PDA

View Full Version : New snubbie?

Lead melter
03-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Looking in a local pawnshop today and ran across a couple of NIB Taurus Ultrlight 38 Special 5-shooters for $199. Never had any experience with these, but they are Plus-P rated, and I believe carry a Lifetime Warranty. Might be just the ticket with shot loads in the 'snaky south'.
Anyone got any advice?

JIMinPHX
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
If they are imported by Braztech, then they have a lifetime warranty. If they carry an Interarms stamp, they have no warranty. I've had poor luck with South American revolvers. I've found the alloys to be soft & the small variations in dimensions that they employ to be poorly chosen. The small diameter cylinder stars are a prime example. If it's a Braztech & you're getting clean paperwork with it, then go for it. if you can't get factory service, then I'd walk away.

Oops,
that was Rossi, not Taurus.
my goof up.

lathesmith
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
That's a great deal on those Ultralites. I have owned one for around 3 years and I love mine. I have never fed it anything really hot, just standard pressure stuff, but mine handles most cast loads very well. One of my favorites is a Lyman 358495 200 gr "hammerhead" over a modest charge of Bullseye. It gets around 620 fps and is very accurate. Two things about these light snubbies: recoil can be surprisingly sharp, and the 2" barrel is sometimes a challenge for older eyes. But they do what they do about as good as any handgun in their class--a lightweight, easily concealable powerhouse.
lathesmith