Carpetman, what say???

Ok thanks, I have lots of load books, though the shot shell specific ones are at home and not with me at my apartment here at school. I have all sorts of wads and cards so I can experiment when I get around to it.

Is there any difficulty in resizing the buckshot hulls?

DLCTEX
03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
No problem with resizing, the low brass ones are easier, and as I stated above, just as strong. DALE

lar45
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I bought a couple of the Do-It sling shot moulds. They turn out a pile of balls in a hurry. The bad part is no sprue plate, so you have to cut them off with side cutters and try to get a close cut. I've thought about milling it down and makeing a sprue plate for it, but too many other projects to do first.

I have loaded some of the cluster bombs for 12 ga. They are 4 balls connected in a square pattern, you can stack 3 of them in a shot cup. I loaded useing slug powder charges and they shot nice groups at 25 yards. The 3 clusters stayed fairly tight at that range. Maybe 2" outside or less. I borrowed the mould and wouldn't mind getting one, but they are around $85+.

Greg
03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
TwoToeCharlie & OvenDoctor

which Do It mould number do you have and what size round ball do it cast??

Inquiring minds want to know

looks very nice

going to run some tonight[smilie=w:

quite a few years ago I purchased a slingshot mold from Doit molds, it turns out buckshot size balls ten at a time,been using it for many years.

TTC

6pt-sika
03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a pair of guns that are strictly for "buckshot" .

One is a Remington 11/87 with a 21" rifle sighted screw choke barrel in Special Purpose finish . And the other I just recently acquired , a Sparten 12 gauge SxS with 20" barrels , single selective trigger and screw in chokes .

These guns are used exclusively on the eastern shore's of Virginia and Maryland for Sika deer when we are "walking up" .

In the past I had used Remington's (then) Hevi Shot buckshot in OO . Now they have ceased to make this and have gone to copper plated Winchester 2.75" Supreme . But this stuff id still almost $2 a shot .

So in the past couple weeks I have been thinking of getting a Lee 6 cavity .33" round ball mould and casting them from straight Linotype . I have 50 pounds of Lino and have not used it in rifle bullets , so I figure 50 pounds of buck should last some time !

What I need is input on using pure Lino and loading practices . I am thinking of getting 100 new Cheddite cases in 2.75" with high brass . Also need ideas on what shot cup/wad to use and also powder choices . I would like my load with 9 pellets to be around 1300-1400 FPS . Also do you use buffer in these loads ?

As always any help or info is appreciatted !

6pt-sika
03-21-2008, 09:02 PM
It is also possible now to get new brass 12 gauge 2.75" shells now and RCBS makes a special die just for them !

I am thinking this may be a good way to approach this idea ! Although I am not sure I want to shoot those expensive brass hulls in a 11/87 [smilie=1:

I do not own a shotshell reloader at this moment and the only ones I have ever dealt with were the older Ponsness Warren 800B's and 800C's . Well I also had a PW 375 for 16 and 10 gauge but used it very little .

Have a guy at work who has three either Hollywood or Texan shotshell loaders that look new . Think I can get them all for $50 or less . That may be my number one option !

Since I will never load more then say 25-50 of these at a sitting speed is not the main issue [smilie=1:

Bob Krack
03-22-2008, 11:37 AM
So in the past couple weeks I have been thinking of getting a Lee 6 cavity .33" round ball mould and casting them from straight Linotype . I have 50 pounds of Lino and have not used it in rifle bullets , so I figure 50 pounds of buck should last some time !

What I need is input on using pure Lino and loading practices . I am thinking of getting 100 new Cheddite cases in 2.75" with high brass . Also need ideas on what shot cup/wad to use and also powder choices . I would like my load with 9 pellets to be around 1300-1400 FPS . Also do you use buffer in these loads ?

As always any help or info is appreciatted !

Good questions.... Lymans shotshell manual (or another) a must for developing a hunting load!

