PDA

View Full Version : Gregorelli-Uberti

Hankster1962
03-20-2015, 10:58 AM
I own a very early model, Gregorelli-Uberti 1851 36 cal Navy cap and ball. In those days they were imported by Navy Arms. Anyhow, I have to replace the loading lever, as a small section of the end holding the locking latch broke off. I spoke with a gentleman at VTI gun parts and he was saying that the modern Uberti lever should fit, but MAY require some minor fitting. I tried long and hard to keep things original but over the years, I have had to replace pieces and parts. Looking for some valuable input from anyone who knows anything about these revolvers. Thanks

Dan Cash
03-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Just replace with what is available. The gun is not now and never will be a collector item. Fi it and enjoy.

jaystuw
03-22-2015, 01:18 AM
A Gregorelli-Uberti 1851 navy, s/n 20, is on Gunbroker at this very moment for a thousand bucks. Will it sell at that price? Probably not. Are they collectable? Who's to say. It does seem like they are higher priced lately. The ones I see are in the 250 to 300 range. Anyway, I really like them. Have 3 and wish I bought a few more. The fit, finish and contours are really great. Almost hard to believe that the first repro revolver turned out this well. But they were expensive, About 90 or a 100 bucks in the late 50's/early 60's! At the time, surplus lugers were going for under $40.00. Jay

Hankster1962
03-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Ordered the part from VTI, still did not get it yet. When I do, will let you know how I make out. I really enjoy shooting cap and ball. Thanks for your help.

Hankster1962
03-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Got the part in the mail today and installed it right after getting home from work. The plunger screwed into the loading lever perfectly and did the loading lever on the barrel assembly. The latch would not lock into the barrel, as the latch was a little to thick. A very light filing job, fit the part in perfectly. Total assembly time was about 10 minutes. Works beautifully, and looks awesome. Thanks to the courteous and knowledgeable staff at VTI gun parts and members on this forum. Will shoot it tomorrow. Safe shootin everyone.

jaystuw
03-28-2015, 04:28 AM
Hankster, Glad to hear that with only a little fitting the latch worked out, You are back in business again. But I am a little jealous that you are out shooting today, That's exactly what I feel like doing. how about posting to let us know if your day of plinking worked out good. That might motivate me to plan a day of revolver shooting myself! Jay

Hankster1962
04-06-2015, 09:18 AM
hey there jaystuw, had a great day when I went out. Shot indoors though, almost got smoked out. I own and shoot just about everything, rifles, shotgun and handguns. Done the PPC thing, IPSC thing, trap, etc. Something about going back in time that just makes me relax. Cap and ball does it to me. The long loading time, the smoke, the loud noise. Again, I had a wonderful time. Shot my 1858's in 36 and 44 cal, and my 36 Navy. Even like the dismantling and long clean up time. Hope you were able to get out yourself. Hankster