PDA

View Full Version : Skillsaw vs lead pipe

fecmech
03-20-2015, 04:52 PM
A plumber who has done some work for me in the past dropped off some lead pipe for me,approx 15-20'. I tried the ax routine but that's way too much work! I cut all these pieces in less than 5 minutes. One inch dowel rod cuts harder than this pipe did.

frkelly74
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Skilsaw wins, YAY!!! sweep up the sweepings there. I hope you had on your goggles. Any joints where pipes were soldered together will be some tin rich stuff.

pworley1
03-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Power tools are wonderful.

bstone5
03-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Manny years ago I cut up lead pipe liner from an abandoned ice plant that was used to make ice blocks for railroad cars when the produce from South Texas was shipped north in railroad cars.

A Skill saw cut this lead liner very easily. The lead liner was inside tile pipe.

I was going to college at the time and sold the lead, this was many years back. Also got a lot of copper wire out of the old ice plant which was also sold.

rsrocket1
03-24-2015, 11:55 AM
I used a reciprocating saw to cut up my lead. I clamped it in a Workmate bench, held the sawsall with one hand and squirted WD40 as a "lube" and let gravity push the saw down through the lead. I used a free Harbor Freight tarp to catch all the shavings (about 1 pound) and scooped them into the smelter. The tarp was a great idea passed on from someone else. I did not know how much lead would have been wasted had I not caught it.

Frank46
03-24-2015, 11:24 PM
I gotta tell this story. We had three 65,000 gallon water storage tanks where I worked. Someone decided that only one was needed. Had the old style steel rods and tightened with nuts. Well contractor comes in and starts cutting them up and since they were lead lined neatly starts to stack up the lead as he proceeded to cut the tanks up. Comes into our control room one day and asks if anyone was taking the lead. Since none of had wheels at the time we said no. But when he left for the day you'd see a station wagon load up and drive off. Frank