I found that even the .311 round balls are near maximum size and sometimes oversize for a 12Ga. Seems that if each ball lies with the sprue cut straight up or straight down the diameter of the three balls combined - inside the wad- SOMETIMES would deform the case sidewalls. Hmmmmm.

Let's see if I can explain a little more clearly.... Without actual dimensions in front of me, let's say the ball is .312 in the major diameter but when measuring across the flat of the sprue cut, the diameter(?) might be only .305 or so. So - if the flats (sprue cuts) face outward in the wad, or if they face the adjoining ball, the effective overall outside diameter (of the shot column) will be somewhat less than with the flats up or down.

I see no way to insure the orientation of the flats, so my opinion is to use a slightly smaller diameter shot and buffer to fill the wad and to prevent deformation.

In my opinion, you probably could gain projectile mass and help both yourself and someone else by trading some of the linotype for wheel weights or straight lead.

For a home defense load, I use nine .311 (.312 to .3125) round balls as cast from the Lee two cavity mold. Straight wheelweight alloy, water cooled. I load over 17.7 to 15.6 grains of Red Dot, which is well below the recommended max loads.

Off the top of my head, the .33 ball will be around 50 grains giving you around 140 shot per pound. Your 50 lbs. should yield around 7000 projectiles or 750-800 cartridges.

Good luck and I am certain you will get many more opinions on your questions here.

Your mileage may vary.
Vic

6pt-sika
03-22-2008, 03:45 PM
In my opinion, you probably could gain projectile mass and help both yourself and someone else by trading some of the linotype for wheel weights or straight lead.

For a home defense load, I use nine .311 (.312 to .3125) round balls as cast from the Lee two cavity mold. Straight wheelweight alloy, water cooled. I load over 17.7 to 15.6 grains of Red Dot, which is well below the recommended max loads.

Off the top of my head, the .33 ball will be around 50 grains giving you around 140 shot per pound. Your 50 lbs. should yield around 7000 projectiles or 750-800 cartridges.

Good luck and I am certain you will get many more opinions on your questions here.

Your mileage may vary.
Vic

My reasoning for the .33" round balls is being closer to actual OO Buck . These are purely for deer hunting purposes hence my reasoning behind using pure Lino , I already have a fairly good supply of WW's . But since in the past harder factory loaded buckshot loads seem to group better I "assume" that home made buck from Lino should prove the same .

At the moment I have been doing some testing with Copper plated OO buck in 9 and 12 shot loads all 2.75" of course. But my intended animal for these loads typically will not average much over 50-60 pounds . So with some more thought perhaps O buck will be large enough for the desired effect .

In all actuality it will most likely be cheaper for me to just bite the bullet and purchase 5 or 6 boxes every season even if they are about $8.50 a box . By the time I get a mould , wads , buffer etc etc the price has added up considerably . However should factory loaded buckshot become hard to come by I would have no worries .

Also if one is not intrested in casting their own buck , you can purchase OOO , OO and O from Hornady as well as copper plated OO buck from Speer .

I wonder is there a fairly "easy" way for us to copper plate our own home made buck shot ?

Three44s
03-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Have you thought of trying Ballistic Products?

They have a manual just for loading buckshot with their wads.

They also sell just about every shot and buckshot size known to man in a number of styles.

Three 44s

6pt-sika
03-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Have you thought of trying Ballistic Products?

They have a manual just for loading buckshot with their wads.

They also sell just about every shot and buckshot size known to man in a number of styles.

Three 44s

I have looked at some of their products a little but I have not looked into them to far . Perhaps I should [smilie=1:

I wanted to keep my components as something that was easy to get . Like from my local dealers .

lar45
03-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I have the Lee load all in 12 ga and it works fairly good. It doesn't take too much time to load up 20-40 rounds. The only thing I've loaded on it so far is slugs and the cluster bombs. The Lee bushings seem to always throw the powder charge too light, so measure the powder and adjust as needed.

sundog
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I use the same Lee mould. 9 ball 12 g loads are dandy. I also bought some #2 from BPI and they stack four to a layer for a 12 ball load that also shoots purdy durn good. Also do the Lee 1 oz slug (with a felt wad under it).

So, in order to tell what's in the load, I got a bunch of Fiochi clear hulls (BPI again). Sure makes it easy to tell what's loaded.

I'll second having a load manual for buck and slug. Saferer than sorryer.

Tracy
03-25-2008, 02:00 AM
just ran 30# threw the new lead pot

one draw back is ya gotta cut the spews off each piece

a small price for running a lot of shot at one time:mrgreen:

They might even work better at short range, if you leave the sprues on![smilie=1:
In fact, a few years ago I tried loading "buckshot" using sprues left over from casting bigbore revolver bullets. I think I got about 7 in a 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell. As I recall, they shot well at close range.

6pt-sika
03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I have two dealers that I frequent within 6 miles of me !

I went to one of them saturday looking for Hornady buckshot with no luck !

Today I went to the other and was looking around !

He had 3 boxes of Hornady OO buck sitting on the floor , 5 pounds in each box ! Same as what now comes in the bag .

Anyway he had $12.95 on each box so I "casually" took ALL 3 to the counter and paid for them !

Then I asked if he could get Speer copper plated OO Buck . He checked his distributers on his PC and said none had any or listed it . So I'm standing there looking at something and he goes "holy ****" . I look up and he says $28.99 .

I ask for what ? And he says , thats what the buckshot will cost you when you need some more !
I laughed and told him I already knew Midway was selling it for about $25 and asked if he wanted to change the price any on what I had bought ? He said no , I try not to take advantage of this guy as he tends to look out for me on things I may need and are hard to get !

So at the moment I have 15 pounds of Hornady OO buck for loading !

Also looked in his Lyman shotgun loading manual and it says use the red AA12R wad and SR7625 in reguler old Winchester AA skeet hulls . It also said if you wanna load with buffer , fill the case with however many buckshot you are using then slowly fill the crevices with buffer . It also said turn on your case cleaner and hold the loaded case with buck and filler inside and let the vibrations sift it down into the case between the shot . And keep up until the filler is even with the top shot !

Now this is sounding not as hard as I was expecting !

I think however that I will lay off the idea of making my own buckshot for awhile !

By the way the load I saw that I liked called for 9 pellets , SR7625 powder , the AA wad an hull and filler ! With an estimated velocity of 1450 FPS !

That is right what I'm looking for !

Now if I can get them loaded well and keep all 9 pellets inside 20" at 30 yards all will be good [smilie=1:

HTRN
03-29-2008, 02:37 AM

They still sell them (http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=88)

A quick comparison with shot weights and it appears that the "BB-20" mold casts sizes close to 000 and #1, based on the weights mentioned. Does it have a sprue plate, or do you have to cut the sprues with pliers?

And oh, for those of you who own Mastercasters, Magma sells a .330 roundball mold.

HTRN

DLCTEX
03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I loaded some buckshot for my daughter-in-law for home defense. The full power loads were a bit much for her so I reduced the powder(21 gr. SR7625, AA wad,9-.311 balls, in a Winchester field load hull). They work well in my 1100 with mod. choke, we'll let her test them in the short, cyl. bore soon. I cast them with a Lee mold and mixed ww and pure lead 50-50. Straight ww might have been better, but I had some pure in the pot and just added to it. DALE

sundog
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Dale, that load looks just fine to me.

House is dark. Noise in the hallway. ID as someone who shouldn't be there.

RACK - RACK! The shadowy figure KNOWS what it is - even if he's never heard it before.

At that point, if you need to pull the trigger, the shadow will be a shadow of his former self. But you better be prepared for a really bright light and a really load noise. RACK - RACK (just in case, gotta be prepared doncha know. who knows, there may be more than one).

If you're lucky, you'll only have to replace a broken window - the one the shadow dove through on the way out, post haste - just after that first round being chambered. Otherwise, figure on some new carpet as all those holes will prolly leak pretty good. Then when you get hit with a wrongful death civil suit, you counter sue for replacing the carpet and maybe even environmental cleanup if the perp had some kinda disease.

chunkum
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
This project is one I took on back in the mid 60's. I was overseas and had to get my supplies from the APO and, if the polythelene powder was available then, I was unaware of it. I had only one shotgun - a drilling in .30-06 and 12 gauge. My goal was to keep pellet deformation to a minimum. I measured the bores of the 12 ga barrels at the choke and from the tightest barrel measurement, I calculated that, to fit three to a layer, taking a polyethylene shot sleeve into account, the buck shot maximum dimension would be 0.319". The closest Lyman mould to this was 0.313" (not sure if it's available any longer or not), and I ordered one along with a simple Lyman cast iron pot and a dipper. Lynotype was available on base, I think from the print shop there. Anyway, after moulding the shot, I carefully packed them in corn meal (after returning stateside I switched to the polyethelene powder - both gave good performance) in the AA hulls from the skeet range on the base and star crimped them in the Lee Loader hand tool I'd acquired (maybe from Herter's - not sure). I don't recall the charge (it came from the old Lee handbook - probably the oldest LOL) , but these loads of 9 linotype-cast buckshot, three to a layer, patterned (no chrono available to me then) much better than the commercial loads then available that we were using to hunt the Russian boars in the local reforested Eucalyptus groves there in Turkey. I never had a chance to kill a boar with one of these loads but, after returning to the states and to MS after processing out, I did have a couple of really devastating one shot kills on mature whitetail bucks (we mostly hunted the swamps back them with Walker dogs). I also recovered a few of the cast linotype buckshots and while you could tell where they had touched one another in the loaded shells, any deformation from firing was essentially undetectable. So the theory that the shot would fly "truer" if the deformity from upset on firing, from sliding along the bore, and from going through the choke could be minimized, was pretty well borne out by the results. In otherwords "It works!"
Best Regards
chunkum

DLCTEX
04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Sundog: I'm in Texas and DIL is in Florida. Both states have castle doctrine, which protects from lawsuit when defending home and property. DALE

Sam
04-04-2008, 02:11 AM
I use the Do-It slingshot mold.
If you are running it just a bit on teh hot side, the sprue will break off without cutting.
Otherwise I just throw the whole thing in my tumbler with some pencil lead. They get broken off the sprue while tumbling and polish up nice and round.

Sam

BAGTIC
04-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I too have been using a Do-It slingshot pellet mold for years. DON'T cut the sprues off. Break them of by twisting, it will be much cleaner. Jus like when casting fishing jigs, sinkers, etc.

Casting buckshot is one place where it is really workwhile to drop them in a bucket of water to quench/harden them. Hard buckshot is more accurate and penetrates better.

boca
10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
I am using the lee .311 to load shotgun loads can someone please give me some load data for 2 3/4 shells and 1 1/2 loads using win cases and waa12r wads and any 3 inch loads also with the same wads and heavy loads
Anyinfo helpful

missionary5155
10-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Another option on the buckshot molding is the use of split shot sinkers for fishing. I do not have my molds down here so I have to work off memory. Do-IT has several size molds. I bought a couple that cast 4 different sizes. Just drill out the "Slit spacer" and the mold casts 4 different sizes... there are several Sinker size molds so look for the one that has the smallest ball about 1/8 inch. The other mold cavities increase in diameter by about 1/16 inch per ball. The balls may not be perfect. Alignment pins are not Presision on these molds. There is another brand (Mold Manufacturer) that has a removable steel plate for the spacer. The one I have seems better quality. Yard sales in fishing areas are a source along with E-bay.. Again these MOLDS do NOT cast perfect balls... But the molds are inexpensive and high flying crows do not seen to mind what smacks them.

chaos
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
By the way the load I saw that I liked called for 9 pellets , SR7625 powder , the AA wad an hull and filler ! With an estimated velocity of 1450 FPS !

That is right what I'm looking for !
[smilie=1:

This is the load that I am using and It DOES NOT call for any Filler. Its pretty damn hot to boot!